Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One of our own ATTACKED (by scummy Leeds fans) on twitter

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
But the article is written as if you spoke to the Argus reporter. Is this not the case?

Nope it isn't. E-mail evidence says I didn't want it printed and afterwards I got a message saying:

'I did tell Newsdesk your account was protected, but they felt the fact it was publicised on a social network to hundreds of people meant it was no longer a private matter.'

Because they really had the knowledge to decide that? Most of my followers live in other areas of the country.

They also seem to have given ITV my number without my consent as I had a voicemail from them earlier, and I know it shouldn't be on any social networking site. (they had my number from either a NCJT application from quite a while back)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well let me say I am 100% innocent. As I said my only comment was about how it was typical we started off with a loss. These people never saw my twitter and abused me via a picture of me and Kev on his twitter. He said a comment about Brian McDermott, but that doesn't excuse the abuse I got really does it?

As I clarified before, the argus has actually printed this without my consent so I am thoroughly angry.
As I said earlier "you're right the 'punishment' does seem out of proportion with the 'crime' ".

The mob mentality can hardly have a go at Kev for being lucky enough to be from Sussex, support Brighton can they?
Yes you are innocent but like it or not the bear got poked and you got caught in the cross-fire, sadly for you.

But the point still stands had Kev kept his opinion (again, which I share) to himself you wouldn't have got hurt.

Assuming Kev is unlikely to call Clough names on Twitter this Saturday, I'd say it proves to a degree, no matter how innocuous he was and over the top the response back became, there's an element of blame/guilt.

You're right it will all blow over very quickly, despite the Argus, and I hope things go back to normal very soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll survive. Just very angry that it can get to that stage and certainly nothing I want to deal with again in my life. Hence why my twitter account is now, sadly, deactivated and Kev's is on private.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you were collateral damage. I am not quite sure how to put this. When I was a teenager I never went into the Bosun. I didn't look like them in there, talk like them, or 'be' like them. There was nothing I could learn from them, or them from me. I had nothing to tell them. I have never and will never go on twitter, for the same reason. For the same sort of reason, I won't be traveling to Iraq, the Yemen, North Korea, or Croydon any time soon. To paraphrase the bloke with the funny nose on league of gentlemen, there is nothing for me her. Stick with friends, family, and moderated sites like NSC and live a quiet life, would be my best suggestion. All the best.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So someone mouths off on a message board so instead of the 'victims' turning off their computers for a week, a valid suggestion according to this thread, some of your members took it to his doorstep.

Any mock outrage on this board about using social network to mess up someone's life is laughable.

Slightly bitter about something, are we?
Jamie was a grade A turd who mouthed off to an unacceptable level. Kayleigh is the girlfriend of someone who tweeted that McDermott is a wanker. If you can't see how poles apart that is...well, I'd suggest you have a vendetta.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Also how did you all know that I was Kev's girlfriend? I'm getting concerned about getting a reputation here...

It said it in his bio and you admitted it on here!

The guy that ran the article contacted you both on twitter. Did neither of you give him the carte blanche to write it? I'd be pretty peeved to have an article attributed to me with, seemingly, direct quotes.

His twitter feed, the reporter, paints himself as a bit of a nob.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
It said it in his bio and you admitted it on here!

The guy that ran the article contacted you both on twitter. Did neither of you give him the carte blanche to write it? I'd be pretty peeved to have an article attributed to me with, seemingly, direct quotes.

His twitter feed, the reporter, paints himself as a bit of a nob.

Nope we didn't, and he's probably said a little bit too much than he should have done in e-mail exchanges with me afterwards...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nope it isn't. E-mail evidence says I didn't want it printed and afterwards I got a message saying:

'I did tell Newsdesk your account was protected, but they felt the fact it was publicised on a social network to hundreds of people meant it was no longer a private matter.'

Because they really had the knowledge to decide that? Most of my followers live in other areas of the country.

They also seem to have given ITV my number without my consent as I had a voicemail from them earlier

I think that's more outrageous than the twitter abuse to be honest. Total invasion of your privacy. It sums up the Argus, absoute gutter press and small time journos who only care about a story.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A bit hypocritical, those were clearly just empty threats. Just as empty as some abuse on twitter or NSC etc

Versus someone who contributed nothing towards it.
Can't see how that's hypocritical.
Jamie 'started it' and Kayleigh didn't.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Slightly bitter about something, are we?
Jamie was a grade A turd who mouthed off to an unacceptable level. Kayleigh is the girlfriend of someone who tweeted that McDermott is a wanker. If you can't see how poles apart that is...well, I'd suggest you have a vendetta.

Not at all. Don't know the lad but have seen many posts anytime anyone says something disagreed with by some when the 'Jamie' punishment gets mentioned. Like a badge of honour. Your 'I was there' moment.

Cyber bullying is cyber bullying, regardless of what you believe is justified or not.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
He comes across as prat.

31st July he said he avoids stories about trolls and then suddenly he is direct messaging you.

You shouldn't have told him what happened if you didn't want him to write anything.

Did he really say that on the 31st?

Yep I know, hence why my twitter is gone (for now). I'm not getting caught in a trap again and if I do go back I will be a lot more careful who I let follow me and it will probably be only used for work purposes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
@billgardner86: Turns out an internet troll has created a nasty "fan club" for me on Facebook. I'll take that as a compliment. #sticksandstones
Shared via TweetCaster

@billgardner86: @MadelaineHunter Don't feed. I try to avoid writing stories about trolls now - it's what they want. If everyone ignored they'd soon shut up.
Shared via TweetCaster

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
@billgardner86: Turns out an internet troll has created a nasty "fan club" for me on Facebook. I'll take that as a compliment. #sticksandstones
Shared via TweetCaster

@billgardner86: @MadelaineHunter Don't feed. I try to avoid writing stories about trolls now - it's what they want. If everyone ignored they'd soon shut up.
Shared via TweetCaster

Wow...what an absolute prat...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that's more outrageous than the twitter abuse to be honest. Total invasion of your privacy. It sums up the Argus, absoute gutter press and small time journos who only care about a story.
Esp as it looks and reads like a bona fide interview.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not at all. Don't know the lad but have seen many posts anytime anyone says something disagreed with by some when the 'Jamie' punishment gets mentioned. Like a badge of honour. Your 'I was there' moment.

Cyber bullying is cyber bullying, regardless of what you believe is justified or not.

I'm not saying that it was justified. I'm saying that there's no comparison to draw between the two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shared via TweetCaster

Shared via TweetCaster
Trolling wasn't news then, just as it won't be news next week.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Esp as it looks and reads like a bona fide interview.

I didn't know about it until my boss said 'you were in the Argus.' And then he looked completely shocked when I told him I knew nothing about it.

He also believed me when I said it as my face did literally drop with shock...

Also they clearly think trolling is news atm because of Caroline Criado-Perez, Stella Creasy and Hannah Smith. If that wasn't going on this wouldn't have even gotten a mention.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Versus someone who contributed nothing towards it.
Can't see how that's hypocritical.
Jamie 'started it' and Kayleigh didn't.

But how much has it really affected Kayleigh's life? She had the option to just turn off and look the other way.

Jamie had personal pictures photshopped in a degrading manner, taxis and pizzas ordered to his house, I'm pretty sure he got in shit with his parents and ultimately someone deleted his website. Whether he started it or not, that is in a totally different league to a few messages on twitter.

Did calling us bummers and saying god hates gays really warrant all that? I know it didn't, and that is partly what made it funny, but I think you're not being objective here because you know one of the people in question and not the other. There definitely is a comparison

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here