Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Old Firm to Premier League

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No basket case owners - that's the big challenge.

I think they've managed to lead the SPL with limited real investment. To really succeed they'd need to spend money and fast. Anyone selling to them would then be putting an extra nought on the sales figure.

It would be a massive step up for them.

Either way, I hope it doesn't happen - and I don't think it will. The EFL wouldn't accept it, and where would they go if relegated? Although the EFL could be bought, I'm sure.

I think it won't either. Too many obstacles eg English/Welsh clubs that flit between the top two divisions won't vote for 2 big clubs to join the pyramid.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
A 'Britain-wide' pyramid? With a system whereby a lowly Devon club could end up having to play midweek in Fife? Come on, that's never going to happen. Clubs couldn't afford those sort of travel bills. Can we not just put this, Celtic-Rangers nonsense to bed. I would hate them being in our league. If it happened I would throw the towel in and go and watch Worthing or Lewes

If it were to happen they would regionalise the lower tiers. as in the old Third north and south .

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Rangers are a loyalist, union supporting ( anti SNP institution ), and perhaps the only team with a picture of the Queen on the wall of their home dressing room, whereas Celtic actually fly the flag of the Irish Republic above their stadium.

I love that you say that in a way that suggests Celtic are the ones doing something strange out of the two.

theboybilly

If it were to happen they would regionalise the lower tiers. as in the old Third north and south .

Okay then - let's say that all Scottish and English teams form a combined pyramid with, as you suggest, regionalised divisions (Apart from the Premier Division, League or 'ship) It's all very well having an English cut-off around the Midlands and quite why at least League 1 and 2 haven't reverted to it I'll never know. But add Scotland and it becomes a whole new game. Let's move this Northern Region so it starts say, at Blackpool, Oldham, Rochdale, Bradford City and Hull... those sort of clubs.. I think that would be about right considering the sheer number of clubs below that line. Now consider the travelling problems, 3pm Saturday matches let alone night games. Those clubs could not afford these costs. It's a non-starter.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very happy for them to join but they should do so alongside the other clubs from their pyramid not just jump ship, plus should be made to start low down. Maybe League 2 if feeling generous.

If was me though I’d split League 2 into a north and south at the time of welcoming some clubs and same with the top National League. Maybe let the Scottish Prem in at that new League 2 level and Scottish Championship in at equivalent of National League Prem. Make a 3rd Sixth tier alongside NL North and South for the Scottish 1st and 2nd.

Prem
Champ
L1
L2 north and south
NLP north and south
NL north south and scots

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Rangers are a loyalist, union supporting ( anti SNP institution ), and perhaps the only team with a picture of the Queen on the wall of their home dressing room, whereas Celtic actually fly the flag of the Irish Republic above their stadium.

Celtic fans have previously defiled the Union, most notably at Arsenal, in a friendly, where they booed on Armed Forces Day - check it out !

Rangers have in recent times had friendlies with Sheffield Wednesday and others ( Wigan etc. where great rapport has been established. ) to the betterment of football generally !

So the police shouldn't be too concerned about Rangers at least,

You are having an actual laugh aren't you? When Rangers played in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final Manchester city centre was trashed. The local council said they have never before or since had to hose-down so much human excretia on their streets. 39 policemen were injured and although only 40 arrests were made this was because the Police were so overwhelmed. Oh but it's lovely that all those foreign players have a nice picture of the Queen on the wall.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I agree with you. I don’t think they should be involved either, but it’s too late now.

Silly thing to say. There was no Welsh league when they were formed. Both have been in the English league for 100 years.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I really couldn’t care less if any of the Welsh clubs left our football league.

Hmm. That's not what you said though is it? You said they shouldn't be in it! The reality is they had no choice as there wasn't a Welsh league 100 years ago. They're a welcome part of football league history.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Do people genuinely think the Rangers/Celtic would survive in the Prem? Saying nothing about the rest of the Scottish teams.

I get that they have awesome support, and long term they might be a force, but they have to survive first and they will have one window and one years worth of money to get a loan against. Surely that isn’t anywhere near enough time / money to get them competitive squads, based on what they have now?

Obviously depends on how well the bottom 14 / promoted teams do. Also doesn’t take into account that I haven’t seen much Scottish football, so they could have top-end Championship already!

It depends upon where they would / might start but I suppose you could look at their history in Europe before writing them off as potential challengers.

However with access to Sky, BT etc. money they would be up there challenging given their 40,000 / 50,000 season ticket holders and sponsorship.

In addition, any club wherever with access to similar rewards/funding would probably do pretty well.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They can keep all their sectarian trash, marching fans, bullets in the post and cram it. Thats the last thing we need introduced to the PL, or any other division in England. They would be absolutely INSUFFERABLE.

Thanks anyway.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A little sanctimonious, again

No, he's right and you're wrong. Aside from anything else English nationalism won't 'kill the UK' as apart from some inchoate rantings it doesn't really exist - certainly not as a separate political force to rival the other national parties in Britain. English indifference to the fate of UK might aid it's breakup though, but that doesn't sound as dramatic as 'killing'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here