Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] OMG!! Saints Fans Want Chris Hughton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Chris would take the Southampton job if offered. The only thing is with us he had good defenders to work with, but Southampton's are rubbish.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think Chris would take the Southampton job if offered. The only thing is with us he had good defenders to work with, but Southampton's are rubbish.

Chris could make them better..

I think he left Lewis Dunk a better player than he found him. Certainly a less reckless defender than he found him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
J
Code:

Not sure Thunderbolts sources are very reliable in this instance.

Murray 17 is misquoting what I posted. I don't have any sources, but my opinion was that Chris had his contract paid up, so doesnt need to find work. He won't exactly be short of a bob or two.
There's a difference between wanting to work, and needing to work.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Irish national team would be a no brainer for everyone concerned if and when the vacancy occurs.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My thoughts on the above

There's currently no vacancy
There's no reputable source linking him with the job even if it came available
He is one of the best available manager
I doubt the majority of saints fans would see it like that

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Irish national team would be a no brainer for everyone concerned if and when the vacancy occurs.

They have already appointed the next one (the former Dundalk manager, and current ROI U21 boss, Kenny) who will take over from McCarthy next year.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don’t see what’s crazy here, Saints are in big big trouble and a man like Chris is more than capable of grinding them to safety.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think he left Lewis Dunk a better player than he found him. Certainly a less reckless defender than he found him.

Although it's now clear there was still more in the tank.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

While I of course didnt follow Dunks development in CH times I feel that there is a bit of a difference between turning a young reasonably promising player into a great PL defender over the course of a few years and trying to make their junk into something useful in this short amount of time. Especially when you are forced to play Yoshida whos real job is obviously not defending against PL strikers but to sell merchandise in Asia.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In the comments section of the Southampton Daily Echo someone has suggested that Chris Hughton takes over the ailing South Coast Club. If Chris happens to be aware of this here is my advice - DON’T!

In fact for the sake of your sanity, your health, your general well being avoid this like the proverbial plague. Put your feet up, look forward to Christmas and enjoy yourself - don’t go anywhere near that poisoned chalice. :ohmy:

So... ONE person made a comment and Saints FANS want CH in charge.
Sensationalist bs. Anyone would think this was a tabloid!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it's all hypothetical but that's what I got out of the thread too. It's not people saying don't touch CH - it's people expressing that Saints would be an awful choice for him.

Absolute hiding to nothing TBF. Dreadful players at the back and not much going forward, apart from Ings, and Ward-Prowse from set pieces. At best he'd tighten up the defence by imposing a shape that protected the awful rearguard with the other players in the team and ground out draws and 1-0s. At worst he'd do that anyway, it wouldn't work and they'd go down. He'd start off in a worse position that he was in with us.

It's not often I agree with [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] but if there is a PL vacancy coming up that CH is suited to then it's definitely West Ham. .

I'm a bit surprised you agree. Wet Sham have grand ambitions, have spent silly money, and expect to sell out the Olympic stadium. They are looking at Europe. If Pellagringo is shipped out, they will be after Young and Thrusting, not another sexigenarian.

If I were an Iron, I'd see a CH appointment as an admission that the club have given up the season and are fire fighting against a relegation (with players probably leaving at Christmas - that young England international for starters). I really don't think they think they are in that place.

Stains, however.....nobody has mentioned yet Redmond and Bertrand. They ought to be salvable and as others have mentioned, some of the fans seem to want CH.

Anyway the club seem committed to Ralph Husenhuesnhuttlehuttel. Don't write the soppy-haired German off yet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Without wasting my time trawling NSC, I can't think of a single poster who hates Hughton.

There were obviously people who didn't like the football played under him and who wanted him to go, but agreed he was, I think, universally respected.

And in terms of whether or not he might take the Saints job:
1. There isn't a vacancy yet...…. and
2. If there were and he was in the frame, I think he has enough savvy to make up his own mind.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
J

Murray 17 is misquoting what I posted. I don't have any sources, but my opinion was that Chris had his contract paid up, so doesnt need to find work. He won't exactly be short of a bob or two.
There's a difference between wanting to work, and needing to work.

I was led to believe that a managers contract is never paid up in a lump sum, they just continue to receive a salary for the length of time remaining on that contract. That is until they take another job, when the salary ends. Might just be pub talk twaddle.

el punal

There were obviously people who didn't like the football played under him and who wanted him to go, but agreed he was, I think, universally respected.

And in terms of whether or not he might take the Saints job:
1. There isn't a vacancy yet...…. and
2. If there were and he was in the frame, I think he has enough savvy to make up his own mind.

Correct on point 1. Correct on point 2. It amuses me that some people on this thread have interpreted my opening post as being disrespectful to Chris Hughton - not at all. It was purely a tongue in cheek comment on the desperate plight at Southampton. Oh well, such is life. :drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm a bit surprised you agree. Wet Sham have grand ambitions, have spent silly money, and expect to sell out the Olympic stadium. They are looking at Europe. If Pellagringo is shipped out, they will be after Young and Thrusting, not another sexigenarian.

If I were an Iron, I'd see a CH appointment as an admission that the club have given up the season and are fire fighting against a relegation (with players probably leaving at Christmas - that young England international for starters). I really don't think they think they are in that place.

Stains, however.....nobody has mentioned yet Redmond and Bertrand. They ought to be salvable and as others have mentioned, some of the fans seem to want CH.

Anyway the club seem committed to Ralph Husenhuesnhuttlehuttel. Don't write the soppy-haired German off yet.

Look at their managerial history - Big Sam, Moyes. CH is better than both IMHO

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don’t get the OMG CH is a very good manager, like the majority of managers they tend to have a life span at one particular club and generally part ways at some point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No, I agree. But that's not the point.

I am 'channeling' the Dildo Brothers. Their ambitions are now different from during the Upton Park era (now they are awash with cash, in part due to their being effectively given a massive stadium for next to nothing). I mean, do they really look like CH kinda guys? ???

West-Hams-co-owners-David-Gold-L-and-David-Sullivan.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Hughton is not better than Big Sam in terms of results. Don't think there is a single person who actually thinks that. Nicer bloke, less likely to be hated by fans, less likely to rock the boat with the board but actually better at managing a Premier League team? No way. That Sunderland side Big Sam kept up was a total shambles, Palace likewise, what he achieved with Bolton was remarkable. Allardyce gets sacked because he keeps ending up at mid level Prem teamswith delusions of grandeur, not because he fails. Hughton failed once at Prem level, and very nearly failed again with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here