Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official Train Commuters Discussion Thread ****

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Personal rant: one of the first things they do if everything is delayed is run all the trains fast from HH to Brighton. They do this so they're not fined for late return services back out of Brighton, but it leaves those of us who live in Hassocks totally stuffed.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Personal rant: one of the first things they do if everything is delayed is run all the trains fast from HH to Brighton. They do this so they're not fined for late return services back out of Brighton, but it leaves those of us who live in Hassocks totally stuffed.

Thus, once again proving that the railways are not run for the benefit of its passengers, but for the benefit of its shareholders.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Sitting on the already-late 17:43 London Bridge to Littlehampton service and some worrying words come over the tannoy: "If there's a guard on the train, please make yourself visible."

Needed your train out the way so the 5.57 to Brighton could pull in. We left at 6.05 so that will be a late one in especially at lost another 4 mins into east croydon

In the old days the 5.57 was the 6.03 and it was timetabled then (as now) to arrive at 7.08. Only in those days it did...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
17:16 5 late so I assume on time

Jul 7, 2003

They do the same thing on the coastway lines. Have recently encountered the Southampton to Brighton service running fast to Brighton from Barnham (missing out around half of the stops for the service) and also seen Victoria to Littlehampton services 'terminated' at Worthing so that they can get back to LA in time for the next journey up.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree. And the new timetable is a shambles for Hassocks even when the trains are running normally.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And don't forget................just when you though the tube was good there is a TFL Bus Strike tomorrow as well to contend with.

Sets up laptop to WFH tomorrow

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And don't forget................just when you though the tube was good there is a TFL Bus Strike tomorrow as well to contend with.

Sets up laptop to WFH tomorrow

i read the turnout for the vote was 16%, with such apathy for a strike i wonder if there will be much notable difference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I left the bicycle at home today and got the tram to and from work. Nothing extraordinary to report I'm afraid. The local sausage stall had run out of bread rolls by 7pm though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am going to a gig tonight so I left the bicycle at home again and caught the tram. I missed the first one and had to wait 5 minutes for the next one.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Agree. And the new timetable is a shambles for Hassocks even when the trains are running normally.

Hassocks has been shafted, the service is awful.
Coming back from London Vic there are 5 trains to Hassocks between 3pm & 6pm- Burgess Hill has 9, nearly twice as much.
Considering driving to Burgess Hill.....

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

This annoys me too, they'll be a problem with a Thameslink train so they'll run 04 past the hour and cancel the 07 past the hour. So passengers at Preston Park and Hassocks have to wait half an hour for the next train. If they'd have run the 07 then people at Brighton would only be disadvantaged by having to get a train that arrived 10 mins later (or they could have even got the 19 past to Victoria).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Coming back from London Vic there are 5 trains to Hassocks between 3pm & 6pm- Burgess Hill has 9, nearly twice as much.

I guess the logic could be that BH population (and hence demand) is twice that of Hassocks at least.......still crap though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

I think thats pretty decent for somewhere like Hassocks , especially when you consider in addition to the 5 direct trains you have a further 8 trains that only require 1 change, this ultimately puts less than 10 minutes on the direct train journey.

I take your point but that is far from shafted.

As other posters have said, the amount of times (this year alone) southern have run trains fast and skipped stations on route . . that to me is shafted and shows a total disregard for passengers needs. If they cant get passengers from A to B on time , the minimum they should provide is A to B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here