Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Open a Betfair account and clean up

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This is where things get very tricky with laying Poyet (or any manager). He may stay now but if he goes in the summer and becomes the next "permanent" manager then the lay bets will be lost.
I think most (me certainly) have cashed out on Poyet by now. I suspect Reading are looking to appoint a new manager sooner rather than later (if this whole episode had any truth) though at which point any remaining bets will be settled.

I backed and layed Connor last season, it was annoying having to wait for it to be settled.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Ok, this laying lark has got me confused...

I layed Poyet at good odds and then yesterday cashed out - it put my original stake back into my fund and now it says whoever gets the job I get x amount back even Gus.

I take it i have to wait until a permanent manager is appointed to have that money in my fund or is there a clever way to put it on another outcome?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think most (me certainly) have cashed out on Poyet by now. I suspect Reading are looking to appoint a new manager sooner rather than later (if this whole episode had any truth) though at which point any remaining bets will be settled.

I backed and layed Connor last season, it was annoying having to wait for it to be settled.

Oh I agree cashing out is the way to go. Just wanted to warn people in case they had layed Poyet heavily and were just sitting back expecting a payout. Hopefully they will get one but cashing out and taking slightly less is definitely safer!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yeah - unfortunately you have to sit and wait for a manager to be appointed. You can either 'cash out' and all of the outcome will go Green (Greened up in betfair parlance) and those funds will be released when the market is settled. The other way of doing it would be to back Poyet (minimum stake £2) which you can back to cover your liabilities. Whilst this won't release your wininngs it will release your stake back into your account.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I layed at 1.38 yesterday at about 3pm. Not massive amount I.e only a tenner but made nearly 30 quid profit.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Yeah - unfortunately you have to sit and wait for a manager to be appointed. You can either 'cash out' and all of the outcome will go Green (Greened up in betfair parlance) and those funds will be released when the market is settled. The other way of doing it would be to back Poyet (minimum stake £2) which you can back to cover your liabilities. Whilst this won't release your wininngs it will release your stake back into your account.

Thanks, that's what I thought... At least I understand what greened up means now!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I see odds on Adkins have drifted while those on Dolan and RDM have shortened ..ive a few quid on them on much longer odds.. but it will probably end up with someone no ones heard of..

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
When it comes to betting, anything more than a simple 'I've bet 10/1 that X will do Y' makes my head spin

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
He is going nowhere, so open a betfair account and start laying him to go. I have. It is like printing money.

I closed my betfair account so couldn't bet but when he hit 1.14 I was sorely tempted to reopen... it was crazy. How much did you win?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I closed my betfair account so couldn't bet but when he hit 1.14 I was sorely tempted to reopen... it was crazy. How much did you win?

It was a big bet for me. I layed it for £100

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Could somebody, in extreme laymans terms, explain this 'laying' lark to me please?

I'd have been very keen to do so myself if i'd have known a bit more about what I was doing, but didn't quite know. Do the odds fluctuate? And what's all this about being unable to cash out, yet some seem to have done so?

Could somebody, in extreme laymans terms, explain this 'laying' lark to me please?

I can do this, but not the second half - hopefully someone more familiar with Betfair will do that.

Laying is effectively acting as the traditional bookmaker. In a bookies, you place a bet for £10 on a 5/1 shot, the bookie is liable for £50. On betfair, someone else is placing the £10 bet, and you are covering part (or all) of that by 'laying' it. If you 'lay' £10 on a 5/1 shot, you are effectively placing up the collateral for a £2 bet - if the bet comes in, you lose your £10, but if it doesn't come in then you get the £2 bet plus your £10 stake.

Because Poyet going to Reading was shorter than evens, laying resulted in a return greater than the initial stake (effectively odds longer than evens, when thinking about a typical bet), so there was plenty of money to be made (for those that were sure that he was staying!).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'd have been very keen to do so myself if i'd have known a bit more about what I was doing, but didn't quite know. Do the odds fluctuate? And what's all this about being unable to cash out, yet some seem to have done so?

It's what bookies do to punters in conventional betting. They determine the odds for something to happen and offer those odds for punters to take.

You determine the odds you believe are fair for an event and how much liability you want and offer that to other people to take. In most markets, there will also be money sitting there willing to back at certain odds - you can choose to match that if you want.

So...

a) You could determine that Gus going to Reading was a 1/2 chance and you're prepared to stick £10 out there at those odds. Someone (or some people) may take that.

or

b) Someone could be saying they are prepared to back Gus going to Reading at 3/5 for £20. You could take some of that, matching your tenner at 3/5.

WIth Betfair you can place one or many back/lays on the same market and Betfair automatically offset them against each other. So someone may have laid Gus at 1/2 yesterday and then backed him at 20/1 today. This is called 'greening up' because whatever the outcome you'll profit, or at worst not lose, depending on how you structure your bets.

gavind

Banned
Jul 2, 2013
Can someone please point me to the right direction where it explains all the basics of laying? I was trying to make this work.
smile2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here