Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Is anyone saying there is a right or wrong time to say those things ..but they are saying that it was years ago in someone’s youth ..and I’ll speak for myself here by saying I said a lot of things that I wouldn’t say now which judging by today’s ’media court’ would result in me being hung drawn and quartered

Exactly. When I think back to my behaviour @ 18 and 19 my blood runs cold. But everyone (hopefully) grows up an out of it. Luckily there was no social media then

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Absolutely ridiculous. In 2021 we are told we must 'educate' ourselves, so how come 8 year old tweets from someone who was 18 - and has not posted anything similar since then suggesting he is a changed character is being punished so harshly?
Whats next, checking through school reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Robinson is being put in a shocking position by politicians turning this into a culture war. Robinson admitted it was wrong and apologised. As far as I can tell he was happy to take his punishment and the ECB is doing what employers do when rules are broken. Suspended and investigate. Now minister and prime minister have waded in Robinson will become a legend of the right wing and they will be fighting his corner. Robinson could end up as a cult hero for racists all because of something he did years ago and politicians hoping to score cheap points. Poor bloke made a bad mistake but it could get very worse with support from the right.

On a related note. Didn’t someone lose their spot in I’m a celebrity because of something they did on social media when they were a kid ie not an adult.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think using the N word is signficant enough

edit: I don't think you've seen all of them

Where's the link to those then. If you are going to start saying he used the N word, at least be decent enough to link to those tweets, as most have only seen the 4 he did.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Absolutely pathetic.

4 tweets posted by a dumb 18 year old before he hit fame, probably read at the time by a few mates, and he even put Wheeyyy after one of them, almost as it to say it is a stupid joke.

Now some piece of shit journalist has sat on these, until he played and starred for England, and then decided to post the story, and all the morons say how disgusting they were and how evil he is, 10 years after the event.

Truely pathetic.

It's about time the press started widely publishing these tweets, so people can make their own minds up on what was said and how and the context of it.

Instead we get all the "experts" on TV saying how backwards society is, and I bet most of them haven't even seen the tweets and are jumping on the band wagon.

Don't forget the Anti-racism rabble, mainly Troy Townsend attacked the Albion for sacking Chris Houghton because he was black. It's pathetic and got out of control, and is overshadowing the true suffering of black and coloured people in the world.

All this kneeing and whining because someone said or posted something that some poor snowflake wants to make an issue off is out of control now.

We need a rethink. Fast.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not a cricket fan. And haven’t seen every single tweet. But I’m really not a fan of the current call out and cancel culture mentality. Why kill the guy. It allows no one the room to grow, to mature. Yes I know people will say “18’s an adult”, but it’s really so so young.

However, this has happened with more than a few celebrities and athletes now. So I am surprised anyone with any fame or notoriety doesn’t review their Twitter activity and remove anything that could be taken out of context.

We’re becoming a society which allows no chance of rehabilitation. One mistake, and we’ll end your sporting or celebrity career for good. It’s an ugly, hollow, virtue signalling attitude. Not a fan of it, not one bit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with everything else here, but I'm not sure which England tour is being referred to?

Sorry, I read he was on tour with England when he last tweeted his ****wittery. It doesn't really matter whether he was or not (on tour with England). He was 19. Old enough to be a grandparent if he were from Croydon. He certainly wasn't over the rec, in short trousers, playing 'who won the war in 1964?' with a rosy-cheeked Das Reich at the time.

Apologies for my tetchiness. Not directed at you :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely pathetic.

4 tweets posted by a dumb 18 year old before he hit fame, probably read at the time by a few mates, and he even put Wheeyyy after one of them, almost as it to say it is a stupid joke.

Now some piece of shit journalist has sat on these, until he played and starred for England, and then decided to post the story, and all the morons say how disgusting they were and how evil he is, 10 years after the event.

Truely pathetic.

It's about time the press started widely publishing these tweets, so people can make their own minds up on what was said and how and the context of it.

Instead we get all the "experts" on TV saying how backwards society is, and I bet most of them haven't even seen the tweets and are jumping on the band wagon.

Don't forget the Anti-racism rabble, mainly Troy Townsend attacked the Albion for sacking Chris Houghton because he was black. It's pathetic and got out of control, and is overshadowing the true suffering of black and coloured people in the world.

All this kneeing and whining because someone said or posted something that some poor snowflake wants to make an issue off is out of control now.

We need a rethink. Fast.

That made me laugh out loud. Give your head a wobble. It matters not who ambushed this cricketer with some nuts stored up for a chilly day. They were nuts :shrug:

And your position is made, loud and clear.

:lolol:

Here is your homework. Three steps of separation: The Queen and Adolph Hitler. It isn't difficult :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Robinson is being put in a shocking position by politicians turning this into a culture war. Robinson admitted it was wrong and apologised. As far as I can tell he was happy to take his punishment and the ECB is doing what employers do when rules are broken. Suspended and investigate. Now minister and prime minister have waded in Robinson will become a legend of the right wing and they will be fighting his corner. Robinson could end up as a cult hero for racists all because of something he did years ago and politicians hoping to score cheap points. Poor bloke made a bad mistake but it could get very worse with support from the right.

On a related note. Didn’t someone lose their spot in I’m a celebrity because of something they did on social media when they were a kid ie not an adult.

Agree.

Let them have an investigation. Let him be suspended for a bit. Do it quickly. Let him do some reparations. Move on. Lessons learned.

The goons who want an instant exoneration are doing their racist homophobic sexist cause no good at all. And I say, come forth, apologists, and make fools of yourselves. I always like a laugh :lolol:

That said, racists, you are being very unfair to the lad by making him your martyr. Selfish, as always ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve seen them all.
They are clearly on the side of complete dickhead (at the time), rather than hateful racist IMO.

And the difference is? ???

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That made me laugh out loud. Give your head a wobble. It matters not who ambushed this cricketer with some nuts stored up for a chilly day. They were nuts :shrug:

And your position is made, loud and clear.

:lolol:

Here is your homework. Three steps of separation: The Queen and Adolph Hitler. It isn't difficult :thumbsup:

It is pathetic.

If this is where you and others are pointing all your attention to, you need to ****ing grow up and open your eyes a little wider!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is pathetic.

If this is where you and others are pointing all your attention to, you need to ****ing grow up and open your eyes a little wider!

I'm not pointing anything.

I'm commenting on your outrage. ???

Calm down, dear. Cricketer suspended for a bit for being a tit. Nothing to see here :shrug:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Whilst I partially agree with your comments, what he wrote when he was 18, and let’s not forget an adult, was wrong. The response to this therefore needs to include a punitive element. Otherwise other 18 year olds will think they can behave in a similar manner and get away with it.

Assuming we all start thinking like adults the minute we turn 18? I've been an adult in the eyes of the law for 30 years but only a fraction of that has been spent behaving like one....

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I gather another member of the team has been found to have posted racist comments, while they were under the age of 16. That narrows it down to about 5 members of the current team.

Aside from anything else, it really does raise serious questions about what the hell all the people at the ECB are doing to earn their salaries, given most (all?) of the younger members of this team will have come through the England youth set-up.

Edit: by "I gather", I mean it's reported here:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...to-have-posted-discriminatory-content-1265504

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Sorry, I read he was on tour with England when he last tweeted his ****wittery. It doesn't really matter whether he was or not (on tour with England). He was 19. Old enough to be a grandparent if he were from Croydon. He certainly wasn't over the rec, in short trousers, playing 'who won the war in 1964?' with a rosy-cheeked Das Reich at the time.

Apologies for my tetchiness. Not directed at you :thumbsup:

I'm a year older than Robinson, so perhaps I'm more inclined to feel those 8years that have passed than you are. I'll reserve any comment on his personality overall until after they've trawled through his character and thrown out the flotsam for us to look over. But I'm inclined to think you're allowing yourself some crossover between him and those people who obviously are racist themselves who have decided he's their latest cause celebre.

He was clearly an absolute tool to say the least. But the people (particularly those in government) who've latched onto this are absolute cretins. This time last year Johnson was saying tennis was fine to play while blithering on about cricket being dangerous because of the teas. Yet suddenly he's interested in this shit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A war involves two sides and that very much includes culture wars.

Robinson caught in the middle of everyone and is dog either condemning him or vice versa. He’s become a symbol to be attacked as if he was part way to being an 18th century slave trader.

When i was in the 6th form and uni young BRITISH young folk wrote and laughed about stuff in support of the NF, wanting politicians blown up or revelling in soldiers being blown up. Recently I’ve seen two entire cohorts at two schools warm to England First, Tommy Robinson and support him online. Just words from naive youngsters, at an age where people try to impress mates and piss off teachers. Two years later all forgotten, just a fad in developing minds.

I don’t think young folk should be condemned for online words, not deeds, beyond admonishment and education once found out .... if it was illegal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm a year older than Robinson, so perhaps I'm more inclined to feel those 8years that have passed than you are. I'll reserve any comment on his personality overall until after they've trawled through his character and thrown out the flotsam for us to look over. But I'm inclined to think you're allowing yourself some crossover between him and those people who obviously are racist themselves who have decided he's their latest cause celebre.

He was clearly an absolute tool to say the least. But the people (particularly those in government) who've latched onto this are absolute cretins. This time last year Johnson was saying tennis was fine to play while blithering on about cricket being dangerous because of the teas. Yet suddenly he's interested in this shit.

Indeed.

Your posts are very wise which means I was a bit surprised to learn you are not an old codger like most of the rest of us. Top work for having a well weldered and yet unrusted but seasoned upholstery of the mind tank :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here