Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oldham Athletic vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
the bbc tells me 1 shot on target. 1 goal. 1 more game out the way. JUAN sebastien veron to sign for us next season now i suspect

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
the bbc tells me 1 shot on target. 1 goal. 1 more game out the way. JUAN sebastien veron to sign for us next season now i suspect

We had a good shot on target at the end of the first half - keeper tipped it over the bar. I agree that we didn't have any others (apart from the goal) but we were almost there on at least 3 other occasions. When we scored I thought we played well to close it down - not helped by the ref who seemed to blow whenever one of theirs was hit by even as much as a feather.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Russ said that we played in a similar fashion to our display at MK Dongs. Was there really on 572 in the away section , Russ thought there was more but he was at the back with his bird.

There weren't many today that's for sure. We only had half of the stand behind the goal. Best entertainment was winding up the EDL knuckldraggers from Oldham in the other part of the stand, most of whom looked about 12 and were unable to cope with satire or irony.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Just back from game. We were a bit lucky to win - Oldham played better than us. El Abd and Painter played well in defence but Wood was very poor. Was disasppointing, and could have been disastrous, that we sat back after scoring and let them come at us - would rather have seen us playing in their half. We weren't really on our game today but battled out the win so we will all take that I'm sure.

lichfield seagulls

Sep 13, 2008
lichfield~by~the~sea
Just back from game. We were a bit lucky to win - Oldham played better than us. El Abd and Painter played well in defence but Wood was very poor. Was disasppointing, and could have been disastrous, that we sat back after scoring and let them come at us - would rather have seen us playing in their half. We weren't really on our game today but battled out the win so we will all take that I'm sure.

Just got back from the game thought the defence was solid, kish for me was not at his best, Murry ran after everything,Barnes top finish shame he got injuryed when he did. Also very impressed with there right back kieran lee(19)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We were pretty poor to be fair and I do wish we wouldn't sit deep to defend a lead.

Ankergren made two great saves in the first half and other than when he seemed to try to throw the ball in his own net in the second half he was excellent - plus the bonus of a collector's item at the end when he came out for a cross and caught it :)

Defence were generally excellent. Greer was immense in being captain cool and his positioning and passing were very good. El Abd got in his normal blocks and his upper body strength is immense. Calde had the best game I have seen him play in ages and Painter covered well against Morais as Oldham constantly put the ball out wide to the wings.

Midfield - Kish had his worst game in the stripes - a few good tackles but every pass seemed to go straight to an opponent - sorry to his fans. Bridcutt was non stop energy and couldn't fault his contribution. He has become one of the first names on the teamsheet and to watch him marking guys a foot taller than him at corners was worth watching the game for on its own. Sparrow made a couple of good runs but again couldn't get a pass to a target while Bennett, playing wider than sometimes, seemed to have too much to do just chasing the ball to have much time to do anything positive with it and caught the "can't pass to one of his own" disease from his teammates. Noone when he came on showed how desperately he needs a start or two while Dicker played well but by the time he settled to his game we were too much on the backfoot for him to change it. Still has to start on Tuesday surely as without him we had no passing game.
Wood up front did okay - had a couple of chances when he might have made something but couldn't control the ball (getting the general theme here?). Barnes came on and looked the part in terms of movement. Had he not been injured I would have backed him to score again against some pretty immobile hulks in their defence. Murray I've left until last because he deserves a special mention because I thought he was immense up front and in defence. Never stopped running, came close with a great opportunist effort. How anyone can call him lazy beggars belief. He ran and ran and ran and at the end he was on his knees.....and he was the first to applaud the fans!

Ref was awful - how he and his linos missed some of the blatant pushing I don't know - I guess there are different rules for the beautiful game as you go down the leagues -but Dickhead's (sorry Dickov's) claims for penalties for a foul (?) and a handball (?) looked pretty much wishful thinking and would have been more than harsh.

Take the result though even if we didn't entirely deserve it, and hope Barnes isn't out too long because we will miss him. Twisted ankle might not be a quick return though...

I make that 17 clean sheets in 35 games. Must be approaching some sort of club record surely?

Last edited:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Pretty good analysis Severnside, except I can't see how Wood did okay - he never once controlled the ball or found a teammate with a pass - hardly looked like an international player!! I have liked him in previous games and he certainly has a good shot in both feet, but today he wasn't at the races.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here