Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia Junyent hot favourite now!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
fixtures (that'll teach me not to post without reading the thread)

Ali_Osman.jpg

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Why? The club can hire who they want, at any time, for any position.

Gus is, I believe, the club's manager. What's to stop TB hiring a 'Head Coach' for the football side of the business whilst retaining Poyet as a manager with his football responsibilities given to somebody else? He can still be our manager-only now he'll be manager of car parks and cleaning up or something equally silly. Not knowing the contents of football contracts I have no idea if something like that would be possible but something needs to be done to get a new man in as soon as possible because it appears (to all of us NOT ITK) there is zero chance of Poyet being in charge for next season. He may have done well in the 3 1/2 years or so he's been here but he doesn't appear to have The Albion's best interests at heart. If he did, he would have sorted this mess out before pissing off to Italy, Barbados and wherever the hell he is now.

If he had any intentions of managing us next season surely resolving matters would be his (and the club's) Number One Priority? Italy, Barbados and his holiday appear to be more important. In the real world outside of the football bubble people in dispute with employers don't go on holiday until things have been resolved.

EVERY job has a job description and I'm sure Gus' will include many things we'd want OGJ to do. It's unfortunatly very legal and complicated.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Can I ask why?

Why is the 'English' game is SO different to everywhere else? The rules are the same throughout the world are they not?. Most squads are multi national are they not? What extra knowledge do you need in this country that you don't in say Spain or Italy or Israel?

just seems like commonsense to me

OK if we got some bigshot from Spain,Italy or Germany fair enough,but that ain't gonna happen

picking a guy who's just won the Israeli league?

no,I would prefer an old seasoned campaigner,remember this is the championship

the old division 2,not the champions league

possesion doesn't equal goals,how many shots did we have at bottom of the league Bristol City again?

more than one way to skin a cat

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
And winning the Scottish one would probably qualify a manager for a job in the Championship.

As his background is coaching Barcelona youth, it's safe to assume our system will suit him just fine. Don't think Maccabi TA had won the league for a long time before he went there so must have something about him.

Yes it was 8 years without a title. Made up a massive amount o points. 2012 finished 7th on 55 points. This year they won the league on 83points. They were 13points clear at the end.
Israel u21 played England a week or so ago and they did ok so i doubt the league is that poor.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Isn't it obvious? It's because you have absolutely have to get it forward. You can't mess about with silly little things like, ooh, I don't know, keeping possession of the ball.

That's why England have been so successful recently

Oh right. You want to watch the ball being hoofed 70 yards from the Goalie to the big lad up top. I see. And that requires experience of the English game? Thats what kids do when they are learning to play at 5-6. Kick and rush.

I differ you see. I like the beautiful game. Passing and moving. Absolutely keeping possession, but for a purpose, not for possessions sake. When we played at a high tempo last season, we looked very, very good. I would agree that maybe, at times, the 70 hoof has its place. But not all the time surely?

And England. Successful you say? Really? Uncle Roy just realises that the players at his disposal are just technically not good enough for the possession games at an international level.

All my opinion of course.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
talking up the Israeli league on the basis of one win by the U21's is being very optimistic in my view

celtic beat Barcelona,once

where would celtic finish in the spanish league?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Oh right. You want to watch the ball being hoofed 70 yards from the Goalie to the big lad up top. I see. And that requires experience of the English game? Thats what kids do when they are learning to play at 5-6. Kick and rush.

I differ you see. I like the beautiful game. Passing and moving. Absolutely keeping possession, but for a purpose, not for possessions sake. When we played at a high tempo last season, we looked very, very good. I would agree that maybe, at times, the 70 hoof has its place. But not all the time surely?

And England. Successful you say? Really? Uncle Roy just realises that the players at his disposal are just technically not good enough for the possession games at an international level.

I was being just a teensy bit sarcastic, but never mind

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm amazed no one has questioned or seems in the slightest bit concerned, that this guy has just left a club he has won a championship with, for personal reasons. Last thing we want is another temperamental manager in charge. I would still be very surprised if Bloom appointed him.

I questioned that, but I googled about until I found out that it was for family reasons, the feeling seeming to be his wife did not want to stay in Israel. The only surprise if he were appointed would be how we managed to snag him ahead of Swansea.
I also found out that he is very well thought of by all that have worked with him as far as I can tell, he had a 70% win ratio at Macabi Tel Aviv, took them from 6th placed finish (14 teams in the division) last season to winners this season, they were 13 points clear of the second placed placed team, had a +48 goal difference, they scored 78 goals in 36 league games, he likes to play 4,3,3, and he is THE "Oscar" of Barcelona!

They split the season in Israel, after playing everyone home and away, the top 6 teams play each other again home and away for the championship and the bottom 8 play each other to avoid relegation. So 6th is the worst you can finish after 36 games if you were in the top 6 after 26 games. They had not done better than third in any of the previous 7 seasons.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
does anyone know of what the team budgets were last season in Israel?

a cheque book is a wonderful thing

not trying to knock the fella,just want to see the bigger picture

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Woosh....

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
I was being just a teensy bit sarcastic, but never mind

Fair doos fella. It went over my head by a country mile at the time, but i see it now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
does anyone know of what the team budgets were last season in Israel?

a cheque book is a wonderful thing

not trying to knock the fella,just want to see the bigger picture

Not sure if it was the biggest budget that he had but a Canadian Billionaire bought the club 3 years ago, but last year Jordi Cruyff came in as Sports Director and Oscar came in as manager. I believe the major changes from the previous two seasons were in the management personnel, not the players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This guy sounds perfect. Key for me is that we retain the essence of the playing style Gus introduced, but move the ball quicker more often. Also, as a Spanish speaker, he will help to retain our excellent players with that first language.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I'm amazed no one has questioned or seems in the slightest bit concerned, that this guy has just left a club he has won a championship with, for personal reasons. Last thing we want is another temperamental manager in charge. I would still be very surprised if Bloom appointed him.

It probably coincided with the call from TB about taking over from Poyet when we allowed Reading to talk to him....

talking up the Israeli league on the basis of one win by the U21's is being very optimistic in my view

celtic beat Barcelona,once

where would celtic finish in the spanish league?

My brother lives in Haifa in Israel. When I pop over to see him we usually watch Maccabi Haifa. They normally win the Israeli Premier league. We have often had the conversation as to how the Albion would fare if playing them. When we were in League 1 even top, Maccabi Haifa would have beaten us. Now I doubt it. Very much mid table to top of the Championship level. He would be managing players with similar skill levels to us.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
He was manager of Barcelona B. Does that answer your question?

And don't compare being manager of a Spanish reserve side with being manager of the Albion reserves. Spanish reserve sides play in the main league, they are just not allowed to be in the same division as the first team.

Both Barcelona B and Real Madrid B would be decent Championship sides in my opinion.

Is that like.. Bevendean Barcelona

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
ooooooohhhh, that's a great shout. Well, that's settled then. As OGJ's name fits into my username seamlessly, it's only right and proper he takes over from Gus. Of course, it's purely an incidental bonus that he's got a winning pedigree, worked with Cruyff, won a title or two and is massively flair. :)
Edit: providing those at NSC towers permit me to change name of course!
If you had to set up a new account you could be junyent come lately!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here