Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

omg black cats 1 - red devils 0

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting to see the response of Sir Bobby Charlton on the news after the final whistle, he seemed to be shaking his head and muttering to Fergie something like " well I'm not renewing my season ticket to watch this crap "

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think the problem is that the fear factor has gone.

A few years ago, the Sunderlands, Swanseas and Evertons of this world would have shat themselves before the first whistle and just rolled over exactly like Mike Tyson's early opponents used to. These days the world can see that United aren't invincible and teams feel more relaxed and so play better against them.

Not sure "problem" is the right word.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
United were very lucky that Rafael wasn't sent off for a second yellow, it would have been harsh, but I have seen them given for far less.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Interesting to see the response of Sir Bobby Charlton on the news after the final whistle, he seemed to be shaking his head and muttering to Fergie something like " well I'm not renewing my season ticket to watch this crap "
Charlton always looks miserable. It still amazes me a club as big as Utd let a retiring manager choose the clubs new manager.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

What has Charlton done since he hung up his boots about 40 years ago. He never made it in management, and has spent all them years since he retired just milking his time at Manure.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Charlton always looks miserable. It still amazes me a club as big as Utd let a retiring manager choose the clubs new manager.

Ferguson recommended Moyes, but it's not like they just asked him when he retired who they should appoint. David Gill, Bobby Charlton and their other board members would have been consulted too and those discussions would have happened 2-3 years before Ferguson retired. The situation of a manager resigning/retiring after over 20 years in charge is so rare so it is not something that often crops up, but I'd imagine on a lower level, Dario Gradi would've been instrumental in who took over from him at Crewe. Kenwright will have consulted Moyes about who followed him at Everton too. Hell, even at Palace, Holloway put in a good word for Pulis and he was only at Selhurst Park for a year.

United need Van Persie and Rooney back and fast. It will only be a sticking plaster in the short term but if they are back in the team, they should at least be able to overturn the slender advantage that Sunderland have. When they last won the League Cup in 2010, they were 2-1 down after the 1st leg against Man City but Rooney ran the show in the 2nd leg and they won 3-1. They'd never get him because of the selling to a rival club thing, but Juan Mata would reinvigorate this United team creatively and be a more reliable outlet in a wide position than any of Nani, Young or Valencia have been this season.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
They have no character anymore.
Cantona,Keane,Beckham,Robson,Scholes.......where are these types of player in the current squad?

This team needs a major rebuild.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ferguson recommended Moyes, but it's not like they just asked him when he retired who they should appoint. David Gill, Bobby Charlton and their other board members would have been consulted too and those discussions would have happened 2-3 years before Ferguson retired. The situation of a manager resigning/retiring after over 20 years in charge is so rare so it is not something that often crops up, but I'd imagine on a lower level, Dario Gradi would've been instrumental in who took over from him at Crewe. Kenwright will have consulted Moyes about who followed him at Everton too. Hell, even at Palace, Holloway put in a good word for Pulis and he was only at Selhurst Park for a year.

United need Van Persie and Rooney back and fast. It will only be a sticking plaster in the short term but if they are back in the team, they should at least be able to overturn the slender advantage that Sunderland have. When they last won the League Cup in 2010, they were 2-1 down after the 1st leg against Man City but Rooney ran the show in the 2nd leg and they won 3-1. They'd never get him because of the selling to a rival club thing, but Juan Mata would reinvigorate this United team creatively and be a more reliable outlet in a wide position than any of Nani, Young or Valencia have been this season.
No I don't agree, are you trying to tell me the board looked all over Europe for a replacement and the best they could come up with is Moyes? 15 years at Everton winning nothing, a manager the couldn't with home advantage beat a not very good Wigan side in the quarters of the FA cup please. Mourinho was available and should of been appointed.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's noticeable how Sunderland under Poyet seem to be sharing a certain parallel with his former club this season, namely they are pulling off results against top half teams, but struggling against the teams down the bottom of the table. Since Poyet has gone there, they have beaten 6 of the top 9 in either the league or the League Cup. Against that though, don't think they have beaten anyone in the bottom half.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I think that's a "whooosh".

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No I don't agree, are you trying to tell me the board looked all over Europe for a replacement and the best they could come up with is Moyes? 15 years at Everton winning nothing, a manager the couldn't with home advantage beat a not very good Wigan side in the quarters of the FA cup please. Mourinho was available and should of been appointed.

When Manchester United sacked Dave Sexton in 1981, the press, fans etc wanted Brian Clough. They appointed Ron Atkinson. Their other candidates on the shortlist were Bobby Robson, Lawrie McMenemy and Ron Saunders. They didn't even consider Clough. Same in '86. Terry Venables was the favourite, but it was Bobby Charlton who suggested they speak to Alex Ferguson. The rest is history.

What you're not appreciating is that Gill and Charlton were hugely instrumental in the decision making process too and it would have been they as much as Ferguson who will have blackballed the fans' probable 1st choice and certainly the media's, Jose Mourinho. They would've seen Mourinho as too maverick and possibly too nuclear who could do damage to the club's reputation and too manipulative in challenging the hierarchy. He didn't exactly enhance the perception of Real Madrid while he was there and that was what ultimately saw him leave more than the results.

Get past Mourinho, who else were they going to go for with your kind of pedigree? Guardiola would very probably have come under consideration and been recommended by Ferguson were it not that he had already agreed to go to Bayern Munich by then. Jurgen Klopp was in the process of signing a contract until 2018 with Dortmund (incidentally before he managed Dortmund, he managed Mainz who were not winning a shedload of European trophies). Jupp Heynckes had just won the Champions League, but at 68 years of age, he was hardly going to be in it for the long haul. Ditto Guus Hiddink. Moyes will have been respected by United's hierarchy because in 11 years his Everton team had gradually improved from relegation scrappers to good season-bad season merchants to regulars in the top 6 and with each passing year, they were playing better football. Martinez is getting the plaudits now, when in reality, Everton started to play expansive football the previous year under Moyes and were getting praised for it at the time.

United not appointing the maverick manager that might cause them problems in the board room is not a new thing and given that the Glazers' input into football decisions is likely to be minimal, the strategy is going to be in the hands of the board, comprising Ferguson obviously, but also Bobby Charlton and David Gill too. The fact that Bobby Charlton was quite critical in an interview about Mourinho a year or so ago would appear to suggest Mourinho was never a front runner in their eyes to succeed Ferguson. I think part of that will be the reasons I mentioned above, but also Mourinho's reputation as a 'project manager'. He hasn't stayed in a job for longer than 3 years, whereas they wanted to put someone in who could build the next generation and be there in 7-8 years from now. It's easy to say in hindsight that they shouldn't have looked too far ahead, but at the same time, historically the club has tried to look long term in the appointments it has made.

As much as anything, David Gill leaving as CEO and Edward Woodward coming in to replace him at the same time as David Moyes, with neither of them officially starting their job until July didn't help. They lost valuable time planning and preparing to make signings in the summer. They usually conduct their transfer business early. Instead, they ended up making botched efforts to sign players at the end of the window which were as much Woodward's fault as they were Moyes'. Factor in what other posters have mentioned about Ferguson having allowed good young players to go towards the end of his tenure, especially Paul Pogba, and that explains their current state of flux.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As much as anything, David Gill leaving as CEO and Edward Woodward coming in to replace him at the same time as David Moyes, with neither of them officially starting their job until July didn't help. They lost valuable time planning and preparing to make signings in the summer. They usually conduct their transfer business early. Instead, they ended up making botched efforts to sign players at the end of the window which were as much Woodward's fault as they were Moyes'. Factor in what other posters have mentioned about Ferguson having allowed good young players to go towards the end of his tenure, especially Paul Pogba, and that explains their current state of flux.

Blimey they called "The Equaliser" they must be worried.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I once was at a cashpoint machine and Bobby Charlton was in front of me.

"Good result for United last Saturday Bobby" I said politely.

He turned, lookers at me as if I was a dog plop on his shoe "SIR Bobby" he said, and scowled his way off.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well they have called in their share of equalisers over the years.

It would be a worry if they called that particular Edward Woodward though as he died 4 years ago!

He's known as DeadWoodWard up in Manchester. Nice guy, out of his depth.

Was convinced he had signed Bale last summer but was run a merry dance by his agent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here