Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On Hodgson and Olise

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Did I dream this, but I am fairly certain Roy said post-match that the medical staff told him that Olise couldn't play the first half, but would be ok for the second. I also heard a clip discussing this later that evening - talksport perhaps. It's obviously not a medical thing saying they can only play a specific half, so is really odd.

Another thing I have a very firm memory of, is a month or two ago Roy overruling the medical staff on some similar issue. I'm going to try and search for that, because if true it may turn out that this was a similar situation. In which case, Roy shoulders a bit more of the blame
Roy's the manager, he should take the blame. Passing the buck just breaks the trust with your colleagues. It will make them more cautious about what they say. He could just have said "we thought he was fit enough for part of a game and he was unlucky that he picked up an injury so quickly." Then he can keep all the fallout in the club, not played out online.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I dont blame Roy at all on this one. If he's told he can play a half, then he should be able to trust he can play a half. If the roles had been reversed and we had Pedro on the bench and were facing a record tonking against our bitter rivals I'd have been fuming if he wasn't bought on to try and save some respectability. Very easy in hindsight to say Roy should have known better, but in a rivalry game should you ever give up and let a team just capitulate?
Yeah - I don't buy what a number of Palace fans are saying.

If he'd been left on the bench all game, loads of their fans would be saying "We lose 4-1 AND Roy left our best player on the bench. He's clueless." etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Confusingly worded. Makes it sound like Hodgson has been sacked or the sacking is imminent.

Read the article and that doesn't seem to be the case, just that they want Cooper and he doesn't to come til the summer, if at all.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Why doesn't Hodgson just jack it in and save himself all this trauma, why wait to be sacked?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We rolled the dice with Estupinan and probably Lamptey not so long ago,and it didn't go well for either rushing them back,I must admit when I saw Pedro's strapping I thought oh gawd here we go again, it's risk or reward, between the manager the medical staff and most importantly the player concerned the right decision is in there somewhere and in Olise's case none came to the correct decision,and that will cost them big time,at 3 nil down it smacks of blatant incompetence all round really,just give him another week was not rocket science,the game had gone already.
Given how Pedro played on Saturday, and how the ball just stuck to him and his first touch seemed to be improved - maybe we should strap his knee up every week. And just think what he'd be like if we strapped both legs!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yeah - I don't buy what a number of Palace fans are saying.

If he'd been left on the bench all game, loads of their fans would be saying "We lose 4-1 AND Roy left our best player on the bench. He's clueless." etc.
This, reverse and we had Mitoma on the bench we would be saying the same. Anyone other than their best player and there wouldn’t be this fuss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given how Pedro played on Saturday, and how the ball just stuck to him and his first touch seemed to be improved - maybe we should strap his knee up every week. And just think what he'd be like if we strapped both legs!!
I think it depends which way he's facing when dropping deep.

If he's in position and half turned towards their goal - goodnight Vienna.
But when staring straight at Dunk he doesn't yet have the ability to turn with the ball and the opposition breathing down his neck.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
He'd be hopping mad!

Reactions: KNC

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why doesn't Hodgson just jack it in and save himself all this trauma, why wait to be sacked?
briefcase_1024x1024.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here