Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just caught up with this thread.
Reminded me of my Grandad, Ernie Johnstone’s miniature coaches at Peter Pan’s Playground.
I’m pretty sure the chap in the photo in the attached article is my uncle Ernie with his 2 children.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That's an amazing photo! What a bizarre place.

Attachments

• 1670440412184.png
    1670440412184.png
    492.7 KB · Views: 47

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Just caught up with this thread.
Reminded me of my Grandad, Ernie Johnstone’s miniature coaches at Peter Pan’s Playground.
I’m pretty sure the chap in the photo in the attached article is my uncle Ernie with his 2 children.

I do remember going on that in Peter Pan's Playground.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's an amazing photo! What a bizarre place.
Yeah, what is that place? It looks like a massive hoarding, all you can see are billboards but not windows, however there's a door in the middle of it.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Was it Pickford's depository? I can remember them having an office near the station end of Queen's Road. I remember as a child seeing toy removal vans in the window.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I miss the question marks. Made me laugh every time 🙂
I do not.
Like a needle in my eye every time I opened the thread.
Serious point though (which may have been answered previously on here but I'm not trawling through 549 posts to see if I've missed it), why were the old photos taken? I know we think they're interesting now, but why did somebody think a lamppost on Western Road need recording for posterity?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I do not.
Like a needle in my eye every time I opened the thread.
Serious point though (which may have been answered previously on here but I'm not trawling through 549 posts to see if I've missed it), why were the old photos taken? I know we think they're interesting now, but why did somebody think a lamppost on Western Road need recording for posterity?
It's probably because it's a Fire Station?

🚒

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's probably because it's a Fire Station?
Not more bloody question marks :lolol:
Fair point, that wasn't immediately apparent looking at it on my phone.
Still not obvious why somebody decided to take the photo though, did somebody go around photographing all the fire stations in the Brighton / the country?
As a general query though, some of these do just appear to be "a road" that somebody decided to take a photo of. But that wouldn't have been a snap decision, there must have been some focus to it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here