Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opening league game now Friday night: (vs Forest, 7th Aug, 7.45pm)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One of the reasons for me and the missus not renewing STs was lack of Saturday home games and the inconvenience of midweek ones. Last year it was just over half on a Saturday. By the time this season has panned out it will doubtless be the same. Currently 2/3rds of games are scheduled for Saturdays.
We will miss our decent seats but will be picking and choosing for now - we think we'd rather manage the football we watch, rather than it manage us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the reasons we didn't renew for this season
Would have been a pre booked train ticket wasted and a game paid for wasted

Really? You'd have booked those things before the Sky fixtures were announced?

(I have every sympathy for those that do have money wasted when fixtures get changed at short notice.)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
This is the worst news. Fly home on the 8th after 14 weeks away; was due to get home in time for the game. Doubt if anyone will take up my ST for this one as it's on the box. Waste of money, but more than anything just absolutely gutted to miss this. :(

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Piss up the night before its ok just means we'll be bottom of the table straight away lol

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is shite news for me. Not sure I can make it now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A little over half.

There were also a 3pm at Christmas (Boxing Day), a Saturday lunchtime (Watford 12.15)
And several Friday nights at 7.45 (millwall, bournemouth) .
There were 6 midweek 7.45s out of the 23 , 5 Tues and 1 Weds...ie: schoolnights...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One of the reasons we didn't renew for this season
Would have been a pre booked train ticket wasted and a game paid for wasted

Quite. It does seem like the club are doing their best to alienate long distance STH longtime Albion fans. Sorry, that's a bit harsh. More likely it never even crosses their minds, in their rush to grab the SKY dollar. What goes around, comes around. As the club will only realise too late should they ever dip down a division and come round with the begging bowl targeted emails to former STHs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite. It does seem like the club are doing their best to alienate long distance STH longtime Albion fans. Sorry, that's a bit harsh. More likely it never even crosses their minds, in their rush to grab the SKY dollar. What goes around, comes around. As the club will only realise too late should they ever dip down a division and come round with the begging bowl targeted emails to former STHs.

Does the club really have any choice - does anyone actually know?

Regardless, in the big scheme of game rearrangements, Saturday to Friday night (within the school holidays) is about as good as it gets. There are always going to be some people who miss out, and some others who 'gain' by seeing a game they otherwise thought they would miss, but overall Saturday to Friday isn't too bad, is it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Regardless, in the big scheme of game rearrangements, Saturday to Friday night (within the school holidays) is about as good as it gets. There are always going to be some people who miss out, and some others who 'gain' by seeing a game they otherwise thought they would miss, but overall Saturday to Friday isn't too bad, is it?

Can't say really [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] seeing as how I only live down the road. But as your location currently shows as Bristol, I'd have thought that a switch from Saturday afternoon to Friday night might prove to be at least a bit annoying aye? Besides, this switch was floated a fair number of days back (by you?) while both clubs boards maintained the game was going to be Saturday 3pm. How many folks made arrangements on the basis of both clubs info when the good folks of NSC always knew the game was odds-on to be switched? Same as NSC users have inside info on trains that will be cancelled that the general train-using public don't have access to.

Further proof, should any be needed, that NSC can be a force for good, as well as evil.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with all of this. I'd been led to believe that Sky call the shots......we don't have a lot of choice in the matter. Only problem with a Friday, particularly in August, is that the trains are GUARANTEED to be shite.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It does seem like the club are doing their best to alienate long distance STH longtime Albion fans. ...More likely it never even crosses their minds, in their rush to grab the SKY dollar.

<edited> asked same question as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] above

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
By not being in the Football League who have collectively sold the rights to showing 100+ games a season from the Football League in return for a fair amount of cash ??
The money from Sky in average Football League season is about £5m. Not much compared to the Prem League (where each club gets about 15x that) but not far off half what they get in gate receipts for an entire season.
Do you think we should vote down the next football deal ? What else can the club do here ? I'm a bit perplexed. What would you do ?

Personally, I think I'd put a compensation plan in place such that a STH who's game was switched from a published Saturday 3pm date to a midweek 7.45 date was given some kind of monetary cashback/ voucher acknowledgement that they are going to be majorly inconvenienced by the switch. I mean, the fixtures are still warm off the press. Either that or Football League clubs acknowledge that they will lose - maybe the Albion more than most - significant numbers of long-distance STHs. Either that or the Football league clubs get together and tell SKY to piss off or up the ante.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Am I alone in preferring this for the following reason - it's mid-summer, so Friday night football means Saturday can be spent on the beach?

Come on, what's not to like?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I haven't read the previous 5 pages but I'd imagine I can't be the only person for whom this is a massive result - had resigned to missing this game to go to a wedding of 2 people I've barely met (friends of the Mrs) on Sat 8th.

What I don't understand is why negotiations can't be done with Sky before the fixtures are revealed, so that changes for TV in the opening months of the season are included on day one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here