Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Olympique de Marseille vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
it was really poor from DW that - but you can’t blame one mistake for our whole group outcome. Joao Pedro had an identical opportunity at 2-2 in the AEK game, and hit it at the keeper’s legs much the same, when a square pass to an unmarked Mitoma was a certain goal.
Genuine query here...Fati was well offside as the ball was played to DW. If he had squared it would it have counted?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That noise was something else.

I tend to agree with the other posters who said it unsettled some of our players. The first half hour they were clearly getting used to it. Last 60 minutes, much much better.

Loved it. What an amazing first European away trip. Just a shame that Marseille have allowed such a moronic set of ultras to get out of hand. I really believe that all human beings can get along if they try, but this culture is now ingrained.

Amazing night. Loved it! Loved loved loved it!
Roberto has said as much about the atmosphere affecting the players at the start.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I agree. Marseille played well in the first half, everything worked for them going forward, and were in not for a Dunk brain fart and Welbs fuckup we could have (slightly undeservedly) gone in 1-1. They did deserve a lead, but maybe a 1 goal lead would have been more reflective of the game.

We then did brilliantly to come back from 2 down in our first ever European tour match, against a decent side. I feel pretty good (although I am in absolute shock that some people here still have no idea what the offside rule is).
My understanding is that Fati would not have been offside because he was behind the ball IF Welbs had passed it. Am I right or am I wrong?

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
My understanding is that Fati would not have been offside because he was behind the ball IF Welbs had passed it. Am I right or am I wrong?
You're right. I think that some of us, including me when watching live, thought he was in front of the ball. I still back Welbz, though. He's a striker, through on goal, stretching, I think most players in that position would have taken the shot....the fact the keeper saved it is another matter. Reminded me a bit of 'And Smith must score', keeper's legs keeping it out😄

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well glad we drew but have to think we need more going forward, if we hadn’t of got that pen we’d of lost.
But we DID get a penalty... because it was a penalty :lolol:

That's a bit like saying it would only 'of' been 1-0 if Dunk hadn't been unceremoniously nutmegged!

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Did anyone else see that guy fronting up Scott Welch ? Beef about a flag on the fence.
Brave guy. I wouldn’t fancy his chances if Scott unleashed his anger in a physical way.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Rubbish, read the rules. It was the same phase of play , an onside player passing to an offside player who scores is still offside. Why do you think there was the controversy with the Villa goal on Sunday when the ball was played with a player offside. The goal stood because he not only didn't touch the ball but was deemed not to be interfering with play
Maybe you should actually read the rules.

A player is not offside if they are behind the ball.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nope, that's not correct - offside offences are only given in reference to the relative position of opposition players, not own team players: https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Also, LAWS...
Erm... he was right. I'm not sure if you actually read the link you posted?

If you are behind the ball when the ball is played, you can not be offside, irrespective of the position of any other players.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here