Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for NSC's punks

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
To be fair though, Charlie Harper was already middle aged when the UK Subs decided to cash in on the tail end of punk. Bloke's probably due a telegram from Queen,assuming he's still alive and not constantly touring villages in Switzerland with his kids and grand kids.

Charlie is very much alive having his 72nd birthday a few days ago and living happily in Seaford.
Subs Just finished there 26th Album "zeizo". each album has been started with each letter of the alphabet.
Unfortunately Jet has now left the band and they looking for a new guitarist.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Would you consider The Stranglers to be punk?

If so, it's worth considering Jet Black is only two and a bit years off being 80.

Jet Black rarely plays these days, last see him around 2 years ago when he came on for one song at the end.
Don't think they ever classed themselves as punks, but came through at the same time and always had a punk audience.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jet Black rarely plays these days, last see him around 2 years ago when he came on for one song at the end.
Don't think they ever classed themselves as punks, but came through at the same time and always had a punk audience.

They had a Dutch Biker following in 77. Had a definite presence when they played at the Top Rank (that's in Brighton, in case you're unaware). Part of the reason they were liked by the punks was simply that theirs was one of the firsl LPs released that was vaguely of the genre, sandwiched between the first Damned and first Clash LPs.I played it almost continuously while 'revising' for my first year exams, 38 years ago.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They had a Dutch Biker following in 77. Had a definite presence when they played at the Top Rank (that's in Brighton, in case you're unaware). Part of the reason they were liked by the punks was simply that theirs was one of the firsl LPs released that was vaguely of the genre, sandwiched between the first Damned and first Clash LPs.I played it almost continuously while 'revising' for my first year exams, 38 years ago.

For punks who were already punks, The Stranglers, despite being that little bit older, passed the credibility test mainly due to Hugh Cornwell's sonic SNARL, JJB's alleged black belt martial art capabilities that made journos give him a wide berth, and the band's leather jackets. Oh, and some absolute killer singles and LPs.

The Stranglers also, on account of Dave Greenfield's accomplished keyboard playing, provided entry level punk to punk's older brothers who would on the whole rather be listening to The Doors or some of the UK's progressive pomp rock that had just had its arse kicked by punk.

D

Deleted member 2719

Never got the safety pins,dog collars and evo sniffing.

But I did get the music.
:rave::rave:punk:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
apparently the Stranglers have recently won the punk world cup on twitter?

beat the Clash in the final

don't know what to make of that really

most hardcore Stranglers fans have a siege mentality,no fanfare required

the Pistols were the ultimate 'punk' band

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
apparently the Stranglers have recently won the punk world cup on twitter?

beat the Clash in the final

don't know what to make of that really

most hardcore Stranglers fans have a siege mentality,no fanfare required

the Pistols were the ultimate 'punk' band

You're (rightly) the font of all knowledge on The Stranglers but would you consider them as punk? Growing up with them at the time, I did as Rattus had plenty of stuff you could pogo to (Grip, London Lady etc) but, as I got older, I wondered if they just got lucky with the timing of it all.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
You're (rightly) the font of all knowledge on The Stranglers but would you consider them as punk? Growing up with them at the time, I did as Rattus had plenty of stuff you could pogo to (Grip, London Lady etc) but, as I got older, I wondered if they just got lucky with the timing of it all.

that's a fair point,3 or 4 years either side and maybe it wouldn't have happened for them

obviously the latter albums (except the Meninblack) pretty much tapped into the mood at the time

I loved the rawness of punk,had some great nights down the Rank & Brighton Poly

but the Stranglers always had a little more to offer

they headlined the first night at Reading & supported the Who at Wembley,an average punk band couldn't do this

Down In The Sewer,Walk On By,they were/are very accomplished musicians also

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Would Hazel O'Connor or A Flock of Seagulls be regarded as of a punk variation?

ha ha!

there's a Stranglers connection right there

Cornwell used to service Hazel

and A Flock Of Seagulls are named after a line in Toiler On The Sea

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
that's a fair point,3 or 4 years either side and maybe it wouldn't have happened for them

obviously the latter albums (except the Meninblack) pretty much tapped into the mood at the time

I loved the rawness of punk,had some great nights down the Rank & Brighton Poly

but the Stranglers always had a little more to offer

they headlined the first night at Reading & supported the Who at Wembley,an average punk band couldn't do this

Down In The Sewer,Walk On By,they were/are very accomplished musicians also

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Down In The Sewer as an example of why they weren't specifically punk. Plus, it wasn't an overnight thing for them; they'd done the rounds of poxy little pub gigs for a while whilst the Pistols were kind of put together for a purpose and inspired the likes of Buzzcocks and, to an extent The Clash (101ers and Mick's Mott influences aside) to go for it.
I often wondered whether or not someone like Dr Feelgood (with better timing and a harder sound/look) could have been 'The Stranglers' given their similar background of 'doing the rounds'.
But agree they were bloody good musicians - which kind of flies in the face of what punk was all about!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Funnily enough, I was thinking of Down In The Sewer as an example of why they weren't specifically punk. Plus, it wasn't an overnight thing for them; they'd done the rounds of poxy little pub gigs for a while whilst the Pistols were kind of put together for a purpose and inspired the likes of Buzzcocks and, to an extent The Clash (101ers and Mick's Mott influences aside) to go for it.
I often wondered whether or not someone like Dr Feelgood (with better timing and a harder sound/look) could have been 'The Stranglers' given their similar background of 'doing the rounds'.
But agree they were bloody good musicians - which kind of flies in the face of what punk was all about!

agree timing is everything in the music business,I'm sure Dr Feelgood,although successful could have made a bigger impact,along with a few others

as you probably know the Stranglers started around 73 and slogged around the London pub scene for a good while

Rattus,NMH & B&W all made the top 5 in the album charts,so they had a hardcore following

Peaches,then No More Heroes released as singles really made them mainstream

the Jam are another good example,not really punk,but profitted by it at the time

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Punk or New Wave where do they start/end

I would probably say 76-77 was considered punk and maybe early 78

late 78 and 79 was probably the cross over to new wave

before the new romantics arrived,when was that late 81 early 82?

I would probably say 76-77 was considered punk and maybe early 78

late 78 and 79 was probably the cross over to new wave

before the new romantics arrived,when was that late 81 early 82?
???

Attachments

• new wave.jpg
    new wave.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 81

Jan 30, 2008
To be fair though, Charlie Harper was already middle aged when the UK Subs decided to cash in on the tail end of punk. Bloke's probably due a telegram from Queen,assuming he's still alive and not constantly touring villages in Switzerland with his kids and grand kids.

Many a gig in the crown in Hailsham, last spotted in Si sounds in Lewes???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here