Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
We are all now so close to this debacle that we are missing the point that this is a total ..ck up from all points of view.

The club is in disarray, it has created this mess on its own, and Gus Poyet is now being attacked savagely which I certainly believe lacks a lot of perspective.

He has brought the club (with the financial support of Tony Bloom) to a place where I for one was extremely proud of the way we performed on the pitch, and was not particularly angry that we didn't win every match by at least 3 clear goals as some here seemed to expect. He faced media questions about his future all the time, and has been pretty diplomatic with his responses. Since Barber turned up the wheels came off and now we have this shambolic handling of a disciplinary case which makes the club look totally inept, and fishing for justification of their actions all the time. Clearly Poyet cannot stay in a club where Barber now rules the roost - but I'm certain we'll live to regret this course of events in the future.

I don't wish to write off an approaching season that I was hoping to enjoy, but the on field preparation must be so much more damaged than we can imagine - and the remaining players must be scratching their heads in amazement - and definitely not feeling secure or stable. What an unholy mess - and please don't quote the "professionalsim of the club" in the way this has been handled - it is a complete joke.

SUPERB POST sir. Those are my feelings exactly.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As someone who has a lot of respect for the LMA and being unaware of a single case where the LMA has been found at fault, if this statement is true then I am disgusted by the behaviour of my club. If there is any truth to this statement then it is becoming to look more and more like a witchhunt. I would expect the club to defend itself from these charges or else be seen to be culpable.

If Gus has done something wrong then he should go but if there's truth to these statements then we are not talking about the club any more, we are talking about power struggles.
Sorry...you're saying it's the club at fault ? So that makes the club accuse Gus on trumped up charges....get real....if Gus had come in after the Palace play off game and said I'm gutted,but we are going to get more players in which we can afford and fight again he would've got the fans behind him...but he did something which might come to light later...maybe approached another club...I don't know...but on the basis 'There's no smoke without fire' I take it that Gus has breached his contract....if not I apologise but till then....the Club are far more important and bigger than Gus will ever be...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yes, but the club adjourned the meeting to Thu, as suggested by the LMA, so what is the problem here?

Because the club statement said they disputed the process issues raised by poyet. The meeting should never have been started. Seriously the lma don't make public statements of this detail very often. They have done this because of today's statement and, I suggest, because of the leaks and briefings last Thursday and Friday.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
just look at the polls,.... 75% back the club, not Gus,.....whilst every view is encouraged, I believe the club wouldn't spend this long compiling its case, then be prepared to enter into the fray with the evidence, if they were not sure of their ground.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We are all now so close to this debacle that we are missing the point that this is a total ..ck up from all points of view.

The club is in disarray, it has created this mess on its own, and Gus Poyet is now being attacked savagely which I certainly believe lacks a lot of perspective.

What an unholy mess - and please don't quote the "professionalsim of the club" in the way this has been handled - it is a complete joke.

There may have been financial reasons why the suspension path was chosen - but it is looking asinine at this moment. It would be good to think the club will come out of this mess with more credit than looks likely now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

He has brought the club (with the financial support of Tony Bloom) to a place where I for one was extremely proud of the way we performed on the pitch, and was not particularly angry that we didn't win every match by at least 3 clear goals as some here seemed to expect. He faced media questions about his future all the time, and has been pretty diplomatic with his responses. Since Barber turned up the wheels came off and now we have this shambolic handling of a disciplinary case which makes the club look totally inept, and fishing for justification of their actions all the time. Clearly Poyet cannot stay in a club where Barber now rules the roost - but I'm certain we'll live to regret this course of events in the future.

I don't wish to write off an approaching season that I was hoping to enjoy, but the on field preparation must be so much more damaged than we can imagine - and the remaining players must be scratching their heads in amazement - and definitely not feeling secure or stable. What an unholy mess - and please don't quote the "professionalsim of the club" in the way this has been handled - it is a complete joke.

Again, many assumptions there, including Paul Barber now running the club rather than Tony Bloom, and the club lacking professionalism because they have chosen to suspend 3 employees, including a key one, and conducted an investigation.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, but the club adjourned the meeting to Thu, as suggested by the LMA, so what is the problem here?

I think it comes down to what today's meeting was about for the club. If it was a case of starting the meeting, recording that Gus had informed them he would not be attending as his representative was unavailable and he require more time to study the report, so that the entire process is on the record, then it's all good. No problem, maybe the LMA should have not made such an issue of the meeting going ahead, but they were forced into it by the club's statement.

If they went ahead with the meeting, fully aware gus had would not be attending, knowing he wouldn't have representation, knowing he wouldn't have had time to read through the report, so that they can claim he has been uncooperative, to paint him to the fan base as a trouble maker, then the club is most definitely in the wrong.

I'm not sure if either released statement can be used to prove which of the above is the case. But, since no one would be the bad guy, I'd tend to believe the former myself, at least until more info comes out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Because the club statement said they disputed the process issues raised by poyet. The meeting should never have been started. Seriously the lma don't make public statements of this detail very often. They have done this because of today's statement and, I suggest, because of the leaks and briefings last Thursday and Friday.

Read the club statement carefully. It says "However, Gus Poyet elected not to attend for disputed legal reasons." The reasons were legal and disputed. So where's the problem?

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009

Ultimately we don't know what Gus (or Charlie) has or has not done, so the decision to suspend and discpline is potentially correct if there has been gross misconduct, but the suggested failiure of the club to follow fairly basic and obvious disciplinary procedures is alarming to say the least.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the club ( ie Barber and Bloom + board ) are getting an unfair battering on this board tonight.

Please remember the LMA are not neutral arbiters in this situation, they are firmly and definitely part of Gus' representation.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
just look at the polls,.... 75% back the club, not Gus,.....whilst every view is encouraged, I believe the club wouldn't spend this long compiling its case, then be prepared to enter into the fray with the evidence, if they were not sure of their ground.

That poll was 15 minutes after the clubs very carefully worded statement, that basically implied "Poyet couldn't be bothered to turn up" another bit of spin by the club which worked, as you said the poll had 75% backing them. I would love to see a poll now that the truth is out.

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
I think it comes down to what today's meeting was about for the club. If it was a case of starting the meeting, recording that Gus had informed them he would not be attending as his representative was unavailable and he require more time to study the report, so that the entire process is on the record, then it's all good. No problem, maybe the LMA should have not made such an issue of the meeting going ahead, but they were forced into it by the club's statement.

If they went ahead with the meeting, fully aware gus had would not be attending, knowing he wouldn't have representation, knowing he wouldn't have had time to read through the report, so that they can claim he has been uncooperative, to paint him to the fan base as a trouble maker, then the club is most definitely in the wrong.

I'm not sure if either released statement can be used to prove which of the above is the case. But, since no one would be the bad guy, I'd tend to believe the former myself, at least until more info comes out.

I am not sure option 1 is plausible surely you would just postpone to a, reasonable, mutually convenient date?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the club ( ie Barber and Bloom + board ) are getting an unfair battering on this board tonight.

Please remember the LMA are not neutral arbiters in this situation, they are firmly and definitely part of Gus' representation.

We don't know if it is unfair or not. But it is no different to the possibly unfair battering Gus has been receiving for the past four weeks.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This I understand. To me both parties are trying to paint the best picture possible for their respective cases, but I don't see either taking the other on in court over what was written today.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am not sure option 1 is plausible surely you would just postpone to a, reasonable, mutually convenient date?

Maybe, but this isn't something the club has a lot of experience with, and maybe they just want to cover their backsides.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I agree, the club are entitled to work to their own time table not Gus and his Union rep.

Also some seem to be still under the impression that this so called 500 page document only appeared on Friday.

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Finally the other side are allowed to speak.

The club, and Bloom, very much led by Barber have ****ed this up.

Your on very thin ice,if I was a lawyer for Bloom or Barber I would have you for slander.Where is your proof they ****ed up. Your going against a man that has get us a great new ground etc in favor of a man that loves himself and not the albion. Its a disgrace a mod can post such utter crap you make me sick with your anti bloom agenda you un gratefull .....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Maybe you should read the League Manager Association's statement issued this evening on Gus' behalf before forming this opinion. Poyet only found out what the charges were on 13th June, the day before his hearing. The charges are over 500 pages long. The LMA contacted the club on 14th to say that Gus, and more importantly, his legal representative, couldn't attend until 20th or 21st June.
The club knew this but arranged another meeting for today, which Gus didn't attend because his legal rep wasn't available, but the club still issued a public statement saying Gus didn't turn up.
So the LMA issued a statement revealing the truth. As has been said previously on Nsc this evening, it is unusual for the LMA to release a statement like this.
The LMA have issued a statement on Gus'behalf.....hardly likely to issue one on the clubs behalf are they ?
The charges are OVER 500 long....nothing seems to have been done wrong then...
The LMA has issued a statement revealing the truth....er,according to who....them?
If, and when Gus attends the hearing and is proved innocent and carries on,he will get my backing as manager....but I would never trust him again when a big job was in the window....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
OK, specifically what bit should the club be worried about?

Sorry am in bed and falling asleep.I cant answer the question again without specifics but if they have contravened their regulations, if they have made slanderous comments or if they are seen as contravening employment law all of those would be cause to worry. But these are all IFS. Remember I said IF the LMA are to be believed. Contravening their own published regulations IS a breach of employment law.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would love to see a poll now that the truth is out.
What bloody truth,... there is nothing out in the public domain yet,... his union says one thing, the club say something slightly different,...I back the clubs stance, you do what you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports