Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar has identified targets...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We'll be fine mate, we have a top 8 squad as it is, we just need two or three additions and we'll be in the play offs again. Don't panic.

This. Losing Bridge and letting Lopez go is a shame, but the additions of Ulloa and Upson mean that we currently have a stronger squad than we did up until January last season.

There's no need to panic buy before Leeds. The current squad of players will easily see us through to the end of August without having to play anyone out on their depth due to injuries or suspensions.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No chance, we can put a reasonable starting eleven out yes, but there is little flair or experience in the rest of the squad, injuries and suspensions will see us flounder,......5 players at least, two fullbacks, two decent mid fielders and another experienced attacking option.

These figures will obviously vary depending on the in's and outs of existing players in the club.

Why do we need 2 full backs? A new left back to compete with Chicksen yes but 2?
If JFC can step up to replace Hammond with Crofts then we are covered there. A replacement for Spanish Dave is a must though. As for an experienced attacking option while it would be nice it all depends on how long Hoskins and CMS are out for. The way Oscar is going to play there is only going to be room from one main striker so that would be a lot of unhappy players not to mention the wages if we got another in

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No chance, we can put a reasonable starting eleven out yes, but there is little flair or experience in the rest of the squad, injuries and suspensions will see us flounder,......5 players at least, two fullbacks, two decent mid fielders and another experienced attacking option.

These figures will obviously vary depending on the in's and outs of existing players in the club.

We've lost two good players in Lopez and Bridge, that's about it. And we've gained a couple of DS players who are looking like they're going to step up this year. The squad isn't that different at the moment. We need some signings to make a proper challenge, but we'd do OK with the squad we have at the moment. There's certainly no need to panic, we have plenty of time to make the signings we need.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We've lost two good players in Lopez and Bridge, that's about it. And we've gained a couple of DS players who are looking like they're going to step up this year. The squad isn't that different at the moment. We need some signings to make a proper challenge, but we'd do OK with the squad we have at the moment. There's certainly no need to panic, we have plenty of time to make the signings we need.

But we have also lost the likes of Dicker who made 26 appearances last season, and Hammond who made 38 we need players to be able to fill those gaps when we get injuries and suspensions. They played a decent number of games.

That is without considering the likes of Vicente (12 appearances) & Painter (4)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Think that's over the top. Need another left back for sure (although can probably play El Abd there in a pinch) and another more defensive minded midfielder. That is of course assuming we don't have any more players going out. Other than that I think we're solid, particularly once CMS and Hoskins are healed up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think that's over the top. Need another left back for sure (although can probably play El Abd there in a pinch) and another more defensive minded midfielder. That is of course assuming we don't have any more players going out. Other than that I think we're solid, particularly once CMS and Hoskins are healed up.

Calderon would do better at LB than El-Abd. E-A would get roasted alive in this division at RB let alone LB. He was shocking at Reading 18 months ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Calderon would do better at LB than El-Abd. E-A would get roasted alive in this division at RB let alone LB. He was shocking at Reading 18 months ago.

Yup. El Abd hasn't got the pace at RB. He's a bloody good Championship CB, don't waste him at RB.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

For some reason I hadn't considered that. I remembered seeing him play as a full back a few times in this division, although I'd largely put that Reading game out of my mind. What a crap day that was.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd rather see any of the following at full-back, than Adam:

Bruno
Calderon
Chicksen
Upson
Bridcutt
Barry
Barnes (really)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For some reason I hadn't considered that. I remembered seeing him play as a full back a few times in this division, although I'd largely put that Reading game out of my mind. What a crap day that was.

It was in League 1 before Whing arrived.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
But we have also lost the likes of Dicker who made 26 appearances last season, and Hammond who made 38 we need players to be able to fill those gaps when we get injuries and suspensions. They played a decent number of games.

That is without considering the likes of Vicente (12 appearances) & Painter (4)

They played a number of games, not many of them were decent!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not sure we need 2 more fullbacks. One would be plenty. I also suspect JFC will play more replacing Hammond. That leaves a replacement for Vicente so if you know of any players that can be absolutely brilliant for about 3 games a season do let us know. Agree re striker.

Going back to the OP, who said claimed there was a theory he had no involvement anyway?

Not Andy Naylor aka a well respected, Brighton supporting sports journalist mentioned it on here and twitter as a theory based on what OG did at Tel Aviv and the wording of the initial statement introducing him. That statement may have had to contain that wording as a legal necessity of course.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd rather see any of the following at full-back, than Adam:

Bruno
Calderon
Chicksen
Upson
Bridcutt
Barry
Barnes (really)

Add Orlandi to the list as well !!

Calderon actually did well at left back in the Chelsea friendly when Bridge was not available 'injured'. So as a 3rd choice emergency stand-in we have our man; but not as 2nd choice.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
CM wise Vicente meh not fussed and was largely a sub. We lost Hammond and Dicker and have Crofts and JFC (plus other DS players) but I'd like to see ONE more CM alongside Bridcutt. Kemy could be that player. Talk of needing 2 though is silly. Wages would be better spent at LB or on an attacking option who can play multiple positions.

3 players in (of quality) would be immense. 5+ is mental........ spend their wages on the 3 and get more quality in

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We've got 6 weeks yet. Yes, our first team isn't complete but as long as we've enough for the next 3 or 4 weeks we'll be OK.

Disagree. We really should be aiming to complete the squad in time for the last two friendlies to allow the new boys to 'bed-in'. That said I understand that we have had a 'difficult' close season, but we are at least 2 players short of being even slightly ready.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Disagree. We really should be aiming to complete the squad in time for the last two friendlies to allow the new boys to 'bed-in'. That said I understand that we have had a 'difficult' close season, but we are at least 2 players short of being even slightly ready.

Getafe and Sporting Gijon must have been totally threadbare then based on your assumptions...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I agree with Somerset that we need some signings in to really have the authority to make a challenge this year. I don't think Crofts can replace Hammond, from what i saw last year or in pre-season action, so we need a partner for Bridders in there. And a wily middle man with a touch to die for AND another wideman if Orlandi is to be that formerly mentioned. A couple of fullbacks seem necessary as Bruno is sadly enfeeblised too easily for a spell now and Chicksen is more a player in the making than one ready for the first team yet, i think, so we're undermanned in those positions. A few youthers COULD make the step up, but they need a hardcore 9 or 10 to really be in charge and lead them when necessary, and i think a couple of those in the middle and at fullback we're without.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here