Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OG's Starting Eleven

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
That's not actually true is it. Bridge was at fault for the first and Greer for the second.

Well defensively for most of the match we were relatively poor, I never said he was at fault for the goals... Wayne was on another planet in terms of quality. And why did Palace send Zaha over to Calderon in the second match, if Palace can figure out a teams weakness then the likes of Reading and QPR will have field days against him

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Granted Calderon is a club idol at the minute, however, he got found out against Palace, Zaha tore him a new ass hole. I've seen many good fullbacks in my time and I recognise a tactically and defensively inept player when I see one. There must be better options out there for us?

I agree that Calde looked suspect and a little nervous against Zaha in both home games against Palace that I saw. But, he will be playing in the Champions League next season more than likely, and I can't remember Calde being in too much trouble against anyone else at Championship level. I've said it before but I think he's a more reliable option than Bruno at right back.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Granted Calderon is a club idol at the minute, however, he got found out against Palace, Zaha tore him a new ass hole. I've seen many good fullbacks in my time and I recognise a tactically and defensively inept player when I see one. There must be better options out there for us?

I actually agree with the point that he possibly isn't the answer at fullback (whether it be left or right), but to say he got taken apart by Zaha is way off the mark.
Will certainly do a job on either side when called upon.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Well defensively for most of the match we were relatively poor, I never said he was at fault for the goals... Wayne was on another planet in terms of quality. And why did Palace send Zaha over to Calderon in the second match, if Palace can figure out a teams weakness then the likes of Reading and QPR will have field days against him

Zaha is worth 15 m and played his best game of the season . One off in our league

Calde is fine

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Why does bringing them all on as subs in as friendly indicate they're in his starting eleven?

Agree, baffling logic. I'd like to think he has at least 14/15 that he considers good enough for starting XI switching on rotation/tactically depending on opposition

Because you'd want to see less of the people you were confident of, and more of people who you still had questions over. Plus, you'd think that a stronger side would be fielded against Villareal than against Crawley - for a better idea of the starting 11 going into Leeds away.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think Chicksen will start at left back against Leeds. My theory is that Oscar will want to get an early look at him in a 'live' situation before the window closes and from early appearances decide whether he needs more time to adjust to the Championship or whether he is 'go' from the off.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I suspect Crofts and Calderon at LB are the most likely to be affected by new signings.

LuaLua for Barnes is the only other change that's likely.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
To get it finished early? World Cup next summer.

The world cup starts on 12th June which is roughly its usual start date. The premier league is starting on the 17th which is also when it usually starts, I think. There's not normally two weeks between the football league starting and the premier, is there? It seems strange that the championship would start earlier than usual because of the world cup when the premier league isn't.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Chicksen will start at left back against Leeds. My theory is that Oscar will want to get an early look at him in a 'live' situation before the window closes and from early appearances decide whether he needs more time to adjust to the Championship or whether he is 'go' from the off.

This is what friendlies against decent opposition are for. You can't mess around in the league, particularly when you're playing one of the top half teams who might contend.

If Chicksen starts then Oscar will obviously rate him as a better bet than Calde at LB.

Anyway - why complicate matters? At worst he's been brought in to replace Painter, and seeing as we don't have another left-back it would make sense to start him. Starting Calde at LB will only knock Chicksen's confidence.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because you'd want to see less of the people you were confident of, and more of people who you still had questions over. Plus, you'd think that a stronger side would be fielded against Villareal than against Crawley - for a better idea of the starting 11 going into Leeds away.

So ankergren is our starting keeper, and Richards plays ahead of march and Barnes?

It's a preseason friendly. Sometimes you give lesser time to those who aren't as good because they're not going to feature much so you don't need to look at them, sometimes you give the person on pitch more time to improve their fitness so they're to jumping from 45 minute games to 90 minute games.

I fully expect bridcutt, ulloa, orlandi etc to start because they are stronger players, not because in our fourth of 6 friendlies they got less time than others.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We know how good LuaLua looks against League One sides - he was phenomenal in League One. He is generally nowhere near as effective in the Championship. Really hope for a better season for him this season though.

I saw 2 games last year in which KLL started - Watford and Wolves at home - and he was our best player in both. I wasn't fortunate enough to be at the 3-0 win against Palace, but he started that game and was, by all accounts, excellent again. I think he needs a chance to shine, not the 15-20 minute cameos that Gus was giving him for most of last season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I saw 2 games last year in which KLL started - Watford and Wolves at home - and he was our best player in both. I wasn't fortunate enough to be at the 3-0 win against Palace, but he started that game and was, by all accounts, excellent again. I think he needs a chance to shine, not the 15-20 minute cameos that Gus was giving him for most of last season.

There have been countless games in the Championship that he has started and - up against a quality fullback - been completely impotent. He's very, very variable.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I agree that Calde looked suspect and a little nervous against Zaha in both home games against Palace that I saw. But, he will be playing in the Champions League next season more than likely, and I can't remember Calde being in too much trouble against anyone else at Championship level. I've said it before but I think he's a more reliable option than Bruno at right back.

Chopra ???

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There have been countless games in the Championship that he has started and - up against a quality fullback - been completely impotent. He's very, very variable.

Fair enough. I only went to 10 games last season so I must have seen the best of him; maybe he's just inspired by my presence.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Watford at home he was awful, and i was in the front row giving him and Spanish Dave words of encouragement. Dave seemed to take onboard what i was saying where as KLL, hopeless!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here