Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Olympique de Marseille vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My understanding is that Fati would not have been offside because he was behind the ball IF Welbs had passed it. Am I right or am I wrong?

That's (no offence) obviously correct. The (incorrect) suggestion was that Fati was offside when the previous ball was played to Welbs, and as it was the same phase, he'd then be offside had Welbs have passed it to him. It's only whether or not you're in an offside position when the last player on your side to touch it, passes it to you.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I doubt it. Think Welbeck saw that and went for it.
I realise I’m probably totally wrong because these are pro footballers and I’m not. But as a spectator I’m always thinking it looks much easier to quickly sidestep and fire it into an open net, albeit from a tighter angle, rather than just whack it at the goalie and hope it wrong-foots him, or sneaks under him, or gets a lucky deflection. Or if further out, try dinking it over him.

Now reread my first sentence.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I realise I’m probably totally wrong because these are pro footballers and I’m not. But as a spectator I’m always thinking it looks much easier to quickly sidestep and fire it into an open net, albeit from a tighter angle, rather than just whack it at the goalie and hope it wrong-foots him, or sneaks under him, or gets a lucky deflection. Or if further out, try dinking it over him.

Indeed. I thought at the time it was in need of an Undav chip.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It would be funny (although not for us) if Marseille went and scored after that to win it 3-2 :lolol:
Looked at his other videos. Kicking in TVs seems to be his ‘thing’.

One video had £1.9m views. Even at 1p per view, £19k is going to pay for a lot of replacement TV sets! I imagine his excitement and anger is mostly fake and he is just putting on a show because it’s money he loves, not so much Marseilles.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looked at his other videos. Kicking in TVs seems to be his ‘thing’.

One video had £1.9m views. Even at 1p per view, £19k is going to pay for a lot of replacement TV sets! I imagine his excitement and anger is mostly fake and he is just putting on a show because it’s money he loves, not so much Marseilles.
I did wonder if that was the case. The fact that he kept going at it for so long - including with what looked like an inflatable - made me think if it was all part of his 'act'.

Strange times.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree. Marseille played well in the first half, everything worked for them going forward, and were in not for a Dunk brain fart and Welbs fuckup we could have (slightly undeservedly) gone in 1-1. They did deserve a lead, but maybe a 1 goal lead would have been more reflective of the game.

We then did brilliantly to come back from 2 down in our first ever European tour match, against a decent side. I feel pretty good (although I am in absolute shock that some people here still have no idea what the offside rule is).
All of this, particularly the offside part….. staggering.

For health reasons couldn’t attend, but insanely jealous of all the stories coming back from Marseille - great support everyone.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Did anyone else see that guy fronting up Scott Welch ? Beef about a flag on the fence.
Brave guy. I wouldn’t fancy his chances if Scott unleashed his anger in a physical way.
He’s still an absolute unit, you’d have to be very absent minded to confront him.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Best always used to take it round the keeper and knock it into the net. According to him he only failed to score once and that was when Bob Wilson managed to get his hand on the ball as he went round him.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That's (no offence) obviously correct. The (incorrect) suggestion was that Fati was offside when the previous ball was played to Welbs, and as it was the same phase, he'd then be offside had Welbs have passed it to him. It's only whether or not you're in an offside position when the last player on your side to touch it, passes it to you.
I always used to reckon I knew the offside law as well as anyone but some of the VAR decisions involving "interfering with play" make me question myself (and my sanity).
Disallowing Mac Ali's thunderbastard because Mwepu was deemed offside is an example.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always used to reckon I knew the offside law as well as anyone but some of the VAR decisions involving "interfering with play" make me question myself (and my sanity).
Disallowing Mac Ali's thunderbastard because Mwepu was deemed offside is an example.
Yeah, that's another minefield altogether. I though Alexis's goal should have stood, because the defender was going to try and head the ball away regardless of Mwepu's position, so I don't think he was interfering with play, but I'm not claiming to be an expert on the finer points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here