Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear. Now I feel sorry for Sami.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are still not getting players into the box when we go forward, i lost count of the number of times we were in possession out wide around the opposition penalty area and the only Albion player in their entire penalty area was Bent, no-one was trying to get in there to offer support and as they came forward, they chose to go out wide too so we'd end up with 4 players in a small area between the touchline and penalty area and still only one in the box so even if we had been in a position to create a cross, there was no-one to get on the end of it (except Bent and he had 4 defenders in the box to try to stop it reaching him)

Why, when losing do you swap like for like rather than throw more attacking players on? (Colunga on for March and McCourt on for E Bennett rather than take a deeper lying MF off instead?) or against Fulham? (Attacking winger Lua Lua off injured after we have been pinning them back and bring on Defensive midfielder Ince?)

We have experienced central midfielders but are playing 2 relatively inexperienced players there instead, and they have yet to control the MF during a game when playing together)

Oh and Squad rotation - does he even know his best XI?

These are all areas the manager controls and he has failed to react and change this as it has been shown not to be working (only 3 wins all season)

Tut tut tut. No one's going to go to the games if they come on to NSC and read negative posts like that. (Wasn't that one of your arguments a few months ago? Apologies if I've confused you with someone else).

But yes, agreed.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Can't believe Gardner has to start
Captain not available? The vice captain is and was. He decided to play a chancer instead
Light weight midfield, his choice
Inspirational midfielder his choice

Gardner starting is out of the managers hands, that came with loan deal negotiated by Burke. I agree he is very poor and would not warrant a pace in any team I selected, but his selection is not down to Sami. Who are our heavy eight midfielders, we have a squad of lightweight midfielders, who selected them oh that'll be Burke. Inspirational midfield, I think the players in our squad have reached their limit of ability, how many did Sami select when loaning or purchasing them?

We miss Greer at the back, there is no doubt, yes he is in his 30s but he is solid and has been let down by some poor goalkeeping this year.

Can you name a heavy weight midfielder in our squad, can you name an inspirational midfielder in our squad. they have had twenty games to emerge and show themselves and I can't see them. I'm afraid that we have a neutral, ineffective midfield and a loan striker and light weight Colunga as strikers. Is there any wonder we are where we are, don't let Sami take the flack for the disastrous policies followed by the executive, the blame/responsibility for our current performance on the field lies with those who made the decisions off the field. The executive Barber , Burke et al should hang their heads in shame for what they have managed to dismantle this season.

I was Sami out, but him going won't make any difference, the players are not good enough collectively and that's our problem.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Watched the game last night - shapeless. Then wearing my hairshirt saw bits again when watched it on Sky

Keith Andrews was interesting speaking before the game started. His view was potential PL set up and ambition but lack of stability with three managers in three seasons

Regardless of Sami's ability the fact that none of the outfield close season signings was in the starting line up speaks volumes for the hand he has been dealt

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Look at his treatment of Ince, Holla and Toko. Three defensive midfielders, none of whom can make a side with a five man midfield. My seven year old has a better understanding of tactics

Look at his treatment of Walton...had done really well letting in a goal a game and we weren't losing. Puts in Stockdale and he lets in 2,2 & 3 and we ARE losing every game & yet keeps his place for last night.
This simple decision undermines the confidence of the whole team thinking they will be dropped at the drop of a hat and highlights SH inability to be a football team MANAGER

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Look at his treatment of Walton...had done really well letting in a goal a game and we weren't losing. Puts in Stockdale and he lets in 2,2 & 3 and we ARE losing every game & yet keeps his place for last night.
This simple decision undermines the confidence of the whole team thinking they will be dropped at the drop of a hat and highlights SH inability to be a football team MANAGER

I said at the time, Walton shouldn't be dropped. A manager with courage and conviction would play players based on performances not based on their reputations.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Totally untenable but I actually feel sympathy for him now. He''s been screwed by David Burke and with an old head alongside him he might have got more out of this squad.

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington
Looked thoroughly miserable throughout the match.
Sounded very down (I know, how can you tell!) after the match.
Ignored by the players during the Millwall keeper injury break.
Fans shouting for his head in between fighting amongst themselves.
Beaten by a poor Millwall side to worsen our position.
Screwed by the club after he made clear when he signed that he needed an experienced No 2.
Screwed again by the club making poor signings to replace departees.
Screwed again by the club bringing in a load of loan signings.
Screwed again by the club over signing Steven Ward.
Screwed by the suits who have clamped the club down too hard over ffp.

I keep trudging out to the Amex because it's my club. I enjoy the social side, the pies, the event etc, but the footballing side is a repetitive loop of a non event. Earlier in the season we seemed to have many fans who craved entertaining football over wins. Now the entertainment has gone the way of the wins, the attendance tonight plumetted. So no wins, no entertainment, no expectations and dwindling support. All replaced by apathy.

Nonetheless, Sami looked utterly beaten by the burden of the job and, despite being a fan for half a century, I still can't bring myself to want him to go. The man needs an experienced number two.

agreed

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I agree the club must carry a significant portion of the blame for our predicament but Sammi is the one picking the team right? BHA managers are still allowed to do that without board interference right? He must go, I believe we should be in a better position despite the mess behind the scenes.

Unproven new manager who is clearly not up to the job. Zero improvement. Gamble failed.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I find myself having similar feelings, despite questioning his emotions in the past. The team was set s good as it could be tonight and played with endeavour and enthusiasm, but simply some of the players are just not good enough and choices and options taken by individuals were poor. On a player level Sami was not responsible for:

I really don't know what game you were watching. We didn't play with endevour or enthusiasm, especially in the second half. Millwall were an awful team, to lose to them was a disgrace. The team selection was wrong. Was the central midfield yesterday supposed to be a practical joke? We knew Millwall were going to be physical so we needed at least one presence in central midfield. As soon as I saw the side he picked yesterday I knew we were in trouble.

Our squad lacks natural leaders, which is why it is more important that the manager provides clear guidance. The talent is there but too many players are not being used properly and look like they don't believe in/ don't know the plan.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I wouldn't feel to sorry for him. Half a million pounds a year and a tidy settlement coming his way, for doing a shite job. He won't be penny pinching this Christmas like some of the people that contribute towards his wages each week.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Exactly. A mate said to me last night that the players don't seem to be fighting for their places in their side, but why would they when:

- Walton comes in, does well, dropped ASAP for Stockdale
- Ince repeatedly dropped after MOTM appearances
- Holla and Ince repeatedly replacing each other at the start of the season regardless of performance
- JFC and Gardner repeatedly offer nothing but are the first names on the teamsheet
- Collunga does not go straight back into the side (given Norwich and Fulham)
- Paddy never starts despite consistently showing promise
- The kamikaze Derby midfield gets another go

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm sad all over. :(

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I really don't know what game you were watching. We didn't play with endevour or enthusiasm, especially in the second half. Millwall were an awful team, to lose to them was a disgrace. The team selection was wrong. Was the central midfield yesterday supposed to be a practical joke? We knew Millwall were going to be physical so we needed at least one presence in central midfield. As soon as I saw the side he picked yesterday I knew we were in trouble.

Our squad lacks natural leaders, which is why it is more important that the manager provides clear guidance. The talent is there but too many players are not being used properly and look like they don't believe in/ don't know the plan.

I couldn't disagree more with you, where is the talent in the midfield in our squad? What lie up would you choose that hasn't already been tried. Talent shines through whatever system is being played. We could have scored three or four last night, that's down to the players, those who brought those players to the club and not the manager.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I couldn't disagree more with you, where is the talent in the midfield in our squad? What lie up would you choose that hasn't already been tried. Talent shines through whatever system is being played. We could have scored three or four last night, that's down to the players, those who brought those players to the club and not the manager.

I would have played Holla or Ince to lie deep, JFC is not a deep lying midfielder. We were so open in the first 20 minutes, yes we had chances but a poor Millwall side got behind us at will early on.

Once they scored, they showed no further desire to score. By being open early on, we totally played into the hands of a side that was looking to nick a goal and then shut up shop. Unbelievably naive.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
eh, id take him

Feel sorry for the guy who basically plays the same team week in week out despite winning like 1 in 17?

JFC and Gardner would not even make my development squad!

I'm not questioning your judgement at all, you see them play more than I, but JFC looks a completely different player for the England U21s.

He is a good player in my view, what is the manager doing to him at the Albion

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Looked thoroughly miserable throughout the match.
Sounded very down (I know, how can you tell!) after the match.
Ignored by the players during the Millwall keeper injury break.... That is his job.... make them listen
Fans shouting for his head in between fighting amongst themselves..... That is due to the teams performance.... he is the manager
Beaten by a poor Millwall side to worsen our position...... Poor tactics and motivation..... he is the manager
Screwed by the club after he made clear when he signed that he needed an experienced No 2...... eeerrrr put your foot down and demand one, another example of a lack of communication and leadership
Screwed again by the club making poor signings to replace departees...... Not really, who is to say a better manager would have got more out of them, we may never know
Screwed again by the club bringing in a load of loan signings..... really are you sure none of them were his requests....
Screwed again by the club over signing Steven Ward...... So the agent had nothing to do with playing us of against other possible teams interested in him
Screwed by the suits who have clamped the club down too hard over ffp...... Tooooo hard are you sure, The long term future of the club is paramount to any manager and do you want to do a Portsmout or have a massive fine ??? Did we invent FFP ??? NO WE DID NOT

Im sorry Super Steve Earle.....

It us that have been screwed as we thought we would have a manager that could at least build something in his first season............

Sami screwed my arse............. :blush:

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
I wouldn't feel to sorry for him. Half a million pounds a year and a tidy settlement coming his way, for doing a shite job. He won't be penny pinching this Christmas like some of the people that contribute towards his wages each week.

Bang on ,the man is so ****ing dull mr monotone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here