Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] O'Neill sacked by Bournemouth - and appoint Andoni Iraola

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Hughton comparisons are way off the mark. We very nearly went down and there were some shocking performances at the end of the season. Bmuff were safe for a while and comfortably avoided relegation. I think this is going to be another new foreign owner who thinks he can throw money at a club and make them succesful but who will almost certainly fail.
Disagree, it's a great comparison.

Both are examples where ignorant outsiders looking in will say that they should be grateful not to have been sacked.

Sure, we got progressively worse and limped over the line whereas they did it with four games to spare. But both sets of fans were disgruntled with the playing style from a long way out and concluded that it's harsh but better that the manager left with his head held high before it got any worse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Guardian:

"A new manager could be announced as early as Monday evening. Bournemouth explored appointing Marcelo Bielsa before turning to O’Neil but concluded that O’Neil was a better fit. They also considered Roberto De Zerbi, who has since joined Brighton, and Bodø/Glimt’s Kjetil Knutsen."

:)

Never mind.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I agree with those saying similarities with our Hughton situation. They also lost their last 5 games on the bounce. Next appointment key.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not vaguely imo, we were shit and I mean shit for his last few months. Bournemouth were playing well in the last few weeks of the season

CH needed to go and only @Teddy Maybank ( :wink: ) and a few others wanted him to stick around, most thought it was a wise and sensible move to replace him and so it proved, although some had no time at all for Potter in fairness
Were they? They actually finished the season dreadfully. They lost all of their final four games, scoring once and didn't win at all in May.

If that's what's deemed as "playing well" then standards must have really slipped.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perfect gig for GPott. Swansman incoming on UpTheCherries. 😂
Perfect gig for him indeed.

I mean what with him being weighed down here by our lack of historic success, I'm sure they won't get irritated at 2 wins per calendar year at trophy-laden Bournemouth.

axscott

Jan 10, 2022

Interesting choice, did pretty well with Rayo but not exactly some super experienced replacement

venkuk

May 15, 2023
It's not dissimilar to when we fired Houghton. I guess they are looking to move on a level. May well backfire on them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A very Brighton style appointment that. Might even have been on our RDZ succession plan. Still think GON has been harshly treated but at least this makes a bit more sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here