Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius [merged threads]

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
After the outburst from Cundy, and more especially his parents 'they have ruined his life' tirade, this group of Paralympians are not coming across at all well at the moment.

The difference is cundy should have had another start.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He cant wear longer ones at the Olympics as the IAAF wouldnt have allowed them. Their rules are stricter.
Really - how daft.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The difference is cundy should have had another start.
Have the officials said there was a mistake with the starting gate and that he should have been given a restart? I haven't seen that, I didn't think there was any evidence that he should have had a restart.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Have the officials said there was a mistake with the starting gate and that he should have been given a restart? I haven't seen that, I didn't think there was any evidence that he should have had a restart.

To me it looked pretty clear watched the video a number of times also, the bike just seems to not release on time, officials seem to think it was fine but pundits all around sporting world including cyclist have all said the start looked faulty, I mean look at out sprint team at the olympics they admitted deliberately crashing to get a restart

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well done for taking that piece out of context to the rest of my post. You misssed the piece that the rules around prosphetics by the IAAF are far more strict than the IPC - OPs blades are legal in both, Oliveiros's blades are only legal with the IPC. On that basis OP has a point but after raising it and getting knocked back he should have kept his trap shut.

all the context does is highlight exactly what im talking about. this rule, that rule, those regulations, etc, etc. debate and aregement. thats fine for the paraolympics as they seek to be inclusive. for the main athletics world best to leave it alone, there's enough to worry about trying to police drugs, without having to redwrite rules and regs on length, composition and performance of prosthetics. they dont belong in the mainstream athletics and Pistorius has shown us exactly why.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
They should give that honour to Richard Whitehead. Because he wasn't allowed, under the rules, to run the Marathon, he runs the 100m and 200m, and the most amazing thing his 200m was the most amazing thing I have seen so far

I've never seen one competitor be so much faster than everyone else in any event. Ever. Incredible.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

yet they gave the beady yank another go, funnily enough he was racing against our rider, they just hate it GB are good at cycling, both Olympics and Paralympics

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its was in the final he came out the gate, wobbled (understandably given he has 1 arm) but pulled his foot out of the pedal yards after the start claiming a malfunction, and got away with it, he went on to beat our rider and got the gold.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What was with the stunned silence in the stadium as the Brazilian swept past to win. Did they all consider it to be a one man race. Was everyone rooting for the South African?
I thought it was a brilliant finish and would have been roaring my head off, had I been there.
Some people seem to always expect the expected in sport and are shocked when anything else happens. Commentators were saying that the Brazilian was a danger.
Perhaps they just don't understand sport.

ym.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Never met a nice one.

Well I've got two south African friends. Love 'em. Very decent people. But i will say they are VERY straight with the way they speak and this often appears rude to more gentle English sensibilities. But i realise this won't affect people on NSC. :rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
After the outburst from Cundy, and more especially his parents 'they have ruined his life' tirade, this group of Paralympians are not coming across at all well at the moment.

What a f***ing ridiculous comment "this group of paralympians" 2 athletes out of thousands have got upset about supposed injustices they feel have gone against them ( Pristorious not valid Cundy yes.) And how dare Cundy lose his cool when he felt he had been cheated at an Olympic games after slogging his guts out day and night for 4 years to compete, the fact that he's known as one of the nicest guys on the disabled cycling circuit is neither here nor there.
This, and coupled with the fact that a majority of people on here don't seem to give a shite about the Paralympics and only get involved when a thread about the games appears that is sensationalist, controversial and might have the chance to slag people off, wether it be fellow posters or Paralympic athletes.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Never met a nice one.

This thread is embarrassing, In this bigoted world Americans are beady and South Africans are moaning and unpleasant and paralympians should be grateful for air time so they can be patted on the head and told 'how brave they are to compete'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This thread is embarrassing, In this bigoted world Americans are beady and South Africans are moaning and unpleasant and paralympians should be grateful for air time so they can be patted on the head and told 'how brave they are to compete'
You'd think the one lesson a commentator needs to learn prior to the games would be how not to patronise the athletes. It's unbelievable how much shit their all coming out with. When a runner came to the big stage in the Olympics and fell well short of their PB, it was acceptable to describe it as a disappointment. Not now, oh no. 'I know you finished last, and if you'd matched your PB you'd have won gold, but look at you, you managed to get out of bed this morning and you're not covered in your own vomit - well done you, we're so proud.' That aside, it's been excellent so far. Heading back to the stadium on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here