Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On Loan???? Yes you heard right.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have this awful feeling we are going backwards squad wise, some will disagree but the signings so far are very uninspiring compared to last season.

Why are you talking to me like I am an idot? It was who Mr Barber stated the playing budget was to be enhanced not me.

I never mentioned 10 more signings I clearly pointed out the caliber of the signings so far are not very inspiring ?

I'm not suggesting you are an idiot; however, I do think last season we saw possibly the biggest uptick in squad quality ever. I DO think it is unrealistic to expect something similar this season (and, most likely, until such time as we reach the Premier League).

Also, by this stage last season, we had signed Kuszczak, Crofts, Bridge and Bruno. Dobbie, Orlandi and Hammond joined at the end of the window.

So far this season we have had Kemy, Upson and Chicksen [as David and El Abd were contracted to us last season, I won't include them]. We still have 3 weeks until the window closes.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'm not suggesting you are an idiot; however, I do think last season we saw possibly the biggest uptick in squad quality ever. I DO think it is unrealistic to expect something similar this season (and, most likely, until such time as we reach the Premier League).

Also, by this stage last season, we had signed Kuszczak, Crofts, Bridge and Bruno. Dobbie, Orlandi and Hammond joined at the end of the window.

So far this season we have had Kemy, Upson and Chicksen [as David and El Abd were contracted to us last season, I won't include them]. We still have 3 weeks until the window closes.

Whilst what you say is entirely true, when it is mentioned that our budget for the season is an increase does the season budget not include what was spent over the entire season? We spent on fees alone upwards of 3 million last season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
When it was mentioned, at the forum, that we would be signing more players, I assumed it WOULD be loan players.

We have the nucleus of a good squad. We need some quality players to see us promoted. If we don't make promotion we let the players go. if we are promoted we negotiate.

Wayne Bridge was on, allegedly, £90,000 per week last season, of which we paid £10.000.

What part of that does the OP not understand?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit that I am disappointed with the gaps we still have in our squad, especially at LB. This has been a known gap for about 2 months I believe. Simply not good enough, especially if it is true we are matching last year's playing budget (as per PB).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you expect the squad to get almost exponentially "better" every season? If so, I think you need to reign in your expectations.

In 2011-12, we signed the likes of Buckley, Hoskins, CMS, Harley, LuaLua and Vicente. Do you have any idea how much that would have increased our playing budget? And we lost 9 million quid.

However, that didn't stop us, last season, adding Bruno, Kuszczak, Bridge, Crofts, Hammond, David, Dobbie, Orlandi, Upson and Ulloa. Again, do you have any idea how much our playing budget must have increased? And we will have made a similar 9 million loss.

And yet you expect comparable signings again THIS season? Really??????

This is true.

The playing budget for last year includes the wages that we spent for the free transfer and loan signings which we are going to have to pay again this year. Assumably Upson, Kemy and Andrews have all been signed on bigger or similar wages than those we released including Vicente, Bridge and Dobbie. Sure we paid 2 million on Ulloa but how was that spread? Did we pay the full amount straight off or is it instalments meaning we are still paying?

Assuming we make a signing and a loan before the window closes, I doubt that will leave a massive amount for the January window. A large part of the budget will be taken up by the players wages of those signed last year who are still here and the signings we have already made this year.

I think some people think because we have been told the budget is the same we are going to sign similar quality players this year, without taking into account how much of the budget is being used on those here already.

I live in hope that the big signing this season will be a quality LB which I think will leave us with a slightly stronger squad than we finished with last year.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here