Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**Official Transfer Deadline Day Thread**

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would not be surprised to see departures today, but one or two of: Holroyd, Hart or Sandaza.

You're the second person to mention sandaza going (or maybe the same person posting it a second time). I'm wondering where this is coming from. He hasn't exactly been a disaster, he hasn't had much game time, but has managed four or five goals including one that won two points for us late on, and one that kept us in the FA cup, and one that made it more comfortable than it would have been when peterborough got one back at home.

His goals to game time ratio is better than any of our other strikers. He may not provide a lot of options tactically, but he has popped up with key goals and offers something off the bench.

Are there training/personal issues? If not I don't see him deserving of being grouped with Hart and Holroyd.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Your opinion versus Gus' opinion. He's a squad player who can play in a variety of positions and doesn't cost much. I've no idea whether he'll get another year but if he does, I doubt if it will be because Gus has been told to do it.

Which positions? As a striker who doesn't score? A winger who isn't quick enough to beat defenders? A midfielder who runs around in circles trying to tackle? I could play in several positions, but it doesn't mean I'd be any good at them.

Look, Hart has been a great little player in his time,and I accept he's the one remaining link with the really shit, Gillingham era, but a few games under Slade apart, he has done nothing since about 2004, and he is the luckiest man in football to still have a contract. He offers less up front than Holroyd if we're honest with ourselves, but I don't see anyone suggesting we give Holroyd a run out at Falmer. I really, really don't dislike Hart as a bloke, I just can't see why he would get another playing contract that's all, unless it's for entirely sentimental reasons.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You're the second person to mention sandaza going (or maybe the same person posting it a second time). I'm wondering where this is coming from. He hasn't exactly been a disaster, he hasn't had much game time, but has managed four goals including one that won two points for us late on, and one that kept us in the FA cup, and one that made it more comfortable than it would have been when peterborough got one back at home.

His goals to game time ration is better than any of our other strikers. He may not provide a lot of options tactically, but he has popped up with key goals and offers something off the bench.

Are there training/personal issues? If not I don't see him deserving of being grouped with Hart and Holroyd.

He was reported (photographed) as having been invited over to Qatar for a look around last week (hence missing from the bench for one game) and a possible deal (presumably longer than the end of season one he has here) but was quoted as saying he still thinks he can earn another contract in England (which he would prefer)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Beattie and Lambert, would quite possibly be the least mobile strike pairing, in the history of proffessional football*

*Unless Claridge and Virgo ever started up front together for us...

Lee Trundle and Adebayo Akinfenwa up front for Swansea.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was reported (photographed) as having been invited over to Qatar for a look around last week (hence missing from the bench for one game) and a possible deal (presumably longer than the end of season one he has here) but was quoted as saying he still thinks he can earn another contract in England (which he would prefer)

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Sounds from that like he has turned down an offer and wants to stay and prove himself worthy of a contract more than it is likely he'd go, but it would explain why his name pops up as possibly going.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Which positions? As a striker who doesn't score? A winger who isn't quick enough to beat defenders? A midfielder who runs around in circles trying to tackle? I could play in several positions, but it doesn't mean I'd be any good at them.

Look, Hart has been a great little player in his time,and I accept he's the one remaining link with the really shit, Gillingham era, but a few games under Slade apart, he has done nothing since about 2004, and he is the luckiest man in football to still have a contract. He offers less up front than Holroyd if we're honest with ourselves, but I don't see anyone suggesting we give Holroyd a run out at Falmer. I really, really don't dislike Hart as a bloke, I just can't see why he would get another playing contract that's all, unless it's for entirely sentimental reasons.

sadly I agree with every word of that (even if I am a sentimental old sod!). A run out in one of the ramp-up games then retire gracefully as a coach or behind the scenes please

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Rubbish. Give him a contract through to Falmer. He's Brighton through and through and it'd be lovely to think he's the last man standing from the Goldstone days.

Hart was signed by Horton in 1998. He never played at the Goldstone.

Kerry Mayo was the most recent player to have played for us at the Goldstone.

Call yourself a fan?:D

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You're the second person to mention sandaza going (or maybe the same person posting it a second time). I'm wondering where this is coming from. He hasn't exactly been a disaster, he hasn't had much game time, but has managed four or five goals including one that won two points for us late on, and one that kept us in the FA cup, and one that made it more comfortable than it would have been when peterborough got one back at home.

His goals to game time ratio is better than any of our other strikers. He may not provide a lot of options tactically, but he has popped up with key goals and offers something off the bench.

this

this
Trundle is very aptly named.
and most definitely this

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
Rubbish. Give him a contract through to Falmer. He's Brighton through and through and it'd be lovely to think he's the last man standing from the Goldstone days.

did he play at lot at the Goldstone? Him and Stuart Storer on the wings

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well he gave Hart one this season...

I know you are saying you have nothing agaisnt Gary but your comments on his playing ability are very harsh. He is a great squad player, who plays really well alongside all the young signings in the reserves, is a great option to have for fringe games and as a back up if suspentions and injurys build up.

I do not believe Gus is in anyway sentimenal, Gary is probably on a very low wage and would have been let go long ago like many others if Gus felt he had no role to play.

Gary has had loads of offers to play everyweek at other clubs so he must also like/feel he has a role to play here. Experince means a lot in football and when I watch Gary play first/team reserves I see how he has matured as a player and still has great ability.

He may or may not get a new contract but I would like to still see his name on the team sheet next season.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Do me a favour.

Fine, give the bloke a deal as a coach if we must, after all pretty much all of Hart's contemporaries from the Adams Mk I era seem to have jobs for life here, but PLEASE don't waste any more of my hard earned season ticket money on a playing contract for Gary Hart. I don't CARE how much effort he puts in. I don't give a TOSS that he's a great guy in the dressing room. I do, however, care that all of our players have at least some contribution to offer on the pitch, and the answer to that one, where Hart is concerned, is a most definite no.
Alright Alright! Don't shoot the messenger! Although personally I've disagreed with Hart getting a new deal for the past 3-4 years now, I can't see any harm in giving him a few months at the start of next season. It's not as if he costs much anymore.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Without Gary Hart's contribution we would never have survived under Slade. This contribution came he had been written off (probably for abouth the 3rd time) by the majority of fans.

Gus see's him everyday in training and if he thinks he can do a job for the SQUAD that's good enough for me. I'm sure he set's a good example to the development squad players coming through and offers versatile backup for less important games.

I also thought he showed he still has it at Swindon 1st game of the season, really helped close the game out.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I cant see Hart going out on loan, doubt theres much point as I can see him retiring in the Summer, or dropping to non-league for a final fling.
Holroyd off on loan is a definate

Bennett...I'll be clenching my buttocks until 11pm!
Murray, cant see him going anywhere

Surprises?...I feel a sneaky bid for LuaLua!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If we don't do any business today, what is the longest we will be able to sign a loan player for come tomorrow (or whenever it opens). Can they be till end of season or are they 3 months max? Thinking mainly LuaLua till end of season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here