Old Albion Squad Photos - please me help name the players!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You should checkout [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] s programme website, bound to have that sort of info

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And the last one for now, from 1972/73...

1972-73.jpg

Again, please help name those in the shot. Much appreciated if you can. Looks like Hove Park!

By the way, if anyone ever comes across colour squad photos of the Albion from 1974/75 and 1986/87 (the one with Barry Lloyd in charge, not the Alan Mullery pre-season one) please let me know....

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
?. kit napier, stewart henderson, ? , Brian Bromley, Brian Powney, Eddie Speartt, John Templeman, John Napier
Mike Yaxley, Bert Murray, ? Lunt?, Pat Saward, Ken Beamish, ?, Peter O’Sullivan, ?
?,?, ?, ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks, that's really helpful, actually.

Ian Goodwin. Kit Napier, Stewart Henderson, Alan Dovey, Brian Bromley, Brian Powney, Eddie Speartt, John Templeman, John Napier
Mike Yaxley, Bert Murray, Norman Gall, Willie Irvine, Pat Saward, Ken Beamish, Bertie Lutton, Peter O’Sullivan, Ray Crawford
?,?, ?, ?

Looks like Ray Crawford, a few years after his exploits for Colchester against Leeds in the FA Cup

Crawford%20Ray.jpg

Last edited:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
And the last one for now, from 1972/73...

1972-73.jpg

Again, please help name those in the shot. Much appreciated if you can. Looks like Hove Park!

By the way, if anyone ever comes across colour squad photos of the Albion from 1974/75 and 1986/87 (the one with Barry Lloyd in charge, not the Alan Mullery pre-season one) please let me know....

Goodwin, Napier K, Henderson, Dovey, Bromley, Powney,Spearitt, Templeman, Napier J,

Murray, Gall, Irvine, Beamish, Lutton, O'Sullivan,

Steve Piper, not known, Alan Boorn, not known.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thanks, that's really helpful, actually.

Ian Goodwin. Kit Napier, Stewart Henderson, Alan Dovey, Brian Bromley, Brian Powney, Eddie Speartt, John Templeman, John Napier
Mike Yaxley, Bert Murray, Norman Gall, Willie Irvine, Pat Saward, Ken Beamish, Bertie Lutton, Peter O’Sullivan, Ray Crawford
?,?, ?, ?

Looks like Ray Crawford, a few years after his exploits for Colchester against Leeds in the FA Cup

Crawford%20Ray.jpg

I reckon your gaps are: Steve Piper, Tommy Armstrong, Alan Boorn and Steve Breach according to the 1972/3 squad photo

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I reckon your gaps are: Steve Piper, Tommy Armstrong, Alan Boorn and Steve Breach according to the 1972/3 squad photo

I think I will go with those ones. I went with Breach as his centre-parting is in both and he's already in the stripes, as opposed to Sopp, although I agree it looks quite a lot like Sopp too. Thanks, catfish, for making me study the grainy pic a bit closer.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
That old Albion squad photo from the late 60's has brought back good memories
Although before my time I remember having a Brighton team puzzle from the similar era (squad picture being in front of the stand behind the goal)
I'm sure the puzzle came in a round tin and I remember loving that puzzle

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think I will go with those ones. I went with Breach as his centre-parting is in both and he's already in the stripes, as opposed to Sopp, although I agree it looks quite a lot like Sopp too. Thanks, catfish, for making me study the grainy pic a bit closer.

I'm pretty certain that the front right person is my cousin, Steve Breach, who went on to become a legend at Crawley Town :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That old Albion squad photo from the late 60's has brought back good memories
Although before my time I remember having a Brighton team puzzle from the similar era (squad picture being in front of the stand behind the goal)
I'm sure the puzzle came in a round tin and I remember loving that puzzle

Ahhh, I'm guessing you're referring this classic from 1967-68...

P4611973.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Towner was taken on as an apprentice in December 1970 and made his debut in February 1973. He looks a bit like the player sitting down on the far left in the 1972/73 photo, and then gradually looked more like the player next to him as the years progressed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports