Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On Hodgson and Olise

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet Solly wishes he played for palace.

Gets a poorly knee playing for the Albion and we amputate both his legs 'just in case'.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I can't imagine any manager would risk using a player- especially at 3-0 down with the game all but written-off- unless the medical team told them they were OK to play and the player had indicated they were fine to do so.

Palace fans would've no doubt been crying that Hodgson didn't bring him on at half time if he hadn't.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Of course they'll have scans and do tests, consider load management etc, but even the most advanced sports scientists are limited to a degree by the information the athlete is giving them, ie does it hurt, does it feel tight etc.

If Olise is telling them it's all golden, what are they supposed to do?
Trust their medical expertise. Were they saying that he couldn’t aggravate the injury further by only play 50mins. ? It’s too vague that from medical professionals.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Wonder if the palace medical team all used to do work experience with st john ambulance and are still smarting over not getting paid when they last went into administration (or was it the time before)?

Revenge is a dish best served cold. A bit like the water that floods the holmesdale lower

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They might of thought that he lacked general fitness and couldn’t do 90 mins of course,
Unlike a couple on here I didn’t take any delight in him limping oft

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Palace fans would've no doubt been crying that Hodgson didn't bring him on at half time if he hadn't.
Very much this.

Sure we all knew how this would end because that's the prism we're looking through.

3-1 and playing slightly not worse football, the palace fans would be going mentals if Olise didn't make an appearance.

Roy's gets it either way while they are right irrespective of the outcome.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
#TeamRoy on this one.

The player and the medical staff must have had confidence that he was OK to return to match action, but not a full 90 minutes. We see it often enough with our own returnees.

So what does Roy do? If he had left him on the bench, he'd have got stick from some Palace fans for not putting him on. "We were three nil down to THEM, Olise was on the bench and he didn't even give him a go".

So, he did give him a go - based on being told he was ok for 45 minutes - and it didn't work. So he gets stick for that instead.

Hindsight is great, isn't it?
With you (as Rio F would say) 1 billion per cent

We should also give Pascal a mention here for kicking the ball out of play when he didn’t need to 😉

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Players always overestimate their ability to play. The medical team do the opposite.

It's not like Hodgson doesn't understand anything about injuries is it? He needs to make decisions based on what his team tells him. They obviously told him he wasn't fit enough to play the whole game. And at 3-0 he should have used his brain to not that that risk despite what the medical team have said.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On reflection, I suppose it should be no surprise that poor Olise has troublesome hammys, given that he has to carry ten other blokes for ninety minutes every week.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Players always overestimate their ability to play. The medical team do the opposite.
Well. You say that. It's well known that teams document far fewer injuries when they're playing well and on form. In that scenario, players are desperate to keep their place, so they play through niggles, and mentally they're in the right place to make correct decisions on the pitch (ie less likely to make a half arsed challenge).

When the team is losing, the opposite happens, and players often decide, even subconsciously, that an injury isn't worth the risk. They're happy to let somebody else have a go, avoid the wrath of the fans etc, and are more likely to be in a scenario if they do play where they make a desperate, ill-considered challenge that might result in a further injury.

Plenty of footballer autobiographies have made reference to exactly this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Besides, Estupinan did exactly the same earlier this season didn't he?
Pervis Estupinan, who was returning from a muscular problem, could also only manage just over 10 minutes after his reintroduction as a substitute before being withdrawn, and with Tariq Lamptey also out it has left De Zerbi short of options.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
3-0 is not game over, no matter how bad a team was in the first half. Not when the team in the lead conceded 3 in one half earlier that week. Especially with added time now stretching to as much as 10mins in some games.

They pulled one back. They came close to pulling back a second before we got our 4th. Had that gone in and we were at 3-2 with effectively 10mins to play nerves settle in, Palace get momentum and who knows what happens.

We're only confidently proclaiming it game over because that didn't happen. But it could have, and the chances of it happen are improved if they have their better players on.

What would the fans' reaction be if Olise stays on the bench and Hogson admits he didn't bother making any changes because he felt the game was lost and he was just seeing out the last 45 until the final whistle?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They might of thought that he lacked general fitness and couldn’t do 90 mins of course,
Unlike a couple on here I didn’t take any delight in him limping oft
I was going to say the same who knows what happens to the guys career from here on.

It was noticeable to me that when he came on he and Tariq were quit friendly to each other ,possibly both having knowledge about career threatening injuries.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amusing for us but could happen to any player. I think we're more cautious than most (the Estupinian example doesn't really work as the second injury was a different one as I understand it) but if Ansu had tweaked his quad when he came on we'd be having a similar inquest.

Medical team must have given the green light, but a fair bit of responsibility rests with the player. If he felt anything at all, then a long, hard sprint soon after coming on (didn't see him doing a full warm up at HT either but might have missed it) was very high risk and he should have known that........

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
3-0 is not game over, no matter how bad a team was in the first half. Not when the team in the lead conceded 3 in one half earlier that week. Especially with added time now stretching to as much as 10mins in some games.

They pulled one back. They came close to pulling back a second before we got our 4th. Had that gone in and we were at 3-2 with effectively 10mins to play nerves settle in, Palace get momentum and who knows what happens.

We're only confidently proclaiming it game over because that didn't happen. But it could have, and the chances of it happen are improved if they have their better players on.

What would the fans' reaction be if Olise stays on the bench and Hogson admits he didn't bother making any changes because he felt the game was lost and he was just seeing out the last 45 until the final whistle?
I agree with that - we know how nevry we were against Spurs....

However, anyone who watched Oilse warm up at HT on Saturday, as I did, couldn't be shocked that he didn't last long.

He did a bit of jogging, a few stretches and ONE single 3/4 pace sprint of about 20 yards.

He clearly wasn't fit - not even to be on the bench.

The player would know that - to blame Roy on this one is probably harsh.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My son and I watched him warm up at halftime.

The strangest warm up ever, no sprints over about 4 yards, a bit of stretching, no turning, it really looked as if him and the warm up coach where nowhere near confident his hammys would hold up.

It was no surprise to us that he pulled up during his first serious sprint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here