Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar: “The club has been aware of my thoughts for several weeks"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The only good thing that can be said about this ( and I'm clutching at straws here) is that if TB has known about this "for several weeks" he may well have already got someone in mind and this mess can be sorted out quickly. As I say - I'm clutching at straws . . .

No I think you may be right, there is no way they would have sat on their hands...... We will hear an appointment has been made by the end of the week I reckon.....they will not want to have this phoney war scenario again....appoint, move on.....make us smile again......plus a nice high profile appointment will generate some nice ST interest.....

Plus someone will have to discuss retentions and discards......thorny subject I know.

Stumpy Tim

Heard at the remf that his wife and family have moved back to Spain quiet some time ago as they wasn't settled in the UK, hence the reason the club have know this for some time

Well my daughter is in the same class as his kid at school. She was there today, yesterday and all this term. Her mum picks her up every day. She was at a kids party 2 weeks ago.

Crap rumours like this do no service to anyone.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Heard at the remf that his wife and family have moved back to Spain quiet some time ago as they wasn't settled in the UK, hence the reason the club have know this for some time

And i reckon that probably is the reason.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No one was "desperate enough". He's a ****ing good manager.

I am not disagreeing. I may have used dramatic language but the point was he didn't walk straight into another job. He had to wait until Sunderland panicked because Di Canio was haemorrhaging points. So in that respect Sunderland were "desperate" in that they could not afford to let their slide continue and needed to make a change. And it turned out to be a very good one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We never did get to the bottom of Gus' leaving and you just know exactly the same thing will happen here. We're left in the dark. Again.

well not really, as we didnt get to the bottom, we dont know the reasons then and we dont know the reasons now. it obvious what everyone want the reason to be (begins with a B...), but we dont know that they are the same reasons entirely. the two managers are so different in personality and the manner in which they conducted themselves in the last few games such contrast, that i think it a tad simple to assume as much as everyone is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For me this is the most concerning part of the whole affair. He may have handled himself with more dignity than Gus but the net outcome is the same. He's told the board, before the season is up, that he won't be staying, even when we were still in with a shout of potential glory.

What is so rotten inside our club that these men cannot stand to stick at it? You're in a lovely location with a fantastic stadium, excellent facilities, huge crowds and what looks to us on the outside as a pretty decent setup... But something obviously isn't right.

What is it that stinks? What is the problem here?

By picking inexperienced managers do we leave ourselves open to this kind of behaviour because they've not seen enough of the footballing world to know what it's really like and reckon the grass may always be greener elsewhere? Or is there a genuinely deeper problem that we have to address?

We never did get to the bottom of Gus' leaving and you just know exactly the same thing will happen here. We're left in the dark. Again.

Some very good questions and very good points. Without reading the replies I can guess that a fair number will tell you that it's best if it all stays in-house, we have no right to know and trust Tony. We used to play at Withdean in front of 5,000 you know! Those are obviously their opinions and fair enough, but those of us who aren't sheep-like mug punters really would like to know the answers - and feel we deserve them. (And yes, dear sheep-like mug punters, I'm well aware we probably won't get the answers)

EDIT: Although having read the replies there aren't that many of that ilk! Maybe most fans have now realised that there IS something that we should know. I'm impressed.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well i liked the guy and wish him well in whatever he does next

Word. In a few years time will look back and think 'blimey that bloke on tele managing [big team most likely Barcelona] managed us once'

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My guess is the club promised to reinvest player sales back into the club or increase the playing budget and to comply with FFP this is no longer happening. That is pure speculation but would be enough for a coach to decide he cannot reach the aims he had for the club and walk

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Best spend more money, as that means ambition.

We did not need to spend a great deal in football terms , 2 decent strikers would have done it, our midfield ,defence and goal keeper have been outstanding.But now we have relegation as a possibility on the horizon if Tony does not get his checkbook out

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
simple guess. He's been told fibs.

been there done that . . . I'm self employed now.

money's shit, but you can't argue with the T's & C's!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The whole affair has just wound me up. I genuinely can't tell whether I'm angry and disappointed at Oscar for letting us down or whether I should be sympathetic and admire his dignity in the way its come about.

I just CRAVE answers. WHY did he want to leave? HOW did he know in advance he wouldn't get what he wanted? WHAT is going on?

That CMS to Ulloa last minute marvel seems so long ago now.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It is odd that two promising young managers have quit so soon. Oscar does not reveal his "thoughts", but the club itself may have put those thoughts in his head. Perhaps the managers (or coaches) are not allowed to run their teams the way managers would wish, but the way accountants would wish, and that is not the same thing at all.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Pretty clear he perceived a disconnect between our comparative budget and expectations. Which is a problem if you don't control the playing budget but have to deliver results.

Groundhog day, then - as that was obviously Gus 'we've hit the ceiling' Poyet's concern.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I wonder if he'd still have left if promotion was achieved.

I think Gus would definitely have still gone.

Not sure about that. He made it clear all along his ambition was to manage in the Premier League, so why not with us?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The only time in his year with us that I've felt he wasn't happy about something was when he commented that we were the only team left weaker AFTER the transfer window. I think Oscar is a decent guy and does things in a dignified way. That comment suggested to me that he wasn't happy about how things went in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here