Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
J

Always felt a little torn by the Olympic thing. I think the UK is top three now and we have some immense athletes. By the same token I'm very conscious that if it wasn't for the gazillions that the lottery etc has pumped into it then we'd be celebrating the usual solo gold in rowing or something. It's not really a level playing field to boast about.

Because no other nation in the world funds their olympic teams in anyway? The reason the lottery money was used this way in the first place was to allow (among other things) UK sport to catch up with the funding in place for other nations

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I stayed up until 3:15 to watch the rowing and see the cyclists off, then bed and up for the end of the road race and GB women football at 11:30.

Rather like Geraint Thomas, no doubt I'll crash out sooner than expected. But so far, so good.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, the best bit of advice I can give for fellow Olympic devotees is to pick up a copy of this week's Radio Times.

It's a 16 day Olympic Special copy with the first 84 pages solely listing the events and timings in the most comprehensive day-by-day, event-by-event style.

There's a wealth of articles and features as well with background info on GB's medal hopes.

A bargain at only 4 quid and the perfect guide to the Games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Because no other nation in the world funds their olympic teams in anyway? The reason the lottery money was used this way in the first place was to allow (among other things) UK sport to catch up with the funding in place for other nations

Slight correction - it was to allow UK Sport to attempt to catch up without a huge state sponsored doping programme.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not so much caught up as steamed ahead. As far as I'm aware, the USA doesn't fund their Olympic body. I think the UK put £350m into ours during this four year cycle. I'm sure I also read that quotes had been issued with a view to topping the medals table by 2032.

It's great to see the success and the athletes put in years of hard work. But, in financial perspective, we do seem to be the 'Manchester City' of the Olympics.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Currently watching 3 on 3 basketball.

Those of us who have a problem with regular basketball, really, really aren't gonna like this!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Currently watching 3 on 3 basketball.

Those of us who have a problem with regular basketball, really, really aren't gonna like this!

It's how basketball is played out on the mean streets. And also on that basketball court on The Gallops in Findon.

I had no idea it was included until it just came on. I guess it's part of "bringing the Olympics to the young" thing that has been discussed this week. See also: skateboarding and surfing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's how basketball is played out on the mean streets. And also on that basketball court on The Gallops in Findon.

I had no idea it was included until it just came on. I guess it's part of "bringing the Olympics to the young" thing that has been discussed this week. See also: skateboarding and surfing.

The Yank who's surname is Plum is making me laugh more that it sure considering I'm 51 years old.

Pretty sure Dolson could screw me up in a ball and slam dunk me through the hoop without giving it a second thought.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Netherlands 3-3 Brazil in the Womens soccer ball...High quality match, shame Dutch Eurosport keep flicking over to every sport the Netherlands have got a competitor in and an ad break every 10 mins...Might get to see 15 mins of actual live football out of the 90

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is the first time I'm genuinely not interested in it all.

I wasn't at all before it started, but having watched a bit I've now remembered that I'm a knowledgable expert in rowing, badminton, boxing, swimming, hockey, taekwondo and shooting so I'm invested once again.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My strategy is not to bother with any of it. This does not interfere with sleep patterns or daily routines. Perfect.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
What I'm not a fan of is the BBC plastering it all over the Saturday night schedule - when it's recorded stuff from earlier.

There's always pleasure for me seeing superb exponents of their sport who never get televised widely under normal circumstances.

Not sure about the three man basketball thing with only the single hoop - what's that all about.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
So, what’s in store for this evening?

Been watching the mens' street skateboarding. I don't think I've ever even stood on a skateboard, and I had no idea it was now an olympic sport, but I'm hooked (rooting for the dude from the AZ, Jagger Eaton).

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Perv corner.

Got up early for the diving, some of the swimsuits leave little to the imagination. Unfortunately have to wait till next friday for the beach volleyball

Oh - Sam Quek - I would do some terrible things to her....

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Thought it was strange that the Dutch girl who finished 2nd in the cycling road race celebrated like she'd won it...

Only to find out she had thought she'd won it :ohmy:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That GangJong was a proper shitehouse decision.

I scored that Apple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here