Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"One Club, One Ambition"

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I really hate these meaningless corporate slogans. The Albion I love and have followed for the last 50+ years would never have dreamed of coming up with such mind-numbing drivel.

Let's analyse it:
One club: Yes, I think we know that. In spite of having two town names (Brighton AND Hove) we are indeed one club and, as far as I know, always have been for the last 100+ years. Tells us nothing we didn't already know.
One ambition: Well that's certainly better than having two or three ambitions which would be complicated. Again tells us absolutely nothing. I would suggest that most clubs have an ambition to get as far up the league ladder as they can, AND THEY DON'T NEED A SLOGAN TO REMIND THEM.

What a bunch of bullship!!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
.Living within ones means, having a great structure, supporting the youth system and bringing the youth players through into to first team and having one of the best academy's in the country, dont be inpatient, it's all about the building blocks for the future, it's amazing there is still a Brighton and hove Albion football club in existence, enjoy it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What worries me is that the club now say they have achieved their main player targets.

I was thinking those we have bought were squad players and the big guns were yet to arrive!!! Not overly optimistic for season now, but you never know, we could shock everyone.

I heard that too. It's seriously worrying.

However if you read or listen to the full answer you interpret what was said completely differently.

Tony Bloom

We have been working extremely hard from the end of the season, from the end of May and even more so when Sami came in, looking at transfer targets, we're continually doing that.

We've brought in some players as you know and by the end of the transfer window, by the end of August we will have brought in a few more. We've got our main targets, it's been a bit frustrating and we would have liked to bring in one or two more in before the start of the season but the transfer window is end of August and the season starts 3 or 4 weeks before that so in an ideal world the transfer window would finish and the season would start but it doesn't work like that and we could have brought in 3 or 4 players by now, they wouldn't have been the main ones we want so its a 46 game season and from our perspective we wanna make sure we get the best players in at the best possible price we can within our budget so i'm very confident by the end of August we will have a very good squad and i mean right now we are a few players light, that will be rectified at the right time.

Maybe the local media, the local newspaper haven't been that helpful in saying that players were about to come in today or tomorrow, they don't know whats going on, we do know it's not that easy to get in the players we want but i'm very confident that by the end of August everyone will be happy with our squad

The bit you refer to is just like a typical newspaper article where they use just a soundbite of what was said and make it into something it's not and the original quote is taken out of context.

It's clear from the whole response from Tony Bloom that more signings will be made by the end of the month and that the main targets comment could still be players yet to be signed but they have been identified as the clubs main targets because he said we could have signed 3 or 4 other players by now but they are not the main ones we want.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm just concerned 'our main targets' haven't signed already if they are keen to come here, or are biding their time regarding better offers. We don't want to be desperately trying to sign unattached players, equally desperate to find a club, come late August :nono:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Plastered all over the new club shop. Most people seemed to take the ambition as being to reach the Premier League, which might explain all the suicidal reactions and angered thoughts as to the lack of new signings with Clayton going to Middlesbrough instead.

But have the club actually stated explicitly what the ambition is? Maybe the fans who assumed it was promotion have got it all wrong. It could mean:

• Being the only Championship club to comply with FFP
  • Losing the majority of our "new" fans who end up bored of mid table football
  • Avoiding relegation to League One
  • Setting a record for number of managers lost in post season resignations
  • Selling the most expensive pint of Harvey's in the UK

Agreed doesn't look good

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One Club, One Ambition, One Wage structure, One is not going there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm just concerned 'our main targets' haven't signed already if they are keen to come here, or are biding their time regarding better offers. We don't want to be desperately trying to sign unattached players, equally desperate to find a club, come late August :nono:

So hypothetically if Stephen Ward is one of the main targets would you be happy if we had signed Konchesky instead ? What if one of the targets is currently at a Spanish or German club and we signed Baldock instead ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
25fe055c-fcbb-41a2-a0cd-1a4d8d9d5ae7_800.jpg

"One Club. One Ambition" is indeed a prime example of generic, meaniningless, soul-destroying corporate-speak at its finest.

I'd also have preferred it if JFC didn't have a pouting "OHHHH MATRON" expression slapped all over his 6ft face on the side of my football ground. He looks like a startled ferret.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
25fe055c-fcbb-41a2-a0cd-1a4d8d9d5ae7_800.jpg

"One Club. One Ambition" is indeed a prime example of generic, meaniningless, soul-destroying corporate-speak at its finest.

I'd also have preferred it if JFC didn't have a pouting "OHHHH MATRON" expression slapped all over his 6ft face on the side of my football ground. He looks like a startled ferret.

You should run that one up the flagpole to see which way the wind is blowing, with a bit of blue sky thinking and taking a helicopter view, moving forward I would say that you are spot on! Does anyone know what 'One Ambition ' means, its not a goal as that has to be tangible and time bounded. As for footballers looking hard, well that went away 20 years ago!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Well put. The outpouring of negativity on here is quite astonishing sometimes, and we haven't even kicked a ferking ball this season yet. We don't spunk 10m on an overpriced striker, we don't cave in to Wolves demands for a fee and there is a modest (first for 2 years) price increase in food and drink (which no-one has to buy) and everyone is bleating like babies. I agree this is self-perpetuating - ooh look, everyone is saying everything is shite, so it must be shite. It isn't IMHO. PLR doesn't mean we have to be there next year.....great ground, new manager, best training facility, transport much improved, a few new signings who may or may not work out and possibly others to come and FFP probably observed. I think the club is in very good hands. Bring on Saturday.

I would agree with you, but its about the football, not the training facility, not the food, the transport, the best programme or even the free transfers. Its been a poor lacklustre pre season and the signs are not good. We all hope that things will change on Saturday but our last three have been 3 loses and a draw, not a great portent. The negativity is having an effect, cannot get any clients to come on Saturday to watch the match, its a very flat feeling out there, we need a win, it always quels the negativity.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
At the end of the day we may have the best ground, best training ground, best pies, best ale, best transport, best CEO, best shitters but if the team is absolutely crap and you've sold your best players and not replaced them then the rest is just meaningless shite

Quick! PRESS THE MAKE EVERYTHING OK BUTTON!

The-magic-button-Make-Everything-OK.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
At the end of the day we may have the best ground, best training ground, best pies, best ale, best transport, best CEO, best shitters but if the team is absolutely crap and you've sold your best players and not replaced them then the rest is just meaningless shite

The team can be absolutely crap and you can sell your best players when you've got a shit ground, no training facilities, shit food and drink, and shysters in charge of the shitters. At the end of the day if it is going to go tits up on the pitch I would prefer to have all the other things in place. Meaningless it isn't.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We should have held off on the sale of Leo until a relacement decent striker was ready to put pen to paper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here