Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
More likely to be sold then since he only got one year left on his contract and said that he wants to move on if he doesnt get the chance in Brighton this season.

Injured. Probably going on loan somewhere. According to Dutch media, Heerenveen are eager to have him back but Brighton wanted to have a look in order to perhaps loan him out to a better team / league.

BDB, Webster, Dunk, Veltman Duffy & Roberts would probably be fine but if the two mentioned above leaves and Roberts or Duffy also moves, a new CB is likely to arrive - if the intention is to play three at the back for the majority of the season.

With BDB injured, Veltman currently our only fit RB/RWB, Roberts untried, and Duffy coming off a stinker of a season in what everyone on the Edouard thread insists is a league that’s a lower level than the Championship, I’d say that looks very light! We surely have to be confident of bringing in someone (either CB or FB) if we’re letting Leo go on loan.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Which will mean that we are bringing in a central defender or that Duffy stays in the squad.... or both.

As much as I like Duffy, if he wasn't good enough for us last season (or Celtic) I can't see him being good enough for us this season?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As much as I like Duffy, if he wasn't good enough for us last season (or Celtic) I can't see him being good enough for us this season?

With White gone, there is less competition. Duffy played quite a lot in GPs first season and while he looked not exactly made for what GP wants to do, he wasnt bad. Yes he had a poor season in Celtic but there were some serious personal circumstances involved.

Optimally, Duffy would have been sold this summer. But quite likely there is absolutely zero interest from any team that could afford his wages, and then you have to adapt to that reality. BDB, Dunk, Webster and Veltman are all fine PL central defenders able to do what GP wants them to (in BDBs case perhaps not gracefully but he is a better baller than Duffy). To have Duffy as their backup wouldnt be the worst thing, its a cheap and fairly reliable solution, and I'm sure Duffy is 100% aware of his own situation - cant see him moaning about not playing much.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With the Duffy thing, we're going backwards. In the sense he obviously was not really in Potters plans, so much so he was happy for him to go on loan rather than made him fight for a place, so if we are now expecting a 29 year old Duffy to have suddenly become the kind of player Potter wants we're going to be disappointed I think.

It is slightly intriguing that we hear about 'succession' plans for players, the manager etc but with White leaving it seems we aren't really sure what we should have been doing next

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It is slightly intriguing that we hear about 'succession' plans for players, the manager etc but with White leaving it seems we aren't really sure what we should have been doing next

Not sure that's fair. You can't plan for literally every eventuality... ordinarily Lamptey, BDB would be fit, allowing us more scope to phase in Ostigaard or Hayden Roberts to the squad as the season progresses.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure that's fair. You can't plan for literally every eventuality... ordinarily Lamptey, BDB would be fit, allowing us more scope to phase in Ostigaard or Hayden Roberts to the squad as the season progresses.

That came from Dan Ashworths mouth not mine ! Lamptey has spent more time injured than fit so not sure he is a dependable member of the squad at the moment. Agreed re: BDB but still fairly wafer thin margins, especially as Dunk / Webster have also only just returned. And sounds like Ostigard would be going out on loan again regardless + not convinced Roberts is ready for PL football after 1 season on loan at Rochdale

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Had hoped Ostigard would of been ready but Stoke is a decent loan .

All points towards Duffy being well involved this season.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

We were threadbare last season too when we had White. Moder at LWB, Gross at RWB. You'd think we'd have something lined up based off that and the fact White leaving was hardly a surprise. We currently only have six defenders of Potters required standard.

That said there probably is something in the works, it's just taking a little longer to finalise than would have been ideal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the Duffy thing, we're going backwards. In the sense he obviously was not really in Potters plans, so much so he was happy for him to go on loan rather than made him fight for a place, so if we are now expecting a 29 year old Duffy to have suddenly become the kind of player Potter wants we're going to be disappointed I think.

Let's face it, White out, replaced by Duffy is a massive downgrade on last season. I'm therefore expecting a solution of some kind - just not perhaps one that any of us are currently able to predict.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
With White gone, there is less competition. Duffy played quite a lot in GPs first season and while he looked not exactly made for what GP wants to do, he wasnt bad. Yes he had a poor season in Celtic but there were some serious personal circumstances involved.

Optimally, Duffy would have been sold this summer. But quite likely there is absolutely zero interest from any team that could afford his wages, and then you have to adapt to that reality. BDB, Dunk, Webster and Veltman are all fine PL central defenders able to do what GP wants them to (in BDBs case perhaps not gracefully but he is a better baller than Duffy). To have Duffy as their backup wouldnt be the worst thing, its a cheap and fairly reliable solution, and I'm sure Duffy is 100% aware of his own situation - cant see him moaning about not playing much.

As much as I like your posts for being level headed do you really see Duffy being a Premier League player next season? I've been a big fan of Duffy since we signed him( Duffy, Dunk solid wall) but that has gone now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As much as I like your posts for being level headed do you really see Duffy being a Premier League player next season? I've been a big fan of Duffy since we signed him( Duffy, Dunk solid wall) but that has gone now.

Yes I think he will be part of the squad, where else would he go?

Unless there are two or more CBs out (which could happen at some point) I doubt we'll see much of him though, and if there is any chance of offloading him I think he'll move on.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes I think he will be part of the squad, where else would he go?

Unless there are two or more CBs out (which could happen at some point) I doubt we'll see much of him though, and if there is any chance of offloading him I think he'll move on.

if we play 3 at the back and we need Veltman RWB.

He's pretty much in.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
if we play 3 at the back and we need Veltman RWB.

He's pretty much in.

It all depends on a lot of things - formation, injuries and whatever happens in the last three weeks of the transfer window, but I would be very surprised if Duffy is in a starting eleven more than 5 times this season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Soooo.
This leaves us with 4 centre backs as our only recognised first team defenders to play Burnley. Dunk, Webster, Duffy and Veltman plus a LWB in March. At least Potter won’t have too much of a headache over which defenders to pick :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's face it, White out, replaced by Duffy is a massive downgrade on last season. I'm therefore expecting a solution of some kind - just not perhaps one that any of us are currently able to predict.

As this is the only conclusion that can be reached I find it odd that so many haven't reached it.

If a short term job needs to be done, then The Duffster will do it, before thundering off to his prearranged loan (transfer) elsewhere, at the 11th hour.

It's ridiculous to think the club would hold up Ostigard, Van Hecke or anyone else's march towards 'The Next Ben White' just to sit on the bench for 3 games this season, as the window slams shut.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
white.jpeg

To

duff.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here