Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oscars 'style'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just posted this on the other Oscar thread but I'll post it up here despite this blatant "look at me!" troll thread:

I've just had a little look at the stats for Maccabi Tel Aviv's championship winning season for 2012-2013:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ma..._119_2012.html

It seems like Oscar mainly used at least 2, sometimes 3 strikers. With various permutations of 4-3-3, 5-2-3, 4-4-2 and 5-3-2.

He never once used a lone striker up front.

I'm wondering why he changed his attacking philosophy after coming here, especially regarding the lone striker. Is it because he thinks Ulloa's the only decent striker we have? Did he have a look at our crop of players and decide to stick to Poyet's formation (pretty much) because he perceived that was the best way to play to their strengths?

I think he could be a great manager for us if he was really allowed to mould the team into playing the way he played with Maccabi.

Trouble is we'd need to buy at least 3 strikers and keep Ulloa if we were to regularly play 2 up front next season.

Oscar has 2 more strikers. He left Mackail-Smith on the bench for 80 mins & Hoskins has had no game time since coming back from injury.
He's playing with 1 striker through choice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Feel free to flame.

Our chairman loves a yes man (I.e. Oscar). We would be top two right now under poyet (that is the underling reason why people are unhappy).

We are not good enough. Derby could have scored more, looked threatening each time they attack (makes it even worse when they had one shot on target yet looked more dangerous). We probably had 65% possession and we only looked threatening for the first ten minutes. So much for this 'attacking' crap, we simply look like an ineffective side, exactly like the side in our first year in the championship.

Under Oscar we will NEVER be promoted. Not complaining just stating how it will be. Feel sorry for the guy, but at least march looks like a top top player (how does Orlandi play instead of him?!?!?). I think LONG term under Oscar we can grow to be a decent side but sadly our support will fade away after seeing the football poyet had us playing for his final 3 months.

Something doesn't feel right and I'm sure it will come out in the summer.

The final three months after he had made it clear he was off!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Feel free to flame.

Our chairman loves a yes man (I.e. Oscar). We would be top two right now under poyet (that is the underling reason why people are unhappy).

We are not good enough. Derby could have scored more, looked threatening each time they attack (makes it even worse when they had one shot on target yet looked more dangerous). We probably had 65% possession and we only looked threatening for the first ten minutes. So much for this 'attacking' crap, we simply look like an ineffective side, exactly like the side in our first year in the championship.

Under Oscar we will NEVER be promoted. Not complaining just stating how it will be. Feel sorry for the guy, but at least march looks like a top top player (how does Orlandi play instead of him?!?!?). I think LONG term under Oscar we can grow to be a decent side but sadly our support will fade away after seeing the football poyet had us playing for his final 3 months.

You are profoundly wrong. That is all.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Poyet's first season in the Championship - 10th place

Garcia's first ever season in English football - 6th place.

Incredible.

But Garcia is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

With his BAGS of experience in English football, the millions we've spent on top quality signings and the full squad of players he's had to choose from all year he MUST do better.

I would also like the moon given to me on a stick.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Top six finish after an injury plagued season and you slate the manager ?, as for Poyet all he would of done is complain about the budget and tout himself for the Leeds job.

Well said, we are still playing with what is Poyets team, Oscar's will emerge over the next three seasons. There will be changes in the summer with the players who are out of contract

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So lets look at the facts - We made the play-offs and narrowly lost to a better side after a bit of bad luck.

All the trolls/moaners/bed wetters who've been quiet for the last few weeks all of a sudden come out of the woodwork claiming some kind of vindication that they were right all along and we're crap, oscar is crap, all the players are crap,tony has no ambition.

How stupid do you have to be!!!!! :facepalm:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I just posted this on the other Oscar thread but I'll post it up here despite this blatant "look at me!" troll thread:

I've just had a little look at the stats for Maccabi Tel Aviv's championship winning season for 2012-2013:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ma..._119_2012.html

It seems like Oscar mainly used at least 2, sometimes 3 strikers. With various permutations of 4-3-3, 5-2-3, 4-4-2 and 5-3-2.

He never once used a lone striker up front.

I'm wondering why he changed his attacking philosophy after coming here, especially regarding the lone striker. Is it because he thinks Ulloa's the only decent striker we have? Did he have a look at our crop of players and decide to stick to Poyet's formation (pretty much) because he perceived that was the best way to play to their strengths?

I think he could be a great manager for us if he was really allowed to mould the team into playing the way he played with Maccabi.

Trouble is we'd need to buy at least 3 strikers and keep Ulloa if we were to regularly play 2 up front next season.

Interesting, but it makes me wonder .... if his instincts are more attacking, why didn't he bring on CMS earlier, it was crying out for him. Incidentally, it's nice to see how CMSs sharpness looks to be completely back after such a bad injury, would just like to see more of him, although probably not from the start

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Feel free to flame.

Our chairman loves a yes man (I.e. Oscar).

Seriously, what on earth do you mean by this? Are you suggesting that Tony influences team selections, tactics etc and Oscar blindly does his bidding? Utter rubbish. Is he a yes man because he doesn't bitch about the budget made available to him? If so then you must believe Gus was a hero for moaning week in, week out about the money he had to spend. It's a mark of Oscar's professionalism that he doesn't go shooting his mouth off...oh but of course, that makes him boring and a passionless dullard :facepalm:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We were VERY lucky at Forest and probably won in spite of Oscar, not because of him.

Yes we were lucky, but in spite of him? Despite setting up the team, making the subs and coaching the team. Amazing

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We were VERY lucky at Forest and probably won in spite of Oscar, not because of him.

Yes we were lucky, but it was Oscar who made two substitutions in CMS and Lua Lua, both of whom combined to setup Ulloa for the winner.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm still not 100% convinced by Oscar, but this thread is ludicrous. We played well tonight, I think Oscar managed the team very well, and we are still in with a real shout if we match that level of performance on Sunday.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Feel free to flame.

Tedious prick.

Yes, you are of course completely right - Tony Bloom is an insecure incompetent who does not have the first idea about how to run anything, let alone a football club. His only concern is the protection of his own fragile self esteem.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's guided someone else's team to 6th - highly competent pragmatic management in my view. Let's see the sort of players he signs in the summer. I hear he wants pace in his team and lots of it and we don't have that in abundance right now.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
He's guided someone else's team to 6th - highly competent pragmatic management in my view. Let's see the sort of players he signs in the summer. I hear he wants pace in his team and lots of it and we don't have that in abundance right now.

Pretty much this I think he has decided to stick with a similar style due to the personnel at his disposal, the summer signings will go a long way to determining where Oscar is the next Messiah or Saddam Hussain reincarnated (there does not seem to be a middle ground on here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here