Oscar

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hope you're right. We're not far off a very good team at this level. I have real faith in Oscar and don't understand people having a go at him.

Looking at the fact that 3 of our first team are loans to replace them, if we do, plus a couple more to strengthen the squad, which I think will be needed in The Championship next season, would mean replacing half of the first team so a difficult summer looms.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Looking at the fact that 3 of our first team are loans to replace them, if we do, plus a couple more to strengthen the squad, which I think will be needed in The Championship next season, would mean replacing half of the first team so a difficult summer looms.

True but I don't think Andrews is first choice. If we had Ince, Stephens and Crofts all available and fully fit, I think he drops to fourth choice. Hopefully Ward will stay and then we only have to replace Lingard.

The key signings are a creative midfielder and new first choice keeper (as I'm assuming Kuszczak will go if we're not promoted)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not sure about him playing the hand his has been dealt, how many times did he play Barnes and Ulloa together when he had the opportunity, Lita what was the point to sit on the bench, even when he scores. The ultra defensive set up is not progressive and a point that should be made, on speaking to those who watched the game on Sky who are not Seagull fans, they unanimously said how boring to watch we were. If your not going to attack Oscar, don't tell us that you want to. What we have seen this season is a disjointed approach, alarmingly for me the most attacking selection we saw was against Hull at home when he was not too concerned about the result and look what we produced. I want us to go up, I'm a Brighton through and through but I'm not sure that Oscar can rise to the challenge. Apart from the public mild manner and the long ball he's not far behind Poyet in the boring 'passing game' approach.

Did they enjoy watching Derby then? If there was one team that was set up ultra defensively it was them. And why were they set up like that? Because they knew that if they came to play us at our own game, they would have lost.

Our problem is not that we are not attacking (we were camped in their half of the pitch for most of the game), but rather we do not have the guile to break teams down that sit back. And that is a problem that we had Under Gus as well, not just under Oscar.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is a really important point. The antis keep trotting out the rubbish that Oscar had a proper pre-season when he had nothing of the sort. The transfer activity this summer is going to show Oscar's real hand, he knows all the players in the squad and he knows who fits in his plans and who doesn't. If it's true that we've signed a midfielder already it proves how different the situation is when you've got a manager already planning for next season rather than one who is refusing to deal with the retained list.
Lets see how the team sets up in the first half of next season and then we'll all be able to make a proper judgement.

Completely agree. Considering the pre season he had and the number of injuries we've had, Oscar has done an amazing job. Really don't understand why anyone is questioning his position.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's funny though that we even take notice of a tiny number of people advocating getting rid of OG. There's probably only a handful even on this board who keep banging on about it and out of those at least are couple are either trolls or doing it for "comic" effect.

But just so we are clear - the ONLY way this club will have long term success is to stick with a manager and give him time to build his team. And certainly back a manager who has succeeded in getting us to the play offs in his first season with virtually both hands tied behind his back with injuries and departures. Even now he's somehow successfully managing a team where Buckley can't last more than one half (at best), Lua Lua, Bruno, Upson, CMS and Orlandi have to have their injuries managed, Stephens, Crofts and Hoskins are still out, the likes of Ince, March and JFC are young and still learning their trade and Agustien has issues.

I also have no doubt that should we lose tomorrow a few idiots will come out of hibernation and start rattling the Oscar out cage again - almost as though they only see fit to comment when we lose. A very odd mindset.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
True but I don't think Andrews is first choice. If we had Ince, Stephens and Crofts all available and fully fit, I think he drops to fourth choice. Hopefully Ward will stay and then we only have to replace Lingard.

The key signings are a creative midfielder and new first choice keeper (as I'm assuming Kuszczak will go if we're not promoted)

I disagree about Andrews as I would think that he is above Ince in pecking order and Oscars assessment. I think that he is the most likely of the loans to sign. He is taking his badges so could be utilised as a squad player and coach the youngsters at the Academy

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's funny though that we even take notice of a tiny number of people advocating getting rid of OG. There's probably only a handful even on this board who keep banging on about it and out of those at least are couple are either trolls or doing it for "comic" effect.

But just so we are clear - the ONLY way this club will have long term success is to stick with a manager and give him time to build his team. And certainly back a manager who has succeeded in getting us to the play offs in his first season with virtually both hands tied behind his back with injuries and departures. Even now he's somehow successfully managing a team where Buckley can't last more than one half (at best), Lua Lua, Bruno, Upson, CMS and Orlandi have to have their injuries managed, Stephens, Crofts and Hoskins are still out, the likes of Ince, March and JFC are young and still learning their trade and Agustien has issues.

I also have no doubt that should we lose tomorrow a few idiots will come out of hibernation and start rattling the Oscar out cage again - almost as though they only see fit to comment when we lose. A very odd mindset.

This.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Completely agree. Considering the pre season he had and the number of injuries we've had, Oscar has done an amazing job. Really don't understand why anyone is questioning his position.

Somewhere between them being a bit thick and the modern preference for knee jerk reaction, lack of patience and an inability to take into account all the variables that affect a situation.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Maybe it's that whole director of football vs head coach thing?

I do find it interesting that you are the only one who, in my opinion, is correct to identify this issue.

People are talking about replacing Oscar as though everything is his fault. If the club did replace him but continued with Burke identifying the players the manager can select from, would any of the top Premiership managers do any better with the selections Burke has made this season?

How much praise or criticism does Burke get for this seasons performance?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Am actually really looking forward to this summer the squad needs freshening up and with so many deals in the air could be wholesale changes. Be interesting to see who comes in and certainly think with a full season under his belt Oscar will have a very clear idea where he wants to take this club.

I think the key will be sourcing players who will feature consistently we have far too many injury prone players who on their day are great but to build a settled side we need players who can feature week in week out.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've got to give you credit for ignoring the facts to back up your argument.

CMS has been injured all year. He will probably feature a lot more next season playing in one of the wider roles in the front three.

As for midfield, he lost Bridcutt early in the season and developed Ince to replace him. Any credit for that? We were lightweight in midfield on Thursday without Stephens and Crofts (both injured) and Ince, who sounds like he is not fully fit at the moment. But you knew that and chose to ignore as it doesn't suit your argument.

We've also lost Barnes this season and Orlandi has hardly played. Despite this, we've come 6th in Oscar's first year in English football and could still go up. To be honest, for people to be criticising Oscar is an insult (especially between the two play off semi final legs).

Next season is different. He's had a year to get to know the division and hopefully will have some money to spend from Bridcutt's sale and any others. From his previous job in Israel, he clearly does like to attack more so hopefully we can get players to suit that style and progress. If not, then the middle of next season might be the time to questions his position but for now, every Brighton fan should be behind Oscar and the team for tomorrow!

Make no error, i'm backing him, please read the first seven words on my post. But as the season has progressed we have retreated further and further back on the field of play. Bridcutt was not a forward moving midfielder so his loss is of no consequence to the supposed attacking style of play and CMS injury is an irrelavance if you have both Barnes and Ulloa available and you chose to play only one of them. If Lita was good enpuhg to be a cover player incase of injury to Ulloa, then why wasn't he selected.That we find ourselves in the playoffs is fantastic and tomorrows game will encapsulate Oscars season in 90 minutes. I will back Oscar and every player in the team selected, but I am not in the minority that believes this seasons football has been at times boring, without a plan and disjointed and if we are serious about promotion to the top football division in the owlr dthen we need to be able to replace injured players otherwise we are just kidding ourselves.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This is a really important point. The antis keep trotting out the rubbish that Oscar had a proper pre-season when he had nothing of the sort. The transfer activity this summer is going to show Oscar's real hand, he knows all the players in the squad and he knows who fits in his plans and who doesn't. If it's true that we've signed a midfielder already it proves how different the situation is when you've got a manager already planning for next season rather than one who is refusing to deal with the retained list.
Lets see how the team sets up in the first half of next season and then we'll all be able to make a proper judgement.

I'll reserve my judgement on what you say, but will point to the achievements of Pulis, Rossler and even Gus who had less time to get to know their squads and achieved more. There was similar talk on here last year about a five year plan and it would be better to not go up, just sometimes we have to be a little more certain in what we want. Bloom will give OG some more time, hopefully in the premiership, but there is too much jam tomorrow on here, we had a great oportunity last year and still have a great one this year lets hope we can take it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Make no error, i'm backing him, please read the first seven words on my post. But as the season has progressed we have retreated further and further back on the field of play. Bridcutt was not a forward moving midfielder so his loss is of no consequence to the supposed attacking style of play and CMS injury is an irrelavance if you have both Barnes and Ulloa available and you chose to play only one of them. If Lita was good enpuhg to be a cover player incase of injury to Ulloa, then why wasn't he selected.That we find ourselves in the playoffs is fantastic and tomorrows game will encapsulate Oscars season in 90 minutes. I will back Oscar and every player in the team selected, but I am not in the minority that believes this seasons football has been at times boring, without a plan and disjointed and if we are serious about promotion to the top football division in the owlr dthen we need to be able to replace injured players otherwise we are just kidding ourselves.

You may have said you back him but your post does not back that up. In terms of Bridcutt the point is he was a key player in the last two seasons and barely played so Oscar was at a disadvantage compared to previous years.

In terms of Barnes/Ulloa, they were hardly ever both available. Barnes missed a couple early on, came back against Reading where Ulloa was sent off and then injured on his comeback. Ulloa was not fit enough to start then until mid December and Barnes left a month later.. Oscar clearly did not rate Lita, hence he hardly played.

In terms of replacing injured players, that's down to budget and when you have so many injuries, it is very tough. We've had a minimum of 3/4 players out every game this year. Look how Forest dropped with a few injuries and they spent a lot more than us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'll reserve my judgement on what you say, but will point to the achievements of Pulis, Rossler and even Gus who had less time to get to know their squads and achieved more. There was similar talk on here last year about a five year plan and it would be better to not go up, just sometimes we have to be a little more certain in what we want. Bloom will give OG some more time, hopefully in the premiership, but there is too much jam tomorrow on here, we had a great oportunity last year and still have a great one this year lets hope we can take it.

Both Gus and Rosler took on squads that were under achieving. Wigan should have been top 2 and Coyle did a poor job. Di Canio had an awful start at Sunderland. Pulis has done well but that shouldn't undermine Oscar's achievement in getting us to 6th.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Both Gus and Rosler took on squads that were under achieving. Wigan should have been top 2 and Coyle did a poor job. Di Canio had an awful start at Sunderland. Pulis has done well but that shouldn't undermine Oscar's achievement in getting us to 6th.

I would suggest that Garcia inherited a pretty good squad, too.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Anyone asking for Oscar to be sacked is a joke. End of. The #OscarOut hashtag was a joke after beating Leicester because they scored one. :ffsparr:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm in the 'let's see what Oscar can do next season' camp. Thanks to that tw@t Gus, we had a very disrupted summer leading up to this season. This summer there are no excuses. Next season will be Oscar's team, so let's give him a chance. Oh, and even raising a question re Oscar's future with us the day BEFORE the 2nd leg is ridiculous.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Anyone who wants Oscar out needs their ****ing head testing.

Got us into the play offs with someone else's squad, after a turbulent summer and with an insane amount of injuries to key plays.

I really do think that half our fans are complete pricks and after the atmosphere we provided for our team Thursday night, it's half of us that should go.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You may have said you back him but your post does not back that up. In terms of Bridcutt the point is he was a key player in the last two seasons and barely played so Oscar was at a disadvantage compared to previous years.

In terms of Barnes/Ulloa, they were hardly ever both available. Barnes missed a couple early on, came back against Reading where Ulloa was sent off and then injured on his comeback. Ulloa was not fit enough to start then until mid December and Barnes left a month later.. Oscar clearly did not rate Lita, hence he hardly played.

In terms of replacing injured players, that's down to budget and when you have so many injuries, it is very tough. We've had a minimum of 3/4 players out every game this year. Look how Forest dropped with a few injuries and they spent a lot more than us.

Ok, we can agree to differ, with CMS fit to a degree of more than 10 minutes lets see what kind of a team set up we have for a do or die match. Cometh the hour cometh the man, should we go with one up front and five across the mid field? I so want us to win tomorrow and well enough to proceed, lets see what happens. I'm not calling for Garcia s head, far from it, just want to see the attacking style promised when he joined us, knowing fully well what squad he had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports