Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Only in America - 26/10/23 another mass shooting

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Guardian: "Robert Card, the man identified as a person of interest in the Lewiston shootings, is a firearms instructor trained by the military, according to a state police bulletin."

Feel for the cops. Not an amateur and not the type of guy I would want to be hunting in daylight, let alone the night.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At least 16 people have reportedly been killed in the US city of Lewiston, Maine and a search is under way for the gunman.
The shootings began at 18:56 local time (22:56 GMT) on Wednesday at a bowling alley and a restaurant, police said.
Lewiston residents, as well as those in the nearby town of Lisbon, have been told to shelter in place.

Gun violence is a fixture in American life - but the issue is a highly political one, pitting gun control advocates against people who are fiercely protective of their right to bear arms.

Mass shootings on the rise​

There have been more than 560 mass shootings across the US so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people are injured or killed. Their figures include shootings that happen in homes and in public places.
For each of the last three years there have been more than 600 mass shootings - almost two a day on average.

The deadliest such attack, in Las Vegas in 2017, killed more than 50 people and left 500 wounded.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What other possible response could there be?
Ban guns? Or, at the VERY least, revisit the ridiculous second amendment to outlaw at least some TYPES of guns.

It's a bit of a mad country where the people in charge feel threatened if they stand up to those who own – and use – firearms.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ban guns? Or, at the VERY least, revisit the ridiculous second amendment to outlaw at least some TYPES of guns.

It's a bit of a mad country where the people in charge feel threatened if they stand up to those who own – and use – firearms.

Don't be silly. Arm the good guys, shoot the bad guys and say a quick prayer before dinner. Problem solved.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Preaching to the choir here. I know young Joe has set up a firearms taskforce, albeit with an initially limited scope (sorry) but hopefully that can grow and expand. I forget the comedian who said that for all the campaigning against the NRA, all anyone needed to do was register a load of anti-gun activists and then vote down all of their proposals. Ultimately, the way to change the second amendment are to elect candidates who support gun reform. That's it - it's that simple, in theory.

I don't think we'll ever understand the American fascination with guns but eventually and gradually it will change if the right people are elected and empowered to take the slow step by slow step by slow step to change the narrative around guns. Eventually that would change the culture but it's something which would span multiple presidencies and the country tends to switch between a Democrat and a Republican president. Given how extreme the MAGA Republicans now are, it's hard to imagine anyone chosen by that party to be its presidential nominee being anything other than a nutjob but more specifically, a pro-gun activist.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What would happen if a local found him and shot him dead ?
And don’t be flippant ….

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Preaching to the choir here. I know young Joe has set up a firearms taskforce, albeit with an initially limited scope (sorry) but hopefully that can grow and expand. I forget the comedian who said that for all the campaigning against the NRA, all anyone needed to do was register a load of anti-gun activists and then vote down all of their proposals. Ultimately, the way to change the second amendment are to elect candidates who support gun reform. That's it - it's that simple, in theory.

I don't think we'll ever understand the American fascination with guns but eventually and gradually it will change if the right people are elected and empowered to take the slow step by slow step by slow step to change the narrative around guns. Eventually that would change the culture but it's something which would span multiple presidencies and the country tends to switch between a Democrat and a Republican president. Given how extreme the MAGA Republicans now are, it's hard to imagine anyone chosen by that party to be its presidential nominee being anything other than a nutjob but more specifically, a pro-gun activist.
Especially when the NRA pours so much money into the pot and has a huge amount of support!

There just doesn't seem to be any room for reasoned debate. Whenever questions why people should be allowed to float about with AR-15s and then likes, pro-gun people say it's their 'right to bear arms'. But what about the rights of people to NOT get shot dead by the same people? And the solution to the gun problem is more guns – like in school, somewhere where there are DEFINITELY never any on-edge, stressed out individuals to go postal with horrendous consequences. Can't see anything going wrong there, then!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think what they really meant was the right to bare arms, eg T shirts. Sadly the Americans got it wrong. It’d just be a case of convincing them to get the spelling right.
The whole gun thing in America is just wrong. We have been complaining about religion being the cause of so many wars - a lot of Americans must view guns as some kind of religious artefact.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Guardian: "Robert Card, the man identified as a person of interest in the Lewiston shootings, is a firearms instructor trained by the military, according to a state police bulletin."

Feel for the cops. Not an amateur and not the type of guy I would want to be hunting in daylight, let alone the night.
‘Known by police to have mental health issues’ (according to reports) yet still allowed to own automatic weapons.

My next door neighbour was diagnosed with mild dementia - the police firearms licencing officer was on to him within 24 hours of receiving notification from the doc with orders to give up his gun (his father’s old 12 bore he used for shooting rabbits on his smallholding). Thank goodness for UK gun laws.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
‘Known by police to have mental health issues’ (according to reports) yet still allowed to own automatic weapons.

My next door neighbour was diagnosed with mild dementia - the police firearms licencing officer was on to him within 24 hours of receiving notification from the doc with orders to give up his gun (his father’s old 12 bore he used for shooting rabbits on his smallholding). Thank goodness for UK gun laws.
Second amendment makes no mention of mental health. I expect he still has a legal right to carry arms. Land of the free full of f***ed up people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here