Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** Official thread: England v Ireland, First (and only) Test Match, Lord's ***

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 85 all out (23.4 overs)

Murtagh 9-2-13-5
Adair 7.4-1-32-3
Rankin 3-1-5-2

What a morning.... well bowled Ireland, but a truly woeful performance from England with the bat.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thank goodness this nonsense isn't on FTA TV

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Fourth time in three years England have been bowled out in a single session. Why are people not getting sacked? No one questions Root, no one questions Bayliss. Still they will front up at the end of the day offering the usual platitudes and will carry on playimg the same shite brainless cricket, picking the same series of one day dashers and techniqueless idiots. I've had enough of this rubbish.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just say you were Joe Root, or Bairstow, or Roy or any of those England bats.

What’s your motivation in a test match? I mean your real motivation.

In a tricky situation, a few wickets down, Are you thinking,

“I need to dig in to save this test for my country at all costs”
or are you thinking,
“if my test strike rate is 100+, that’s going to increase my chances of getting an IPL contract. I’ll have a dart and if I get out, I’ll say I was playing my natural game”?

That’s why we’ve been bowled out in a session 4 times in the last 3 years.

Now when I was getting into cricket, was the time of Nasser Hussain, Graham Thorpe, Michael Atherton. Men who would give away their first born sons, before selling their wickets cheaply. Watching us now hurts.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I suppose Bayliss is on his way out and has survived this far as a test coach on the back of his ODI success. Wrong I know
Root is undroppable as a batsman, but could be stripped of the captaincy. But for who? They are all as bad as each other

Fourth time in three years England have been bowled out in a single session. Why are people not getting sacked? No one questions Root, no one questions Bayliss. Still they will front up at the end of the day offering the usual platitudes and will carry on playimg the same shite brainless cricket, picking the same series of one day dashers and techniqueless idiots. I've had enough of this rubbish.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Part of me is thinking this is a good thing.

A bit of a kick up the arse before the serious business. Hope they take the message though

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just say you were Joe Root, or Bairstow, or Roy or any of those England bats.

What’s your motivation in a test match? I mean your real motivation.

In a tricky situation, a few wickets down, Are you thinking,

“I need to dig in to save this test for my country at all costs”
or are you thinking,
“if my test strike rate is 100+, that’s going to increase my chances of getting an IPL contract. I’ll have a dart and if I get out, I’ll say I was playing my natural game”?

That’s why we’ve been bowled out in a session 4 times in the last 3 years.

Now when I was getting into cricket, was the time of Nasser Hussain, Graham Thorpe, Michael Atherton. Men who would give away their first born sons, before selling their wickets cheaply. Watching us now hurts.

I don't agree. Bairstow and Root are grafters. Today they were out in defensive mode. They have always been motivated. It's just a rotten, and transitional, day at the office.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If this was the only recent example, I'd agree with you

I don't agree. Bairstow and Root are grafters. Today they were out in defensive mode. They have always been motivated. It's just a rotten, and transitional, day at the office.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If this was the only recent example, I'd agree with you

I still think England will win this match. Should deliver a strong performance with the ball in the next session or so and once the pitch settles down begin to build.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Complacency.
2. Predictable.
3. Aussies just been given a massive boost.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1. Complacency.
2. Predictable.
3. Aussies just been given a massive boost.

There was nothing complacent about what I saw this morning. If anything they were lacking confidence. That said, it was hardly predictable either.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was nothing complacent about what I saw this morning. If anything they were lacking confidence. That said, it was hardly predictable either.

The most predictable thing in test cricket is that England will be 3 down before we've reached 50. It's been like this since Strauss retired, regardless of the opposition.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I suppose Bayliss is on his way out and has survived this far as a test coach on the back of his ODI success. Wrong I know
Root is undroppable as a batsman, but could be stripped of the captaincy. But for who? They are all as bad as each other

Buttler, the only one who seems to have his head screwed on in the test team. He always seems to assess the pitch and state of the match so well in ODI cricket. I am aware that this is a bit of a contradiction championing a one day cricketer for the test captaincy though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Of course now Bayliss has won the WC getting rid of him could be a quick win, bring in Ashley Giles as interim for the Ashes then appoint a new guy in the Autumn like they were already planning on doing. The Root one is interesting though as who could realistically replace him as being guaranteed a place in the team? Jos Buttler is the only realistic choice, Bairstow is too skittish and poor with reviews, Broad and Anderson are both long in the tooth (and bowlers rarely seem to make good captains), Stokes it seems has burnt his bridges and nobody else is guaranteed a spot.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The most predictable thing in test cricket is that England will be 3 down before we've reached 50. It's been like this since Strauss retired, regardless of the opposition.

Can't disagree with that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We might beat Ireland. That's what your saying?

It's the rest of the summer I'm more worried about

I still think England will win this match. Should deliver a strong performance with the ball in the next session or so and once the pitch settles down begin to build.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

In fairness to Ireland It helps when they have a bowler who's taken 291 First Class wickets at Lord's too before today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here