Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
New England Road?

NER1.jpg

NER2.jpg

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Good ones, PotG... I like New England Road with the tram lines and horse drawn cart... The signs are always interesting, I noticed they were a coffee house rather than a tea room as you might expect for those times.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Awesome pictures, but the 1990s looks like the 1950s.
I think she must have been deliberately seeking out a bit of dilapidation - maybe for some project or other. But yes, I hadn't realised quite how run down parts of central Brighton were at the time when I was roaming the streets all the time there.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I think she must have been deliberately seeking out a bit of dilapidation - maybe for some project or other. But yes, I hadn't realised quite how run down parts of central Brighton were at the time when I was roaming the streets all the time there.
I used to flypost Brighton a lot in the 90s for the Anti-Nazi League and gigs etc. There was always an endless supply of boarded up shop fronts, many remained so for what seemed like a decade.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I used to flypost Brighton a lot in the 90s for the Anti-Nazi League and gigs etc. There was always an endless supply of boarded up shop fronts, many remained so for what seemed like a decade.
I just popped into Shoreham-by-Sea town and it struck me that the old main post office and Lloyds Bank building next to it have been empty for YEARS. Crazy how you just get used to it. I can't see anything happening with them anytime soon either, which is sad and a bit bonkers.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I just popped into Shoreham-by-Sea town and it struck me that the old main post office and Lloyds Bank building next to it have been empty for YEARS. Crazy how you just get used to it. I can't see anything happening with them anytime soon either, which is sad and a bit bonkers.
I remember going in that Lloyds with my granddad and the woman behind the counter said "Hello Mr Deverell, do you have any ID?". Also once queued in that post office behind Arthur Lowe!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I was hoping that it would become a Wetherspoons

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I remember going in that Lloyds with my granddad and the woman behind the counter said "Hello Mr Deverell, do you have any ID?". Also once queued in that post office behind Arthur Lowe!
Chris O'Grady was in front of me one of the last times I went in there...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not a postcard but an old photo I just came across.

J W Waldron's Smith & Bicycle Works in Brighton, England. c. 1900.

I suspect it's a few years earlier than 1900 though given the cycles in the photo. More like c. 1880s

Found this small bit on them:

"Waldron’s occupied the ramshackle building on Gardner Street from 1874-1903. They had a steep ladder leading to the upper floors where penny farthings were stored"

315098550_2284631168380214_4946007144720766912_n.jpg

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst not a fan of driving games, I remember a mates husband had worked on the program of mapping out London for the game - an early Google Street view. I'd love to see an Edwardian version of Brighton created from all these pictures.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not so sure. Those three crests below the eyeglasses are City of London crests. You can just about make out the wording on one of them. The sign at the bottom right says The Strand, London....
but having said that I've just checked and Pressleys in the modern photo are at number 27, the same number featured in the Bateman's pic, so possibly the London references are to the location of their head office or main shop
20221203_104605.jpg

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here