Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Original football ground names.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The Baseball Ground I always liked, because I'm a Yank. But then, the tennis venue just outside of Boston proper is the Longwood Cricket Club, and no cricket's been played there in nearly a century.
It's origin is (moderately) interesting - Francis Ley, an industrialist in Derby travelled to the US on business and seeing companies had built baseball fields and decided he wanted a bit of that so build a park next to his 'Vulcan Ironworks' in Derby. His wiki page gives a brief summary - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Ley

Derby were chucked out of the first professional league as they upset the other clubs in bending the rules a bit, history eh???

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It's origin is (moderately) interesting - Francis Ley, an industrialist in Derby travelled to the US on business and seeing companies had built baseball fields and decided he wanted a bit of that so build a park next to his 'Vulcan Ironworks' in Derby. His wiki page gives a brief summary - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Ley

Derby were chucked out of the first professional league as they upset the other clubs in bending the rules a bit, history eh???
Vulcan Ironworks..........now that would have been a name!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Went to Leeds Road, Huddersfield's old ground before they built the Kirklees Stadium usually referred to by sponsors name originally McAlpine and now John Smiths.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Blundell Park - 1899 to present.

Much of the original, wooden structure still in use. I have no idea how.

20160917_112353-1024x576.jpg

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Sealand Road was Chester's old ground, replaced by the, also interestingly named Deva stadium.

Not far down the road is the Racecourse Ground, now locally referred to as Hollywood.

Filbert Street was Leicester's old ground, possibly the only ground in the World named after a nut. Filbert is an archaic word for a hazel nut.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Borough Briggs/Elgin City. Palmerston Park/Queen of the South (which i think is a wonderful name for a football ⚽ club) and if i am correct Dumbarton played at Boghead.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Boothferry park or was it road?
had an excellent win there in the cup one year,3-2 I think ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Town Mead, Crawley
Old Spotted Dog, Clapton almost abandoned but now being refurbished.
Underhill, Barnet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here