Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On being kept prisoner at the New Den

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

Was it your first away game?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think keeping us in the ground would have been better than in 'the cage' but I was more pissed off with having to get a bus from Three Bridges than anything.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But think of the home fans - a life sentence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
5.17pm before they opened the gates and we were permitted to leave ... that's about 25 mins after the game ended. Unacceptable. According to the police it was "for our own protection"! I can look after myself perfectly well thank you if I meet some Millwall supporters. They are woosies outside the protection of their stadium.

I shall be writing to the Millwall Chief Executive and the Police Complaints Authority questioning what authority they have to lock us up against our will.

When you've witnessed missiles coming down on that walkway (which I have) you may have a different opinion though. I agree it could be done better though as do the Police I spoke to.

Not sure anyone would mess with the old school Scottish copper at the station. Giving some young kid a right old dressing down. I am not sure he'll be telling him to f### off again anytime soon.

He also dealt with his underlings quite briskly when they appeared to a bit confused about exactly where the Brighton fans could get on the train.

He should have his own TV series.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Millwall supporters were kept in for the same amount of time at our place, Completely expected.

It has to be done with that lot, Where most fans have moved on the Millwall lot still show the lack of intelligence they always have.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Millwall must run up a substantial cost in policing these days.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I don't think you should leave it there, copy in Ann Robinson, Esther Rantzen and the Archbishop of Canterbury. That'll show them

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've always thought it would be better to let the away fans out first (if they believe a risk of confrontations) as they are generally a lot smaller and have further to travel.

However, I guess it is easier to police a small group of irate people with less exits as opposed to a large group with multiple exits.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the problem is that single platform station.

I have quite a lot of respect for Millwall because they do try hard. The stewards are particularly polite and friendly as are the staff behind the bar.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Great, so the OP is a billy big bollox and can look after himself but what about others who can't or maybe have kids with them! Hey, sod the collateral damage, it's every man for himself!!!

All I ask is a choice. I would not and do not wear Brighton colours to a Millwall game so walking out of the stadium after the game there is nothing to identify me as an Albion supporter. If people are concerned they can choose to stay behind for a while. But keeping people against their will?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It has always been the case at Millwall. Not a problem for me. Was it your visit to Millwall?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
They had the same sized crowd as us though by the looks of it. Their support is poor even if Neanderthal.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
All I ask is a choice. I would not and do not wear Brighton colours to a Millwall game so walking out of the stadium after the game there is nothing to identify me as an Albion supporter. If people are concerned they can choose to stay behind for a while. But keeping people against their will?

You cant cater for individuals in situations like that you have to do what's safer for the majority, If they let you out and you got duffed up you'd probably be on here moaning about the lack of segregation.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It's one of the conditions of attending the game though, isn't it. If you choose to attend.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It has always been the case at Millwall. Not a problem for me. Was it your visit to Millwall?

I have been to the old Den two or three times and this is probably my 4th or 5th time at the New Den. Having had experience of being treated like caged animals on an earlier visit when taking the route to the station, the last time I drove and parked not far from the stadium. On that occasion, as I was not going to the station, I was able to leave the stadium immediately. Thought it would be the same today (as I was not going to the station), but NO!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have been to the old Den two or three times and this is probably my 4th or 5th time at the New Den. Having had experience of being treated like caged animals on an earlier visit when taking the route to the station, the last time I drove and parked not far from the stadium. On that occasion, as I was not going to the station, I was able to leave the stadium immediately. Thought it would be the same today (as I was not going to the station), but NO!

Did you miss the start of the Voice because of it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here