Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One of our own ATTACKED (by scummy Leeds fans) on twitter

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm sorry but just leave your account alone or block people, seriously its really not hard and getting abusive message is something you get use to on the internet surely? She shouldn't be complaining at all, please just leave and get on with it. I have no sympathy for these people.

Hmmm. If we all did that they'd move on until finding someone more vulnerable and we've seen those consequences. So disagree, takes courage to make a stand and the media are onto this at the moment so that's a positive. You CAN ignore abuse. But why should you when it gets to this degree? I was only joking is the first plea for many an idiot. Including pranksters going through airport security. Those guys are hilarious. Especially when they're locked up.

Aug 23, 2011
I'm sorry but just leave your account alone or block people, seriously its really not hard and getting abusive message is something you get use to on the internet surely? She shouldn't be complaining at all, please just leave and get on with it. I have no sympathy for these people.

Why should you get used to abusive messages? Yes you can turn it off but why should you have to?

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Hmmm. If we all did that they'd move on until finding someone more vulnerable and we've seen those consequences. So disagree, takes courage to make a stand and the media are onto this at the moment so that's a positive. You CAN ignore abuse. But why should you when it gets to this degree? I was only joking is the first plea for many an idiot. Including pranksters going through airport security. Those guys are hilarious. Especially when they're locked up.

The point is though, that people do that to spark a reaction, its just like playground bullies at school, obviously if people feel really upset by them, as with the suicide cases, then they should be offered help of course. Telling someone to kill themselves is really out of order, but just not reading those messages in the first places is the easiest method. You can block people and you can't read what they send to you so its as easy as that. Its not just ignoring it but preventing it even being seen before it gets this bad. I think those people are complete and utter pricks but you can't stop people completely unfortunately.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its easy to stop this as every electronic gizzmo has an off button.

Or are some people just happy to play the martyr?

You see, that's just unnecessary - why do you need to imply she's at fault for raising this?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have every palace fan on my ignore list. They dont affend me one bit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Are people forgetting she didn't say ANYTHING and was targeted for doing nothing? Horrible, vile bullying. And all Kev said said was the more he hears of McDermott the more he thinks he's a wanker. He didn't use a #lufc hashtag and wasn't trying to light a fire. Tweets like that happen all the time. It seems the Leeds version of nsc picked up on the tweet and retweeted it with the word 'ATTACK' - poor from them after their good article on homophobia. That's feeding the morons to abuse imo.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The point is though, that people do that to spark a reaction, its just like playground bullies at school, obviously if people feel really upset by them, as with the suicide cases, then they should be offered help of course. Telling someone to kill themselves is really out of order, but just not reading those messages in the first places is the easiest method. You can block people and you can't read what they send to you so its as easy as that. Its not just ignoring it but preventing it even being seen before it gets this bad. I think those people are complete and utter pricks but you can't stop people completely unfortunately.

It's like any form of policing though - left unchecked it would get out of control. So you need to stop as much as possible and if this prevents a few people but making them think then it was worth it. You can't stop everyone I agree. But you can some.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
It's like any form of policing though - left unchecked it would get out of control. So you need to stop as much as possible and if this prevents a few people but making them think then it was worth it. You can't stop everyone I agree. But you can some.

I know but all the stuff recently that's come out about women on twitter, what's the difference with men? Obviously death threats and bomb threats and stuff should be cracked down on but the hurtful words aren't something that the authorities should get involved in. There's plenty of tools available on twitter already. Make a new twitter account, whatever..

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Because having an online account contactable by all leaves yourself open to this.

But why don't we all do this? I've had a postal address and letterbox for years. Never received any abuse that way. What the Internet does is allow cowards to be lazy cowards. Nope, I'm all for making these idiots face consequences. Just shaming them publically is usually enough. Hope they get exposed in this respect. Will help develop their levels of machurity hopefully :)

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
But why don't we all do this? I've had a postal address and letterbox for years. Never received any abuse that way. What the Internet does is allow cowards to be lazy cowards. Nope, I'm all for making these idiots face consequences. Just shaming them publicly is usually enough. Hope they get exposed in this respect. Will help develop their levels of maturity hopefully :)

Yeah but you've obviously pissed anyone off enough and unfortunately for this woman, her bf sparked up some leeds fans I guess but she's obviously been offended but I also think that being offended doesn't mean a lot. Offensive words are offensive. Surely i'm all for shaming them but you've got to have sense on the internet to some respect before getting seriously offended and saying twitter should be banned.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know but all the stuff recently that's come out about women on twitter, what's the difference with men? Obviously death threats and bomb threats and stuff should be cracked down on but the hurtful words aren't something that the authorities should get involved in. There's plenty of tools available on twitter already. Make a new twitter account, whatever..

Hurtful or abuse? Could be argued either way I guess. Authorities need to crack down on some to stop it becoming worse as I've said. So although they can't get involved in every incident, I would say its a good thing to do so where a group of people are targeting someone unnecessarily. As others have said, she didn't exactly go looking for a fight!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are people forgetting she didn't say ANYTHING and was targeted for doing nothing? Horrible, vile bullying. And all Kev said said was the more he hears of McDermott the more he thinks he's a wanker. He didn't use a #lufc hashtag and wasn't trying to light a fire. Tweets like that happen all the time. It seems the Leeds version of nsc picked up on the tweet and retweeted it with the word 'ATTACK' - poor from them after their good article on homophobia. That's feeding the morons to abuse imo.

As a friend of Kev on Facebook, I saw some status updates which would have inflamed them and goaded them more. They're not private comments, any idiot could find them. As proven! Boom boom.

Seriously though, this is the world in 2013. Just go outside. Let it go. Life moves on. These people have nothing else, they are trolls. Let them troll. Todays thing doesn't matter tomorrow. It was never personal, they were just bored.

Obviously upsetting and I feel for Kayleigh, who is a very bright and well spoken girl. These people picked on her because of who they are, not because of who she is. Kev is the most passionate Brighton fan I know.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
As a friend of Kev on Facebook, I saw some status updates which would have inflamed them and goaded them more. They're not private comments, any idiot could find them. As proven! Boom boom.

Seriously though, this is the world in 2013. Just go outside. Let it go. Life moves on. These people have nothing else, they are trolls. Let them troll. Todays thing doesn't matter tomorrow. It was never personal, they were just bored.

Obviously upsetting and I feel for Kayleigh, who is a very bright and well spoken girl. These people picked on her because of who they are, not because of who she is. Kev is the most passionate Brighton fan I know.

Well said.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
FFS, if you can't deal with stuff like this then you shouldn't be using social media.

Surely real life friends and family are all that really matter, do people really get sick with anger over what a faceless username has written on a computer? As others have said, just turn it off. Modern society is getting wierd, the internet has made the youth of today ridiculously insecure.

How did this make the Argus? I'm honestly baffled :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You see, that's just unnecessary - why do you need to imply she's at fault for raising this?

But would any of this happened if they hadn't called McDermott a w@nker?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

:bowdown:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah but you've obviously pissed anyone off enough and unfortunately for this woman, her bf sparked up some leeds fans I guess but she's obviously been offended but I also think that being offended doesn't mean a lot. Offensive words are offensive. Surely i'm all for shaming them but you've got to have sense on the internet to some respect before getting seriously offended and saying twitter should be banned.

I agree calling for a ban on twitter which I don't understand nor have any use for is probably a bit extreme. But I'd love to see some of these trolls taken to task as you do. It does seem a lot of people are going out of their way to offend in instances such as this. I'd select ignore if such functionality exists but then I guess people who know her would see and inform so probably easier that people don't be so rude and abusive in the first place. We'd all be very angry if it was our sister girlfriend wife etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here