Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
We've been at a crossroads for nearly 5 weeks now and there is still no end in sight. Hopefully Thursday will sort this mess out once and for all, and then we can concentrate on working towards pre-season, getting in transfers and start of our campaign. But this is a dark shadow hanging over us, which needs to be resolved asap!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I understand that but as with any contract of employment a serious breach can justify immediate dismissal - or are you suggesting the alleged breach wasn't serious enough to justify immediate dismissal?

I think if he put his 'johnson' on display in front of the Albion Ladies team during shower time, then yes, he would be out of there,...... these issues are obviously more subtle than that.... therefore more care and preparation required, due process.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Appearing on the telly instead of staying at home and reading the legal paperwork may not cast him in a good light, but it's probably unreasonable to expect him to read it when English isn't his first language, and legal jargon ees complicated.

Can anyone clarify - is this sort of thing usually sorted out between lawyers, or could it go to tribunal? if the latter, it could take months.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
They don't, they said that GUS is confident he will prove there is no case to answer.

Just to be clear, however, we are confident that Gus will demonstrate there is no case to answer in this matter.

Why are they so confident if they haven't had time to read it all?

They should replace 'confident' with' hoping'

Aug 23, 2011
Just to be clear, however, we are confident that Gus will demonstrate there is no case to answer in this matter.

I'm pretty sure they read it and were prepared but wanted to do some posturing.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm pretty sure they read it and were prepared but wanted to do some posturing.

Yeah, pretty sure of that as well. I think the the fact the board called the meeting for today and made that public was to nail Gus and the LMA down to responding within 5 days of today.

Perhaps the board aren't the muppets some are seeming to claim.

Aug 23, 2011
Yeah, pretty sure of that as well. I think the the fact the board called the meeting for today and made that public was to nail Gus and the LMA down to responding within 5 days of today.

Perhaps the board aren't the muppets some are seeming to claim.

Yep that's what I thought. Both sides will have good lawyers and hopefully the truth will, if not come out publicly, at least settle this matter properly and we can move on and I hope there isn't too much mud slinging

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I'm sorry but that really is semantics. He is a member of their union, of course they are going to use bullish language, whether they believe it or not. We all know that unions have a habit of talking up a situation, however bloody absurd it may be.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Lord B has it right,.... this will be a drawn out affair, hearings, decisions, appeals, decisions, changes.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is not in agony, and he's certainly in no hurry. He's still being paid, and he'll in all likelihood eventually walk away with a substantial payoff.

Its the club that is in agony. For the club the clock is very much ticking, and its getting louder and louder. Time is of the essence now, of which Gus will be only too well aware. This whole saga has turned into a complete catastrophe, and is now causing untold damage to our preparations for the season.

IMHO it is precisely because the club want to move things along that they scheduled the meeting for today, rather than, say, Friday. They knew Gus would delay, but at least the delay is to later this week, rather than well into next. Well-played by the club IMHO. They also had to conduct a full and complete investigation or risk losing (allegedly) millions of pounds, which is why it has taken so long for us to get to where we are today. Have some faith in Tony and the board. Gus is going down.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm sorry but that really is semantics. He is a member of their union, of course they are going to use bullish language, whether they believe it or not. We all know that unions have a habit of talking up a situation, however bloody absurd it may be.

I know, I really should have put a :lolol: after the middle line of my post

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Another LMA expert! I've read that LMA statement several times and see NOTHING that the club need to worry about. But, as I say, I'm not a lawyer. So do tell.

Maybe you should read the League Manager Association's statement issued this evening on Gus' behalf before forming this opinion. Poyet only found out what the charges were on 13th June, the day before his hearing. The charges are over 500 pages long. The LMA contacted the club on 14th to say that Gus, and more importantly, his legal representative, couldn't attend until 20th or 21st June.
The club knew this but arranged another meeting for today, which Gus didn't attend because his legal rep wasn't available, but the club still issued a public statement saying Gus didn't turn up.
So the LMA issued a statement revealing the truth. As has been said previously on Nsc this evening, it is unusual for the LMA to release a statement like this.

I'm pro club and Bloom (although I have reservations about Barber) however I feel, in light of the LMA's statement, that the guff in the club statement about "disputed legal etc." does come over as an attempt to smear. Indeed the whole farce of pretending that there was going to be a meeting today, when they new that Gus and his team weren't going (within their rights) to attend looks like a deliberate attempt to make him look bad.

Backfired with me.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
IMHO it is precisely because the club want to move things along that they scheduled the meeting for today, rather than, say, Friday. They knew Gus would delay, but at least the delay is to later this week, rather than well into next. Well-played by the club IMHO. They also had to conduct a full and complete investigation or risk losing (allegedly) millions of pounds, which is why it has taken so long for us to get to where we are today. Have some faith in Tony and the board. Gus is going down.

It makes perfect sense for the board to have scheduled a date for the disciplinary hearing and for this to be adjourned to a date when GP and Richard Bevan could attend but why, after all these weeks of complete silence, issue a statement rather than waiting just a few more days and have something real to report?

Having gone down the "suspension" route I can also see that they had to carry out a "complete investigation" - the danger is of course that this "investigation" may well have failed to demonstrate a clear breach of contract serious enough to justify the dismissal of GP - if so where do they go from here?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009

Good post. I just hope you're right.

... Having gone down the "suspension" route I can also see that they had to carry out a "complete investigation" - the danger is of course that this "investigation" may well have failed to demonstrate a clear breach of contract serious enough to justify the dismissal of GP - if so where do they go from here?
The option of a negotiated departure is always available. As is usually the case when football managers leave before a contract is up.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not sure why everyone is obsessed with his TV appearance. He was working. Completely irrelevant.

Spot on. It wasn't so much his availability that caused today's delay. It was that of his professional body representative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here