Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Would agree there, but other than Bridge, Hammond and Dicker what changed for him.

Squad wise not much as Ward, Andrews, Lingard and Chickson are the only Brighton players, bench and starting against Derby, signed post Gus. Also bearing in mind all the key injuries we have had, Ulloa, Crofts, Orlandi, Buckley, CMS, now Dale Stephens, and KLL in the early part of the season we have been down to our bare bones and had to use Ince, March and JFC. Great for their experience but not ideal at the time.

I would say that with all this considered Oscar has had a weaker squad to work with, but achieved more than Gus in so far as we have scored one goal in the playoffs, rather than 0 in 180 mins.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Squad wise not much as Ward, Andrews, Lingard and Chickson are the only Brighton players, bench and starting against Derby, signed post Gus. Also bearing in mind all the key injuries we have had, Ulloa, Crofts, Orlandi, Buckley, CMS, now Dale Stephens, and KLL in the early part of the season we have been down to our bare bones and had to use Ince, March and JFC. Great for their experience but not ideal at the time.

I would say that with all this considered Oscar has had a weaker squad to work with, but achieved more than Gus in so far as we have scored one goal in the playoffs, rather than 0 in 180 mins.

I can agree that OG has achieved more than Gus, but both styles have been similar and equally boring at times, producing few goals in search of a certain style of football. OG has suffered badly with injuries but his mindset is clearly on the defensive strategy that we see with his team selection ad game plan. he started the season moving the ball forward quickly with a lot of movement in midfield and an urgency about our game. This has slowed over the season as is now laborious and predictable, if not pedestrian at times. I know we are on the eve of a second leg playoff but this is what I have seen across the season and feel that we could have done more. I accept that I do not know what happens behind the scenes but the outcome we have seen at e Amex this year has been disappointing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can agree that OG has achieved more than Gus, but both styles have been similar and equally boring at times, producing few goals in search of a certain style of football. OG has suffered badly with injuries but his mindset is clearly on the defensive strategy that we see with his team selection ad game plan. he started the season moving the ball forward quickly with a lot of movement in midfield and an urgency about our game. This has slowed over the season as is now laborious and predictable, if not pedestrian at times. I know we are on the eve of a second leg playoff but this is what I have seen across the season and feel that we could have done more. I accept that I do not know what happens behind the scenes but the outcome we have seen at e Amex this year has been disappointing.

I agree that it hasn't been perfect and there have been some awful games, but as well as finding a way to play to the players strengths there is a compromise in having to play to their weaknesses as well. When you have a player like Lopez on the wing we have to play differently to when Buckley is there. It’s more about the personnel than the strategy. Last season I really felt as if the players were strictly cautious in their approach and I always sensed an element of fear and playing it safe. This season has been about drilling the fear out of them and getting them playing outside of their comfort zone even when they get it wrong.

I am sure Oscar has been pulling his hair out himself sometimes this season but all he can do is teach them where they went wrong after the event.

Hopefully we will see a seasons worth of work tomorrow.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
You have already been proved wrong!

We made the play-offs which was the target at the start of the season. It's clear that you're not going to change your opinion no matter what Oscar does, you are just going to keep moving the goal posts to suit yourself.

It's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain cell or two that 95% of the teams in the Championship aim for the play offs at least or there would be no point playing each week and the rest aim for mid or to stay up.
My opinion is he's the completely the wrong manager for Brighton. Awful tactics, squad rotations at this level are ridiculous especially if certain players have excelled on the pitch and in training then you don't see them for weeks and they're not injured either. What's all that about ?
As a team Albion have been very lucky this season to end up in the play offs. Lucky being the operative word.
Losing and drawing games at home we really should have won and had we have done so, could have ended with automatic promotion.. Not, that , that would make him a great manager by a long shot. He was also probably cheap to get in too, like a lot of our end of season bargain bucket players we have had here like Dobbie, Lopez, Vicente, Harley, Orlandi, all free or cheap.
They have done ok well a few have, but you will see, I think or hope a fair few of them go at the end of this season including Oscar.
The only people that " change the goal posts " to suit themselves are people who if we don't get promoted this season will almost certainly be on here next season saying " I told you he wasn't the right manager " after saying what a wonderful manager he was a few months before. Ha ha ha !! It happens every season.
I lost faith in him months ago, especially his no shooting ever from outside the box policy ( well it certainly looks like that)
deep crosses and corners to the invisible 8ft 9in striker standing by the the opposing corner flag, ridiculous squad rotations, bad tactics, and shite substitutions.
I have given my reasons I rest my case !!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting analysis... They're both coming back from career threatening injuries.

Are either of them ready and/or playing well enough to guarantee a starting berth?

One has played 90 minutes in a DS game & come off the bench several times in a League match. The other has played, publicly declared himself fit, but whether the manager thinks he's playing well enough is opinion. He is capable at this level to contribute.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
... deep crosses and corners to the invisible 8ft 9in striker standing by the the opposing corner flag..

Haha, I liked this bit!

It's going to be a busy summer transfer wise, whatever league we're playing in. Let's hope he (and DB) can get some quality in. I genuinely think we're not that far away from being a really decent side. A bit of creativity in midfield and another striker of Jesse's ability plus some general squad improvements should see us a top 4 side.

No judgements on Oscar from me until this time next year.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Having read through all the posts 1 thing stands out that is missing, no one talks about the team. Yes the TEAM, it's all about the coach, the players who should have played, the ones not picked, but the talk should be about the TEAM because this season we haven't seen the TEAM. Nearly all season the 11 played at the start of each game has changed, poor form, injuries, tranfers, etc. the I can't get my head straight so I can't play, all this has affected the TEAM. In any sport where a group of players come together they have to know what their team-mate is going to do in a certain situation, you can talk about it but it can different when you come to try it and IMHO this is the problem at the moment and has been all season. For numerous reasons the TEAM has chopped and changed, the best teams use the less players because they all know their job and they fit together in to the system, this season has been a mess in that the best 11 have not played together for any length of time and the coach can only pick what's available and can't put the ball in the net.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain cell or two that 95% of the teams in the Championship aim for the play offs at least or there would be no point playing each week and the rest aim for mid or to stay up.
My opinion is he's the completely the wrong manager for Brighton. Awful tactics, squad rotations at this level are ridiculous especially if certain players have excelled on the pitch and in training then you don't see them for weeks and they're not injured either. What's all that about ?
As a team Albion have been very lucky this season to end up in the play offs. Lucky being the operative word.
Losing and drawing games at home we really should have won and had we have done so, could have ended with automatic promotion.. Not, that , that would make him a great manager by a long shot. He was also probably cheap to get in too, like a lot of our end of season bargain bucket players we have had here like Dobbie, Lopez, Vicente, Harley, Orlandi, all free or cheap.
They have done ok well a few have, but you will see, I think or hope a fair few of them go at the end of this season including Oscar.
The only people that " change the goal posts " to suit themselves are people who if we don't get promoted this season will almost certainly be on here next season saying " I told you he wasn't the right manager " after saying what a wonderful manager he was a few months before. Ha ha ha !! It happens every season.
I lost faith in him months ago, especially his no shooting ever from outside the box policy ( well it certainly looks like that)
deep crosses and corners to the invisible 8ft 9in striker standing by the the opposing corner flag, ridiculous squad rotations, bad tactics, and shite substitutions.

Writing a long post like that doesn't mean it makes sense. That is the biggest load of rubbish I've seen.

We weren't lucky to come 6th . In fact, we've been very unlucky with injuries and still got into the play offs.

I really find it hard to believe you're actually a fan. Maybe Man City or Chelsea might be better for you.

Luckily there is no way Oscar will go this summer . Next year, if he's allowed to bring his own players in over the summer, will be the time to judge him.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Blimey, keep digging Baz!! All of this stuff exists only in your mind.

The bit in bold, do you honestly think that Oscar runs training sessions where he teaches them to kick the ball out of play? Just a hunch, but I think the players on the pitch might be messing up what they've been told to do :facepalm:

As I said you're clearly never going to change your mind. If we'd finished 7th you'd be claiming you were right all along. We finished 6th and it was down to luck. If we win the league next season you'll probably just say it was a weak league and everyone else was shit!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Writing a long post like that doesn't mean it makes sense. That is the biggest load of rubbish I've seen.

We weren't lucky to come 6th . In fact, we've been very unlucky with injuries and still got into the play offs.

I really find it hard to believe you're actually a fan. Maybe Man City or Chelsea might be better for you.

Luckily there is no way Oscar will go this summer . Next year, if he's allowed to bring his own players in over the summer, will be the time to judge him.

I particularly liked the list of players that were supposedly cheap. Unbelievable - just because transfer fees weren't excessive (although dobbins fee may well have been) agent fees and wages mean they were anything but cheap

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I particularly liked the list of players that were supposedly cheap. Unbelievable - just because transfer fees weren't excessive (although dobbins fee may well have been) agent fees and wages mean they were anything but cheap

It feels like a drunken pub rant when all his mates would just nod to humour him and then take the piss the next day. I'm a little worried for his sanity

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I agree that it hasn't been perfect and there have been some awful games, but as well as finding a way to play to the players strengths there is a compromise in having to play to their weaknesses as well. When you have a player like Lopez on the wing we have to play differently to when Buckley is there. It’s more about the personnel than the strategy. Last season I really felt as if the players were strictly cautious in their approach and I always sensed an element of fear and playing it safe. This season has been about drilling the fear out of them and getting them playing outside of their comfort zone even when they get it wrong.

I am sure Oscar has been pulling his hair out himself sometimes this season but all he can do is teach them where they went wrong after the event.

Hopefully we will see a seasons worth of work tomorrow.

I can only agree with you on the fear side of the game last year, as it appeared that our keeper would never take a long kick, preferring a short pass even when it brought danger. I thought at the beginning of the season that had been unshackled as the ball was moved forward with pace and accuracy, but as the season has progressed it is as if Poyet has returned to the dressing room. Incessant passes across the back four, slow, deliberate build up allowing the defending team to bring players back. Can you remember how well we played against Leicester at home with two superb passes from Lopez, both goals on the break, whats happened to that style and flair. I'm sure Oscar has been very anxious inside, but he sets the tone of the team and the game plan and is in control of the strategy and approach to the game. WE just seemed to have retreated as the season has progressed. Lets hope he gets it all out today!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Your be one of the ones on here in October /November saying I told you Oscar was crap people like you always do on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here