Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old hat maybe - but why no dedicated beer queues?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
PS: What is legal/safety reason that the game can't be shown on the concourse TVs ?

There probably is a legal reason, but personally I'm against anything that encourages even more people not to be in their seats at the start of the second half.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
We have one of these in the north stand, just assumed they were everywhere in the ground.

Unfortunately not, no pizza's either!
Altough the tv's are not secured away in horrible cabinets.
Also I noticed the etiquette for the gents is surprisingly more civilised in the North.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
PS: What is legal/safety reason that the game can't be shown on the concourse TVs ?

I have to say, I don't understand why this isn't shown in the five minutes after both kick off and half time. I can understand there are other times when you don't want the game shown in the concourse, but surely it would make sense when people are finishing off pints or still in a concessions queue.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
West Lower there is a dedicated (mobile) beer bar at the North Stand end - staffed by a really good bloke who actually lines up beers for half time. His problem is they always leave him on his own (at half time) so he has to pour/top up and take money at the same time - and they're not proactive in resupplying his Harveys. It is better than it was though imho.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Might I suggest that watching the game of football which you have paid a reasonable amount of money for is rather more important than consuming beer. The latter you can do any time. Very bad fan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Might I suggest that watching the game of football which you have paid a reasonable amount of money for is rather more important than consuming beer. The latter you can do any time. Very bad fan.
You have paid for the total matchday experience, including drinking beer when you want one within the ground regs, not just when the self-appointed beer police allow you.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
In 1901 club you tell your waiter what drink you want before you go out to the match and it's there waiting on your table when you get back... I assumed it was the same for all parts of the stadium...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You have paid for the total matchday experience, including drinking beer when you want one within the ground regs, not just when the self-appointed beer police allow you.

Yes, but is any fan with half a brain (who is REALLY interested in the match) going to continue standing in the beer queue when the game has restarted? I suggest it would be eminently sensible to abandon the quest for a beer, return to your seat, watch the 2nd half in its entirety, and then (if you must) have that beer after the game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, but is any fan with half a brain (who is REALLY interested in the match) going to continue standing in the beer queue when the game has restarted? I suggest it would be eminently sensible to abandon the quest for a beer, return to your seat, watch the 2nd half in its entirety, and then (if you must) have that beer after the game.
Well if you mean AFTER the game has restarted, then probably not. The Kiosk shutters will be slamming down quickly enough anyway.

What's not to like though about Express Beer(wine) queues, given that anything else can be taken back to your seats and consumed at leisure ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have to say, I don't understand why this isn't shown in the five minutes after both kick off and half time. I can understand there are other times when you don't want the game shown in the concourse, but surely it would make sense when people are finishing off pints or still in a concessions queue.

Bolton away a couple of years ago they showed the game in the concourse - the whole lot as far as I can tell. I know this because it was on when we wandered in just before half time, and as we were freezing our NUTS off we were in no hurry to go back outside for the start of the second half. So we just stood supping our beers watching the game on their TVs for a good 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half, before venturing back outside to our seats (and the game was still on the TVs when we left). So there's definitely no LAW against it, but whether we'd want a half empty stadium either side of half time is a moot point.

And yes. Coffee/tea/chocolate drinkers should have their own section completely away from the beerists. And I include PUBS that do coffee in that as well (The Victoria Bar on the pier, I'm pointing at YOU). There's nothing worse than rocking up to the bar to buy a couple of pints, and hearing some herbert in front of you go "uuuh yah, can I have uhhh, three skinny latte's, a mocha, a cappuccino and two expressos please" - meaning you're then STUCK there for the next 25 minutes while the barman FANNIES about with about two-dozen hissing stainless steel taps, switches, knobs and handles to knock up a couple of gobfulls of hot frothy crapola.

I bloody hate bars that do beer AND coffee, and putting that on the bloody Amex concourse bars is just about the perfect storm.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There's nothing worse than rocking up to the bar to buy a couple of pints, and hearing some herbert in front of you go "uuuh yah, can I have uhhh, three skinny latte's, a mocha, a cappuccino and two expressos please"

Totally unrealistic. It's 'can I GET'

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The number one queue problem at the AMEX is the catering companies blatant attempt to take cash over card, and their cash only queues. It's the 21st century. In this day and age it's ridiculous to expect everyone to always have enough cash with them. (Although I will admit, the AMEX has more than its fair share of cave men) The card queues are always twice the length and there are half as many of them. Go figure. Contactless and ApplePay etc are quicker than cash will ever be so they have absolutely no legitimate justification for it. Just take all forms of payment, on all tills.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

How bloody dare you suggest this :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I must admit I don't really understand the necessity to get a beer at half time - it was never an option at the Goldstone or Withdean. There are plenty of Northstanders who missed that Bobby goal on Saturday, Stockdale's penalty save last season and to top the lot there were many who missed all three goals v Palace on that great day.

Can a pint really replace those moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here