Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OMG David Starkey is on Question Time again...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just seen the Labour woman is Rachel Reeves - she's a former junior chess champion. She's not a teacher, she's an economist and has worked for various banks.

A smart cookie - worth an outside bet as a future leader I reckon.

Well if she is that's tory power for longer

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Will Young next week. He'll probably burst into song.

Starkey came across as an obnoxious little man. Shaking his head and muttering while others were speaking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Starkey came across as an obnoxious little man. Shaking his head and muttering while others were speaking.

This. I'd say obnoxious arrogant patronising little old man though. It's irrelevant if he is an intellectual or not as he will always loose his listener due to his manner. That said a number of his points were odd, he clearly has issues.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Will Young next week. He'll probably burst into song.

Will young has been on before and is quite eloquent and intelligent- far more so that the opinionated and arrogant David Starkey.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This. I'd say obnoxious arrogant patronising little old man though. It's irrelevant if he is an intellectual or not as he will always loose his listener due to his manner. That said a number of his points were odd, he clearly has issues.

Considering you were championing an equally patronising and shouty left winger in Owen Jones the other week, that is a touch hypocritical.

Good to see the BBC getting both ends of the scale on the program though,

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Where does he find the time?

david-soul-starsky-and-hutch.jpg

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Starkey was ace last night I thought.

He talks good sense, says things that people just don't want to acknowledge as true.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Apart from Starkey being a loathsome individual, what I don't understand about QT is the reluctance to broaden the net of people appearing.

There must be thousands of people more than qualified, across areas of academia, the media, arts, industry etc. It's usually just the same old names every time. Starkey shouldn't be on QT more than once a decade, but it's like he's got a season ticket.

I suppose with the politicians there is more need to use the senior figures, but not outside that.

I think the producers are just lazy, aren't really aware enough of who would be good, and aren't trying hard enough to find out. Just read the papers, it isn't hard, or ask around.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Will young has been on before and is quite eloquent and intelligent- far more so that the opinionated and arrogant David Starkey.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

I don't disagree with the eloquent part but the intelligent bit is stretching it.

Starkey's manner is showmanship but behind that speaks a highly intelligent man who normally treats all sides of the political spectrum with the same derision. He conducts himself in a way that has been somewhat lost in public life. If a few more intelligent politicians spoke in such a way we just might have a better focus on the way forwards. Our "greatest" ever PM, Churchill was very similar in the way he treated people and that in turn gave him the power to move country forward. These days people in public life are too afraid to shock others as society has become all too precious. The way he put down the two audience members was just superb. Effectively when in the presence of someone as intelligent and learned think before you speak, for then only relevant items are discussed.

On the taxing of the rich, it has been proved time and time again, tax the rich they will not invest, give them the means to expand their ideas and their companies and the economy grows. Give a person on benefits an extra tenner, they will squander it, give to an entrepreneur and they will invest it.

All in all I find him entertaining.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Starkey is a bit of an enigma - clearly a person of high intellect but not too bright when it comes to communicating with the masses, a not uncommon trait. He does talk some sense and attacks problems head on which others don't like to hear. I think there could be an element of " I have had to cope with gay persecution and got on with it so everyone else should do the same", but he does himself no favours as he does come across as an obnoxious self opinionated twat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apart from Starkey being a loathsome individual, what I don't understand about QT is the reluctance to broaden the net of people appearing.

There must be thousands of people more than qualified, across areas of academia, the media, arts, industry etc. It's usually just the same old names every time. Starkey shouldn't be on QT more than once a decade, but it's like he's got a season ticket.

I suppose with the politicians there is more need to use the senior figures, but not outside that.

I think the producers are just lazy, aren't really aware enough of who would be good, and aren't trying hard enough to find out. Just read the papers, it isn't hard, or ask around.
Very much this. Same goes for Will Self, I'm bored of listening to his opinions now. Even last night's soccerist has now appeared twice in the last 5 or 6 weeks which is ridiculous.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Starkey does have a point though, GPs are already effectively private anyway and raking it in.

I tend to ignore their opinion on the subject, since the pension reforms effect their pay quite drastically.

.. and I read that in the Guardian.

Right so the very people that have a self interest in the profitability of their practice are the ones the tories are going to trust with 80% of the NHS budget! GPs, whilst indispensible, are not experts in any given field, ie jack of all trades and master of none. When there is this so called choice where do you think GPs are going to encourage people to go? Will price be the overriding factor?

I don't disagree with the eloquent part but the intelligent bit is stretching it.

Starkey's manner is showmanship but behind that speaks a highly intelligent man who normally treats all sides of the political spectrum with the same derision. He conducts himself in a way that has been somewhat lost in public life. If a few more intelligent politicians spoke in such a way we just might have a better focus on the way forwards. Our "greatest" ever PM, Churchill was very similar in the way he treated people and that in turn gave him the power to move country forward. These days people in public life are too afraid to shock others as society has become all too precious. The way he put down the two audience members was just superb. Effectively when in the presence of someone as intelligent and learned think before you speak, for then only relevant items are discussed.

On the taxing of the rich, it has been proved time and time again, tax the rich they will not invest, give them the means to expand their ideas and their companies and the economy grows. Give a person on benefits an extra tenner, they will squander it, give to an entrepreneur and they will invest it.

His manner is the last thing that you should be seeking in our leaders. Just to remind you, Churchill was a leader 70 years ago when Britain was very different and we were at war. Whether he is intelligent or not, he cannot deal with other people with other opinions. He is arrogant about his knowledge of history and thinks it gives him the right to belittle anyone that doesn't agree with him, usually in an offensive manner. He is nothing more than bully. Rather than look down his nose at those audience members would it not be more productive to explain succinctly why we couldn't exert economical pressure on the likes of Russia and China. In that way, people might listened to him more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Considering you were championing an equally patronising and shouty left winger in Owen Jones the other week, that is a touch hypocritical.

Good to see the BBC getting both ends of the scale on the program though,

Are you serious? Owen Jones has opnions but he is not patronising. And even if he is, he is not even close to the same league as Starky.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can see why you like Starkey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very much this. Same goes for Will Self, I'm bored of listening to his opinions now. Even last night's soccerist has now appeared twice in the last 5 or 6 weeks which is ridiculous.

I rather like Will Self.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here