Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you'd like to add some facts to this debate.

Boring and negative? Compared to who?

Let's compare our average number of shots per game to the top two.

Leicester 17 shots
Burnley average 14.

Guess how many we average per game? FOURTEEN!!!

Oh wait how about the one's on target? Leicester and Burnley both average 5 on target per game.... we average FOUR.

I've been collating the stats as posted on our official website and I make it 13.06 shots per game, 3.64 on target.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I just wish that we stared with a far more attacking line up for home games.

Three wingers on the bench yesterday, what's that about? Surely one of Buckley or March should have started?

Too many dropped points at home this season.

Both players were coming back from injury and probably couldn't play the full 90. I don't think anyone on here would argue that, in an ideal world, a little more of an attacking line up at times would be needed but if you simply haven't got the fit personnel then you can't magic players up out of nowhere. Anyway, as has been pointed out by others here - if we had taken our chances (and over the season a myriad of players have been responsible for plenty of awful misses) our goals for column would look a lot better.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Leicester 17 shots
Burnley average 14.

Oh wait how about the one's on target? Leicester and Burnley both average 5 on target per game.... we average FOUR.

So we DO create chances, we're just not very good at putting the chances away.

All in all, not doing so bad really considering the appalling injury crisis to our goal scorers.

BTW all this guff about spending most of our time passing it around at the back... 43% of our possession is in the middle third with around 30% in the final third... In case you're wondering that's not too dissimilar to Leicester and Burnley......

I've put what I think the problem is in BOLD

It's no good - facts will never get in the way of the "I WANT A BIG WIN AND I WANT IT EVERY WEEK" crowd. I'd wager a lot of the teams well below us are perhaps more entertaining to watch at times but guess what, they have fewer points.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Leicester 17 shots
Burnley average 14.

So we DO create chances, we're just not very good at putting the chances away.

All in all, not doing so bad really considering the appalling injury crisis to our goal scorers.

BTW all this guff about spending most of our time passing it around at the back... 43% of our possession is in the middle third with around 30% in the final third... In case you're wondering that's not too dissimilar to Leicester and Burnley......

I've put what I think the problem is in BOLD

An excellent post.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is taking longer than expected to get the misfits to play together.

I think our players are at least as good if not better than most in the Championship, so I don't know why it is taking so long?

The weaknesses are there to see.

With the departure of Wayne Bridge there is not pace in defence but that does matter all that much because the other clubs have not got all that much pace going forward, although a few youngsters may show next season.

An unaccountable failure to stop opponents running through our midfield occasionally. Even with Bridcutt this happened.

No near post attacking routines which means the ball is lofted to Ulloa and marked by two and it easy for the opponents. Lingard seems the best bet.

Our failure of our midfield to pass into space in front of Buckley. And an alternative when the other side see it coming. Crofts was best at this.

In the classic Spanish style, the second striker goes deep drawing out their defence or at least being on the ball. Barnes was never really the business at this. Orlandi or Lingard? (not available for most of the season).

Improvements are too slow and setbacks occur as well.

We simply have got to beat QPR or we will never get the 72 pts we need for sixth spot.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Both players were coming back from injury and probably couldn't play the full 90. I don't think anyone on here would argue that, in an ideal world, a little more of an attacking line up at times would be needed but if you simply haven't got the fit personnel then you can't magic players up out of nowhere. Anyway, as has been pointed out by others here - if we had taken our chances (and over the season a myriad of players have been responsible for plenty of awful misses) our goals for column would look a lot better.

Your right, players cannot be 'magiced' up, but from the beginning of the season the club knew that CMS and Hoskins would not be ready this season in earnest and what did they do, nothing, either Barnes played up top or Ulloa did, but hardly ever together. NOw we have two loaness, both yet to do something positive and its a good bet that we will start with only one striker at home against QPR, the same as when we played them at Loftus Road. Is it not clear that we are not scoring goals because of our strategy. Whatever the stats say we have a team of non finishers who consistently game after game make the wrong choices infront of goal and fail to do the obvious. Forget the stats as tame headers and shots count as fantastic out of this world efforts, its what we see and what our gut instinct is, at the moment I'm seeing a gradual decline and its sad to see.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
for God's sake-we haven't dropped our wingers-March and Buckley at least haven't been fit and Lua Lua is far far better as an impact sub and can't ever sustain 90 minutes. I guess you could argue that you play Kaz for the first half but I'd argue that he's better coming on against tired defenders.

Aganst Wigan maybe but all 3 were fit yesterday but we didn't play any of them.
I actually like Lopez but he cannot play as a striker in a 433 and we don't ever try any other formations.
It is not enough having only 1 pacy player in the whole team.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It is taking longer than expected to get the misfits to play together.

I think our players are at least as good if not better than most in the Championship, so I don't know why it is taking so long?

The weaknesses are there to see.

With the departure of Wayne Bridge there is not pace in defence but that does matter all that much because the other clubs have not got all that much pace going forward, although a few youngsters may show next season.

An unaccountable failure to stop opponents running through our midfield occasionally. Even with Bridcutt this happened.

No near post attacking routines which means the ball is lofted to Ulloa and marked by two and it easy for the opponents. Lingard seems the best bet.

Our failure of our midfield to pass into space in front of Buckley. And an alternative when the other side see it coming. Crofts was best at this.

In the classic Spanish style, the second striker goes deep drawing out their defence or at least being on the ball. Barnes was never really the business at this. Orlandi or Lingard? (not available for most of the season).

Improvements are too slow and setbacks occur as well.

We simply have got to beat QPR or we will never get the 72 pts we need for sixth spot.

Its not the players but the strategy that needs to be looked at, both off the field in terms of the managing of the club and its assets (the players) and the coaching as the players are only promoting what they have been told to do. Its not working at the moment, we can't score a second goal to kill the match and yesterday we got a draw and didn't score a goal!

C

CT1

We can only really answer this question after he has been given a full pre-season

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I actually like Lopez but he cannot play as a striker in a 433 and we don't ever try any other formations.

Lopez is a playmaker, can put the ball anywhere on the pitch, but he is reduced to 5m interplay with others that leads nowhere. He needs a pacy forward to pass to, what does he have Ulloa and no wingers yesterday. What was the strategy in the first half yesterday and when we have a dead ball situation on the edge of their box, what was JFC doing having the shot when its Lopez territory. Am I watching a different game to OG, I thought his selection against Hull at home was inspired, but sometimes I really struggle to understand what he is trying to achieve?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

How do you know all 3 were match fit?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We can only really answer this question after he has been given a full pre-season

Absolutely this.

Oscar did not have the luxury of a pre-season and then got caught in the firestorm of one of the worst injury crises I can remember in a long time. Against that background I am perfectly happy to be in the general vicinity of the playoffs in mid-March.

Yesterday was the first time I got to see an Albion match live this season and I can't pretend that I was thrilled with what I saw. I was dismayed at how little threat we posed going forward and even more so by how often we gave possession away cheaply in the final third. It sounds as though that has been a common failing in recent weeks.

However...

...everywhere you look in football there seems to be the impulse to look for immediate results yet the most successful teams tend to be built over a period of several years. Pearson could easily have been given the boot at Leicester during or after their awful run last season but look at them now. Why the mismatch? I am happy to give Oscar another season (and crucially a pre-season) to continue his work on the team. This time next year we shall have a far clearer idea of where we are headed.

And as an aside, I like the way Oscar handles himself in the media. I know it has little to do with his coaching ability but I can't help but admire the lack of histrionics. He did not get dragged into any arguments after the sending off yesterday and simply said it was the referee's decision to make. A little bit of class set against Adkins' tantrums.

Give the man a break.

This season has been ruined by injuries it is as simple as that! The last time we had such an awful, injury hit campaign we nearly got relegated to League 2. I really don't think we are underachieving at all. Our defence is ageing, our midfield lacks that one real quality player with attacking threat (perhaps Lingard will plug this gap for a while) and upfront we are generally okay apart from the fact our back up strikers are constantly injured. I think given Oscar had half a pre-season we are doing well. However...

Two points you make I can really resonate with. Firstly, there seems to be very little passion from the coaching staff. I have been working away so have not for the first time in a while been able to get to the majority of home games but the presence of Oscar and co all seems a bit dull. He seems to be very uncommunicative with players and indeed fans. He is not someone you feel a connection with like previous managers. Nathan Jones seems to be eternally unlikable and then I simply cannot name another member of the coaching staff. It seems to me like the man management is lacking. We probably have some excellent coaches but there is something just lacking at the moment.

Secondly you say we don't play to the players strengths? I think away from home we set up pretty well. Our record defensively is very good. Its at home I am getting very frustrated about. The sheer, depressing inevitability about every single one of our joyless home games is very concerning. If we concede the first goal the whole ground just automatically senses the entire pattern of the game. Well if we go a goal down we basically press until the 70th minute then begin to slowly bring on our 3 benched wingers until we sneak a goal and draw 1-1. What I do not understand is why we don't start with two quick wingers from the go, get the 1st goal and go from there. We are so overly cautious at home. Every team comes to stop us playing and most succeed as we don't set up offensively enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here