Votes: 91 82.0%
  • Not offside

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • It's impossible to tell

Votes: 17 15.3%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watching Soccer Saturday, Michael Dawson called it offside immediately, before VAR was called. Jeff Stelling & Neil Warnock watched the replays and agreed it was offside.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
Looking at that picture, the order back from the goal line is the white Albion boot, Martinelli’s right foot then then Sanchez and Cucurella. Only one Albion player between Martinelli and the goal line so offside.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously, from a technical and Albion point of view it's offside

But from a proper football point of view it's complete bollox isn't it :shrug:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Looking at that picture, the order back from the goal line is the white Albion boot, Martinelli’s right foot then then Sanchez and Cucurella. Only one Albion player between Martinelli and the goal line so offside.

Had not really realised this aspect of it. I was just trying to figure out Cucurella's postion. But would it have needed to be Sanchez AND Cucurella nearer the goal line in order for the goal to stand? Or at least in line..

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

Did the linesman give it or wait for VAR ?

I guess he waited otherwise Martinelli wouldnt have celebrated it

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did the linesman give it or wait for VAR ?

I guess he waited otherwise Martinelli wouldnt have celebrated it

I'm pretty sure the linesman gave it, and I can't see why he wouldn't if it took four minutes of a number of people using the best 21st century technology known to man (and the premier league) to prove it wasn't. Sorry :shrug:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I hadn’t seen this or any images but if that photo is timed right (ie when the ball was played), it’s clearly offside, no? Why so controversial?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair, we wouldn't be happy to have had a goal chalked out by so much fine margins

I am a man that was born before VAR though

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I thought that there were cameras everywhere - wouldn't they have on the other side of the pitch as well?

Yes, they did. There was a camera angle which, although not in line, clearly showed Cucurella's foot further from the goal than Sanchez.

Also, Piers Morgan had a meltdown on Twitter and posted a pic purporting to show he wasn't offside which proved he was. Lineker put him straight..

Last edited:

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I'm pretty sure the linesman gave it, and I can't see why he wouldn't if it took four minutes of a number of people using the best 21st century technology known to man (and the premier league) to prove it wasn't. Sorry :shrug:

I can. One of the men using the best 21st Century technology was in fact a woman - that lino with the ponytail. Has been to the Amex. Dreadful.

I'm surprised the decision was made at all. And even more so that it went in our favour.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Yes. None of us would have complained if it had stood with just a quick check. Indeed, I never even had a thought that it could possibly have been offside.

Still - hahaha!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Agree Pleased for Albion. However for footballs sake as soon as VAR sees it is so so close goal should be given and get on with game. About 30 secs.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London

The linesman stayed down by the corner flag which made me think he believed it was offside.

Very often they retreat to the position they will take up for a kickoff whilst the VAR check takes place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here