Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Old Firm to Premier League

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But Celtic and Rangers aren’t in our country...?

I don’t see why it’s our job to accommodate them. They have their own national league, why can’t they improve that. They’re jealous and what a piece of the Premier League, let’s be honest.

Swansea and Cardiff aren't either.

I'm not in favour btw. Just saying.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have no issue if Celtic and Rangers were to join the EFL. No different to Swansea, Cardiff or Newport IMO. What I would take issue with however is if they were given two spots in the PL at the expense of Championship sides. If their inclusion is to happen, it would need careful planning and should be done on merit, not history. So put them in the Championship and see if they can get promoted like everyone else.

But where do you start? Put them in The Championship and you would rightly have clubs in League One complaining.

If this were to happen, then to be absolutely fair they have to start at the bottom of the EFL pyramid, surely.

Will they want to start in League Two?Probably not, although it might bring back some recent fond memories for some Rangers fans.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
But where do you start? Put them in The Championship and you would rightly have clubs in League One complaining.

If this were to happen, then to be absolutely fair they have to start at the bottom of the EFL pyramid, surely.

Will they want to start in League Two?Probably not, although it might bring back some recent fond memories for some Rangers fans.

I couldn’t agree more and that’s why I’m saying it would need careful planning to ensure that it didn’t screw up promotion/ relegation from each league in the pyramid and that no team missed out a place in a league that they’ve earned.

I can only see it happening if they (Celtic and Rangers) were offered a spot on either the PL or Championship, and even that’s a push.

Probably more bother than it’s worth tbh :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh - hell - no - that is like putting Celtic and Rangers into a British Super League.

From my understanding of the rules it is not possible - it would breach FIFA's rules about national federations and leagues. Before Wimbledon were franchised out to MK there was talk of them moving to Dublin and FIFA blocked it before the FA even discussed it. Similarly, there has been more than one attempt to set up and all-Ireland league but again FIFA blocked it and said that the FAI and IFA would have to merge to make it happen. Derry City do play in the LOI - but that is a direct result of the sectarian conflict in the North - clubs based in Protestant communities refused to play in the Brandywell and Derry City folded until a phoenix club was allowed enter the LOI in 1985 after the IFA and FIFA agreed.

A u-turn by UEFA in 2016 paved the way, they ended their policy of the primacy of national associations.

Hence the new Belgium-Dutch League.

1C9FD9BA-1324-4B2F-9D95-F3A00DA911D6.png
73A0D598-B1F9-4E0C-8158-AE2184605A96.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I saw David Moyes touting this the other day too. His suggestion was a 2-tier Premier League, with Celtic and Rangers joining the 2nd tier. I think he also suggested the other clubs could become part of a Britain-wide pyramid.

This is not the Rangers and Celtic of the 60s and 70s, this is two sides made up of Championship standard players, and what Scottish players there are would be cut down to one or two per team if they joined the Prem.

They'd become just another former giant, and we've already got those in Sunderland, Forest, Sheff Wed.

I think it would have been an exciting proposition 20 years ago but both have been mediocre for a decade or more.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

If only the Old Firm were wanted then whichever division in which they were placed could be expanded by 2 places. That way none of the English clubs below lose promotion places. If the entire league pyramids were to be merged there could be 1 season of regional Scottish football followed by incorporation into the National pyramid.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If this ever did go ahead, which it almost certainly won't, what right do rangers or Celtic have to join a league above the other 72 clubs that have earned their places?
Ridiculous idea that I hope meets strong opposition if it's ever taken seriously.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
This is not the Rangers and Celtic of the 60s and 70s, this is two sides made up of Championship standard players, and what Scottish players there are would be cut down to one or two per team if they joined the Prem.

They'd become just another former giant, and we've already got those in Sunderland, Forest, Sheff Wed.

I think it would have been an exciting proposition 20 years ago but both have been mediocre for a decade or more.

I believe under this plan they'd be allowed to spend some of their money on new players to improve their squads.

I don't support the plan but the size of Celtic and Rangers (in terms of matchday attendances, support in Glasgow and then nationally/internationally) is not remotely comparable to the clubs you've just mentioned.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
But Celtic and Rangers aren’t in our country...?

I don’t see why it’s our job to accommodate them. They have their own national league, why can’t they improve that. They’re jealous and want a piece of the Premier League, let’s be honest.

I'm comfortable with the idea of football being organised on a British basis rather than split between the 3 nations.

You and plenty of other people clearly disagree.

I note that you deliberately omitted the next sentence of my post stating that I'm against Celtic and Rangers being included in the English system.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I saw David Moyes touting this the other day too. His suggestion was a 2-tier Premier League, with Celtic and Rangers joining the 2nd tier. I think he also suggested the other clubs could become part of a Britain-wide pyramid.

I take it Moyes was against the Super League .. i.e. 'big clubs' ****ing off to richer climes and leaving those behind in a financially impoverished league. He needs to take a long hard look in the mirror (actually, that might be a bit too cruel).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the only people who want this are the press, as a story to run. Celtic and Rangers dont want it, miss out on virtual automatic European football, leave Scottish Football Association. English clubs dont want it. FA wont let them jump the leagues straight to EPL. never going to happen.

Indeed.

And it would take several seasons for them to learn that assault is not a technical manouvre.

I can see them having so many points deducted for unsporting conduct and general thuggery they would be relegated to below the conference.

And as my son said to me 20 years ago 'if you get relegated from the conference do you have to play in the scottish premier league?'.

He actually did ask me that :laugh::bowdown:

The entitled grutsmunching*****.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I take it Moyes was against the Super League .. i.e. 'big clubs' ****ing off to richer climes and leaving those behind in a financially impoverished league. He needs to take a long hard look in the mirror (actually, that might be a bit too cruel).

If he did, this is what he'd see....

begbie.png

and this...

Robert-Carlyle.jpg

and of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZyNLZZjMs

Don't **** with Moysie ???

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If this ever did go ahead, which it almost certainly won't, what right do rangers or Celtic have to join a league above the other 72 clubs that have earned their places?
Ridiculous idea that I hope meets strong opposition if it's ever taken seriously.

I suppose a full merger of all teams would mean that we'd be joining theirs as much as they would be joining ours.

Logistical nightmare though

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't actually think it's a terrible idea but it can't be just Rangers and Celtic. It would have to be all 42 Scottish teams. Otherwise we're no better than the ESL teams. Majority of clubs north and south of the border would have to consent

So for example the 12 Scottish teams could join the PL. For the first season there could be 32 teams playing each other once and the bottom 12 get relegated (at least 10 Scottish teams of course but at least they have the chance).

Exactly the same principle would apply to the Champ and Scot Div 1.

You'd have to keep having large numbers of relegation places until the the teams find their standard, probably in about 5 years.

And we'd be going through this hassle solely because I fancy watching us away at Ibrox

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'd love to see it, always have, but it will never happen.

Bet the police wouldn't want it. Not an anti Scottish statement, I love Scotland, but Rangers and Celtic have such vast followings, legions would turn up in cities for weekend games just for the craic. ( That is Irish terminology ) !

Rangers did this when there were friendlies with Sheffield Wednesday south of the border with NO problems of social disorder.
Rangers are a loyalist, union supporting ( anti SNP institution ), and perhaps the only team with a picture of the Queen on the wall of their home dressing room, whereas Celtic actually fly the flag of the Irish Republic above their stadium.

Celtic fans have previously defiled the Union, most notably at Arsenal, in a friendly, where they booed on Armed Forces Day - check it out !

Rangers have in recent times had friendlies with Sheffield Wednesday and others ( Wigan etc. where great rapport has been established. ) to the betterment of football generally !

So the police shouldn't be too concerned about Rangers at least,

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here