Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
We are back. Defence called Johan Stander, who was the first person Oscar phoned after the incident. He has not really added anything substantial, other than describing some crimes that took place on the estate (he was on the management committee), but Nel has confirmed that these took place a long time before this (2009) and that security has been beefed up since then. Nel had a go at him because he said that Oscar made a mistake, but Nel pointed out that this was an inference that Stander had made a not something that Oscar had said.

Just to add that Stander is OPs uncle.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
OK - Stander's daughter testified (Carice Viljoen) and basically backed up what her dad said, which was not an awful lot. The defence were expecting these 2 witnesses to testify for longer today and could not get any more available at court today, so court has now been adjourned until tomorrow. Wednesday is yet another public holiday here (general election day) but it would appear court will sit on Wednesday anyway. So that's that for today - nothing very exciting to report really.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Right, another non-eventful day really, which I think has finished and they have adjourned until Thursday.

A couple of neighbours testified having heard the help help help cries and the crying/screaming. That's about it! Opinion here is that many do not really understand where the defence are going with this, other than trying to show that his emotional state directly after the event shows that it must have been an accident (rather tenuous, but there you go). Many are also saying that this testimony is inadmissible as they are confirming a fact already in evidence, or something like that anyway (ie we already know Oscar was upset and trying to help her after the event, we do not need it to be confirmed).

Defence have said they will be finished by Tuesday next week thank goodness as, unless they are about to pull a giant rabbit out of a hat (which is very unlikely), this case is now dragging.

General Election tomorrow - could be fun.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Right, another non-eventful day really, which I think has finished and they have adjourned until Thursday.

A couple of neighbours testified having heard the help help help cries and the crying/screaming. That's about it! Opinion here is that many do not really understand where the defence are going with this, other than trying to show that his emotional state directly after the event shows that it must have been an accident (rather tenuous, but there you go). Many are also saying that this testimony is inadmissible as they are confirming a fact already in evidence, or something like that anyway (ie we already know Oscar was upset and trying to help her after the event, we do not need it to be confirmed).

Defence have said they will be finished by Tuesday next week thank goodness as, unless they are about to pull a giant rabbit out of a hat (which is very unlikely), this case is now dragging.

Thanks I was going to watch it on youtube, but I think I will skip this one now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I thought the only relevant thing was that both appeared to say they only heard a man's screams, and that they felt had a women screamed they would have heard it. Wasn't very easy to follow with the translators today.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I thought the only relevant thing was that both appeared to say they only heard a man's screams, and that they felt had a women screamed they would have heard it. Wasn't very easy to follow with the translators today.

Yeah could be, but then he didn't hear any bangs at all and she heard some bangs and then the help help help, so after the event really. I have to say, I found it rather turgid and was not really concentrating - I want them to get to closing arguments now, although any forensics expert they call may be interesting.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Just seen this:

Oscar intimidated Reeva's friend - report

Oscar Pistorius allegedly leaned forward and spoke to Reeva Steenkamp's friend during an adjournment in court on Tuesday, according to a report.

Beeld reported that Pistorius whispered "how do you sleep at night?" to Kim Myers, who is the sister of Gina Myers - Steenkamp's best friend.

Pistorius is on trial in the North Gauteng High Court for Steenkamp's murder. The incident happened during a long adjournment on Tuesday morning while the next defence witness was being fetched. Pistorius apparently stood up and walked out, lingering for a moment as he passed Kim Myers.

Myers told Beeld that she was "shocked" as well as "upset and angry" by the incident.

City Press reported that police officers saw it happen and spoke to her. A source close to the investigation told City Press he hoped Myers had been advised to lay a charge of intimidation against Pistorius.

However, Pistorius's attorney said the report was "grossly untrue", according to a tweet from journalist Aislinn Laing.

Laing also tweeted that Pistorius denied having spoken to members of the Myers family, saying he saw them in the court's corridors but they didn't look him in the eye, and he hadn't spoken to them for a year-and-a-half.

The Myers family lawyer later said Pistorius made the comment in a "very sinister tone", and that the family had been in contact with the National Prosecuting Authority, according to Laing.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Oscar_Pistorius/Oscar-intimidated-Reevas-friend-report-20140506

He says it did not happen yet he was seen doing it. I believe this is a breach of his bail conditions if true.

Some of the comments on the article on the link are interesting too.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He says it did not happen yet he was seen doing it.

Yep I saw this on a report last night, and it just proves that he lies about everything when it suits him.

Hopefully Gerrie Nel can bring him to the stand and question him on this and the people who witnessed it.

It does make it more interesting with him dropping his guard and showing his true character.

I've read that Kim Myers's dad, Cecil Myers, had the gruesome task of identifying Reeva's body, so it cuts close to the bone.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Yep I saw this on a report last night, and it just proves that he lies about everything when it suits him.

Hopefully Gerrie Nel can bring him to the stand and question him on this and the people who witnessed it.

It does make it more interesting with him dropping his guard and showing his true character.

I've read that Kim Myers's dad, Cecil Myers, had the gruesome task of identifying Reeva's body, so it cuts close to the bone.

I would think the Judge would pick up on it if there is something behind this story. We will see tomorrow if anything happens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A couple of neighbours testified having heard the help help help cries and the crying/screaming. That's about it! Opinion here is that many do not really understand where the defence are going with this
At the beginning of the trial we heard witnesses testify that they heard a lady screaming in fear of her life. If that was true, then Oscar would have known it was Reeva, and he'd be guilty. The recent witnesses are saying that's not the case, they didn't hear a woman scream at all, so Oscar's version of events could be true.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At the beginning of the trial we heard witnesses testify that they heard a lady screaming in fear of her life. If that was true, then Oscar would have known it was Reeva, and he'd be guilty. The recent witnesses are saying that's not the case, they didn't hear a woman scream at all, so Oscar's version of events could be true.

The witnesses yesterday even said they didn't even hear gun shots, and that was his next door neighbour :shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Yes, but that was before the bangs I seem to recall. These people were talking about after the bangs (as they did not hear any bangs).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The witnesses yesterday even said they didn't even hear gun shots, and that was his next door neighbour :shrug:

Yes, but that was before the bangs I seem to recall. These people were talking about after the bangs (as they did not hear any bangs).
These people didn't hear the gun shots? That's a bit weird. Even if they gunshots woke them up, you'd think they knew they woke up from the gunshots.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These people didn't hear the gun shots? That's a bit weird. Even if they gunshots woke them up, you'd think they knew they woke up from the gunshots.

The other day it was revealed that Oscar had a servant staying there who says he slept through everything and has not been called as a witness. So what was he on if he slept through an argument, four gunshots, the toilet door being broken in with a cricket bat and then Oscar's high pitched screams of anguish ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The other day it was revealed that Oscar had a servant staying there who says he slept through everything and has not been called as a witness. So what was he on if he slept through an argument, four gunshots, the toilet door being broken in with a cricket bat and then Oscar's high pitched screams of anguish ?

Good old South Africa, they have live in helpers etc and still call them Servants....

Has this "Servant" been called to the stand, it surely must be a must...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here