Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On Hodgson and Olise

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Seems like P*lace fans have been moaning for a while, that Hodgson's training methods were responsible for their injury woes, so this one is really going to sting.

We had a series of hamstring related injuries after the opening of the Amex, the worst of which was Buckley who kept breaking down. It really can be a tedious injury. At one point the training ground surface being different from the stadium surface was getting the blame!

A smart manager would have ordered the player to warm up at half time, sent them out with a physio, with instructions to confirm back they were good to go, before bringing the player on. This is a lot of activity and task juggling for an old fella to perform whilst giving a team talk to the rest of the canon fodder and wondering what he came into the room for again? He isn't taking the blame for this one because I suspect he thinks he did eveything he reasonably could.

In a scenario like this, where you have a senior experienced leader who can't be everywhere, one of his assistants could have taken the responsibility on themselves and then asked Hodgson for a quiet word before sending the players back out. Either they don't show initiative, or they are not confident their boss is going to listen, when they tell him Olise has not warmed up well and shouldn't be risked. This is only going to get worse, unless there are some big changes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another thouhgt, and I don't know Palace's squad well enough to know how much this plays a part... Toward the end the first half, Schlupp got a warning from the ref. He'd gone in late a couple of times. Leaving him on may have been considered a red card risk. If he felt he had to take Schlupp off, what were his best options from the bench he had?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I can't help but feel that his injury record is going to have an impact on the level of fee they can expect in the summer.
Yes, can’t see them getting full value knowing that he is injury prone. When fit he is some player in my opinion.
Think he’ll be high up on Man Utd’s wish list. Wonder what his buy out clause is?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Yes, can’t see them getting full value knowing that he is injury prone. When fit he is some player in my opinion.
Think he’ll be high up on Man Utd’s wish list. Wonder what his buy out clause is?
“Significantly higher” than the £35m he had on his old contract apparently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another thouhgt, and I don't know Palace's squad well enough to know how much this plays a part... Toward the end the first half, Schlupp got a warning from the ref. He'd gone in late a couple of times. Leaving him on may have been considered a red card risk. If he felt he had to take Schlupp off, what were his best options from the bench he had?
The actual bench.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The majority of P4-1ace fans on the cpfc.org match day thread (couldn’t resist a peak) were in agreement that Roy shouldn’t risk him at all. Same on twitter. They all saw it coming. The most bizarre thing for me was Hodgson’s post match musings, saying he didn’t want to have brought Olise “all the way down to Brighton just to tell him to sit on the bench.”
Is that not his job?
I thought that too.

It's as if he was trying to sell the idea that just including him in the matchday squad meant he had no choice but to play him at some point. Did Olise say he either wanted guaranteed minutes, or have the day off completely and not travel? Weird.

With regards to the OP, I think the main fault lies with the player & medical team/physios. If Hodgson is told a player is good for 45 minutes, then he shouldn't be blamed if that was wrong.

As for choosing to risk him in a lost cause... that's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. There would undoubtedly be criticism for throwing in the towel in such a big game

I quite like Roy anyway - seems to be doing a marvellous job. :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I actually think Olise was just unlucky with how it played out. How often do players end up in full-on sprints over fairly long distances in todays game? And to do that just minutes after coming on the pitch. Yet there he was, having to engage in a sudden full-on sprint with Gilmour chasing a ball bouncing in an empty half of the pitch just minutes after coming on. Even a fully healthy hamstring would be tested there.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'm Team"PleaseStay"Roy on this one. You can't blame him for bringing him on in the vain hope he might spark a fightback, especially if your medical team says it is ok to do so,

However, Roy's mistake is that, like most old people, he says what he thinks and doesn't care about the consequences. He could have been a bit more diplomatic with his post match words.

The Olise injury seems to have been a welcome distraction for most from the shocking Palace first half performance (when he wasn't even on the pitch). MOTD spent more time talking about Olise than Palace's on pitch problems. :ffsparr:

I hope both Eze and Olise recovery well and enjoy Palace's relegation party. :banana:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I’m not having the damned if he does damned if he doesn’t comments at all. Just a few cpfc.org quotes from the first half.

I just hope he doesn't do something stupid like risk Olise.
Hope he doesn’t make things worse and risk Olise now. Whats the point?
Just keep Olise off now, no point.
Game over don't risk olise.
If Olise comes on, absolutely insane.

…and then when the sub was made…

Cheers Roy
Seriously just **** off
olise on and you know what happens then ????
Absolutely livid.
MO needs to be protected, crazy he is brought on when we are down by 3 goals.
Oh god he is bringing olise on...

There wasn’t a single post suggesting bringing him on was a good idea.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Roy should have stuck to acting, he’s turned up in this afternoons re run of The Professionals

IMG_3340.jpeg

I wonder if Hodgson would have done it against anyone else. At half-time it was looking like we could win that game 6 or 7-0, and Hodgson would have known that was the end of his job. If he could even come away with a respectable ish 3-2 defeat then it would be nowhere near as bad for him. It was madness to risk him, but I expect Roy thought he was in last chance saloon territory.
I saw it as more he was trying to get the guy up to speed for the next game

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It was noticeable to me that when he came on he and Tariq were quit friendly to each other ,possibly both having knowledge about career threatening injuries.

They’d have both been at Chelsea academy at the same time and are very close in age so would have known each other from there.

*EDIT* scrolled further and just seen @hans kraay fan club beat me to it 👍

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yet there he was, having to engage in a sudden full-on sprint with Gilmour chasing a ball bouncing in an empty half of the pitch just minutes after coming on.
What was funny was that Gilmour didn't realise he'd stopped, so sprinted after the ball himself, controlled it, then as he looked up, there was clearly a split second when he thought "Where the hell did Olise go?" :lol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices. Whilst I enjoy seeing matches between the respective clubs (even more so in recent years as results have turned our way) it has to be tempered with an air of responsibility, and a desire to see justice.

I would not want not to be able to see regular games between the two teams, taking in the atmosphere, reminiscing about previous meetings, laughing at the HF etc etc. But the pleasure I would take just to hear the recriminations, the gnashing of teeth, the imaginary knives being drawn, and the sight of watching grown men visibly losing their shit over a game of football would be so sweet tasting. Just once, or maybe once every ten years or so. Lovely.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Smacks of utter desperation if you ask me, and is therefore extraordinarily satisfying.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hodgson has form for this, he loves to use stupid phrases such ‘let’s test his mettle’, it was this approach that injured a player at Liverpool (I can’t remember who) and Roy was flayed for it at the time. The man is a fraud.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'm sure if Olise had stayed on another 10 mins "he could have run it off" always worked back in the day!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We rolled the dice with Estupinan and probably Lamptey not so long ago,and it didn't go well for either rushing them back,I must admit when I saw Pedro's strapping I thought oh gawd here we go again, it's risk or reward, between the manager the medical staff and most importantly the player concerned the right decision is in there somewhere and in Olise's case none came to the correct decision,and that will cost them big time,at 3 nil down it smacks of blatant incompetence all round really,just give him another week was not rocket science,the game had gone already.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Did I dream this, but I am fairly certain Roy said post-match that the medical staff told him that Olise couldn't play the first half, but would be ok for the second. I also heard a clip discussing this later that evening - talksport perhaps. It's obviously not a medical thing saying they can only play a specific half, so is really odd.

Another thing I have a very firm memory of, is a month or two ago Roy overruling the medical staff on some similar issue. I'm going to try and search for that, because if true it may turn out that this was a similar situation. In which case, Roy shoulders a bit more of the blame

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here