[Albion] Olympique de Marseille vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Lots of scapegoating and analysis on this thread (including some from me) but IMO the simple issue is when you have a relatively complicated system of play as we do under De Zerbi, it requires all 11 on the field playing the system 100%, when one or two fail to, it all starts to break down.

Unfortunately, the need to field so many new/inexperienced (to de zerbi ball) players because of our current schedule ( and after losing our MF in the summer and Encisco out ) is going to impact our play.

We will improve through the season but it may by then be too little too late for our European campaign this season.

Our AMs and strikers will not look impactful unless they are fed the ball from MF - the MF can’t do that if they fail to pick up any second balls and concede on every tackle - the defence is a mess because the play further up the field has forced them into defensive rather than an attacking mind set - the vulnerabilities of de zerbi ball will obviously be magnified when we are weak in MF and can’t transition or pivot to take the attack forward.

I said at the time Caceido was worth more than £110m to us because of his intrinsic value to the squad and I still feel that we should not have sold him.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Superb by Lamptey and having had such a poor game so far nice ball from Mitoma.

Come on lads!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lots of scapegoating and analysis on this thread (including some from me) but IMO the simple issue is when you have a relatively complicated system of play as we do under De Zerbi, it requires all 11 on the field playing the system 100%, when one or two fail to, it all starts to break down.

Unfortunately, the need to field so many new/inexperienced (to de zerbi ball) players because of our current schedule ( and after losing our MF in the summer and Encisco out ) is going to impact our play.

We will improve through the season but it may by then be too little too late for our European campaign this season.

Our AMs and strikers will not look impactful unless they are fed the ball from MF - the MF can’t do that if they fail to pick up any second balls and concede on every tackle - the defence is a mess because the play further up the field has forced them into defensive rather than an attacking mind set - the vulnerabilities of de zerbi ball will obviously be magnified when we are weak in MF and can’t transition or pivot to take the attack forward.

I said at the time Caceido was worth more than £110m to us because of his intrinsic value to the squad and I still feel that we should not have sold him.
He didn’t want to stay.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
So happy for Lampty, he's been our best player. OM struggling with what to do with him.

Lamptey needs to be first choice if that means anything in crazy rotation world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports