Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver Norwood Signs!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
how much depth do we need in MF if Stephens isn't going ???

It's clear Ince and Holla are a long way from actual contention. Norwood and Sidwell are the proper back-ups for Stephens and Kayal. Hopefully means we can actually rest them occasionally without massively weakening the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know much about the guy but if Bournemouth, Burnley, Celtic and Hull have all shown an interest that would suggest he is potentially an excellent signing.

Thank Christ for some good news is my feeling :thumbsup:

I seem to be swimming against the tide given most of the reactions on this thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excellent signing, I don't share the negativity - stemming from Pilchard slipping through the net presumably - sure this isn't 'instead of', suspect this was 'as well as' - we're not going to get all of our targets given the competition but this upgrades our CM cover. Better than Ince, Holla and probably Towell and Kayal and Stephens can't play every game so this adds strength in depth and is an upgrade to the squad. Welcome Ollie.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Great signing, seen him quite a few times and stats wise he was in "who scored" team of the season for 2015/2016. If our midfield is Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Norwood to choose from im very happy. All very good and experienced. Still have Ince and Towel as well. Still need a CB and Striker tho.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
4-5-1 for away games then, best centre midfield 3 in the league.

Need a centre back and striker like nakki wells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good player. Those who don't think so should try actually watching the odd game instead of moaning. He strengthens the squad and gives a solid option that enables us to play 4-3-3 and gives us quality cover for the two midfield lads which with due respect to those we have currently wasn't there last season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Very happy with this signing. We struggled last season when either Stephens or Kayal were absent so glad we have strengthened. Plus it leaves a bigger pot to spend on a pacey goal hanger rather than an attacking midfielder

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't wait for BG to pop in and say:-

'I said about him weeks ago and everybody laughed, but what do I know'.

It won't be the same without it.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
5514-500h.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
From the Reading forums

Re: Could Oliver Norwood light up the Championship this season? by SCIAG » 03 Aug 2016 20:09
Lower West wrote:
Must have been watching a different player last season. Poor delivery at free kicks and corners. Endless fouls committed when backtracking.

I don't want to give the OP the oxygen of publicity, but you are not remembering accurately.

Norwood committed 1.1 fouls per match, the same as Williams. Tshibola and Quinn each committed 1.0 fouls per match.

The difference is that Norwood made far more successful tackles per match - 2.7, compared to 2 for Quinn, 1.4 for Williams, and 1.2 for Tshibola. i.e. he had fewer fouls per tackle than any of our other regular midfielders. Although of course, fouls don't necessarily need a tackle.

He was also our leading assister, with 8, and created 2.4 chances a match. Sure, I remember some bad deliveries, but over the course of the season he put in a lot of good balls.

(Interestingly, Kermogant was third with 5 assists, and second on chances created per match - I wasn't expecting that at all)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reading fans mixed opinions. Say he's got a great pass on him but slows it down and is a bit sideways. I'd imagine better than Dean Hammond though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here