Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not remotely standard. In fact exceptional. You seem to be forgetting that once this mess is sorted out we will need a new manager. Any prospective candidate reading the LMA statement will be running a mile.

Unless of course they are already in place. And the club just wanted to take the earliest opportunity to try and put this to bed. Like some else said, if the meeting was set for Wednesday, who's to say Poyet wouldn't have shown up then and it had to be put back to next Monday. The club may have known this was going to happen but saw it as a way of getting everyone around the table at the earliest opportunity this week, before the players are due back next week???

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not sure how you can base such an opinion on a trade union statement. They're doing their job. Nothing more.

I once found myself embroiled in a dispute involving one of my team and the correspondence his union produced was the most inaccurate, one-sided piece of bullshit you'll ever read.

Yet their member walked away from the mess he'd created with a decent pay-off and not a stain on his character ... except among the few of us who knew the truth.

In my experience these issues are fiendishly difficult to handle, the employee generally holds more aces than the employer, and it's all too easy to look at the wreckage and conclude that the employer ballsed up. I don't believe that the club is handling this badly, purely on the basis that I have not seen all the facts. I doubt I've seen even 10% of them.

The probably difference between your case and the LMA is that the LMA conduct their business in the public eye and are therefore far more open to accusations of slander and their reputation is much more at stake. Comparing your case and this is like saying what happens in Hassocks has relevance to what happens in the Houses of Parliament.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
NO...... the investigation only finished four days ago which meant that WHEN Gus's team received the documentation they would have had less than four days to prepare. You would have also have to add into that time packing up, getting new flights coming back home etc. If ı was his lawyer I would have told him that is no time at all to get back and get prepared for defence. Saying 'frivolous' is just clutching at straws.

I was facetiously replying to another poster who suggested that Gus can have his holiday because he has lawyers / the LMA to fight his case.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I was facetiously replying to another poster who suggested that Gus can have his holiday because he has lawyers / the LMA to fight his case.

OK :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not really - he'd still need to attend the meeting. His reps would just build the case while he was away. It doesn't seem unreasonable to give his reps some time to read what appears to be a huge report. Unless of course the club want to rush them into reading and thus missing things.

Of course they want that.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm getting more confused by the day.
This thread is all about Gus, when Charlie and Tanno were also suspended. Obviously Tanno has had his suspension lifted.
Could it not be that Gus and perhaps Charlie were speaking to, and perhaps on the verge of joining another club. Perhaps (unlike Reading) they were not given permission and TB had realised (especially after the Reading talks) that he wanted Gus out, and he could use evidence to prove that both Gus and Charlie had broken their contracts.
If it was just Gus suspended then perhaps the "not enough funds for transfer" etc could have been the issue, but then why would that involve suspending Charlie as well.

I seem to recall that Charlie is an 'unrelated issue'.
Why it seems to be taking longer than Gus' is strange though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To be brutally honest I hope you are right because the club is more important to me than Gus but unfortunately I think your are totally blinded by your dislike of Gus. Ive felt that something smellt off since Day 1 and today its started to come out. The club may have very good reasons for getting rid of Gus and if they are fair then Im 100% behind them but an official statement from the LMA is not a rumour in the Mail. It's powerful and we should treat it as such.

Why are you so dismayed by the LMA statement? Doesn't seem very damaging to the club to me (but I'm no lawyer).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The probably difference between your case and the LMA is that the LMA conduct their business in the public eye and are therefore far more open to accusations of slander and their reputation is much more at stake. Comparing your case and this is like saying what happens in Hassocks has relevance to what happens in the Houses of Parliament.

Well, admittedly the case I'm referring to wasn't a public one. But it could easily have led to a tribunal, which is open to public scrutiny. Employment law is employment law; contract law is contract law. I don't see that it matters whether you're in the public eye or not. Unions have achieved publicity for the work they've done for "nobodies" as well as members who are better known.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. Cheshire cat has got it right above. If the LMA are to believed, they've contravened their own regulations and are in breach of employment law.

OK, specifically what bit should the club be worried about?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'm in the opposite camp - I'm pissed off with the club for letting this happen. How can you blame Gus in any way for taking his lawyers advice, especially when there is a good chance that it is the club that ****ed him over?
Just how did you reach that conclusion...how did the club 'f**ked him over?'...Gus has been taken to task for NUMOUROUS breaches of contract....they have called him in to dispute the charges and answer the critics of his behaviour...he has not turned up....seems like the club has done everything to sort this out and there is no way Gus is bigger than the club...I thank Gus for his input into the club and getting us to play better football....but now is the time to get off the Gus Bus....thanks Gus...great ride, but it's time you moved on.......whilst looking for a more 'in your face' job you might consider that your 'passion' for the BHA is as real as Katy Prices boobs.......

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I seem to recall that Charlie is an 'unrelated issue'.
Why it seems to be taking longer than Gus' is strange though.

Cheers Bob. Just seems strange that the three of them were suspended at the same time for what seems different reasons.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thanks to ROSM and Lord B for their information about how these things work. It simply seems to me that whoever had the lack of foresight and allowed this train to be set on track should not be without censure should this be settled any point soon.

Football clubs are not a "normal" business and to think the processes that are ok for a bank or an insurance company work in the environment of a football club need their head examined. There may be good reasons why they need to try - but it simply does not work. As we have seen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Finally the other side are allowed to speak.

The club, and Bloom, very much led by Barber have ****ed this up.

Really? And how do you come to that conclusion?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not remotely standard. In fact exceptional. You seem to be forgetting that once this mess is sorted out we will need a new manager. Any prospective candidate reading the LMA statement will be running a mile.
I can assure you that is very standard, your reaction is emotive crappage, its a union, they represent his interests, they are duty bound, and like all legal representation, will swear that black is white if it suits their clients agenda. They will be found out once the full case is reviewed this week, I suspect very much that Gus is delaying simply to push the club into panicking at how close the season is, and paying him off just to get on with it before its too late.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Another LMA expert! I've read that LMA statement several times and see NOTHING that the club need to worry about. But, as I say, I'm not a lawyer. So do tell.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. But the Lma have, and unless they are outright lying, then I believe them I'm what it says. Especially as I have been responsible from the business side for producing a revised handbool for the UK arm of a major multinational company as well as defending said handbooks in disputes (and also picking holes in other company handbooks when assisting people with their issues). This clause is very standard, indeed if anything 5 days is at the lower end if usual.

Yes, but the club adjourned the meeting to Thu, as suggested by the LMA, so what is the problem here?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There are honestly too many imponderables there. If FOR EXAMPLE, they provide video evidence of Gus quite clearly doing something that is in breach of contract, there are no mitigating circumstances and there is no provision then yes they could get away scot free and possibly appoint a manager the same day. This is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN. Even in this case Gus could appeal and allow the club could appoint a new manager there may be serious financial comeback further down the line.

Thank you. That is all I needed to know, since I am pretty sure they have him by the short and curlies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just how did you reach that conclusion...how did the club 'f**ked him over?'...Gus has been taken to task for NUMOUROUS breaches of contract....they have called him in to dispute the charges and answer the critics of his behaviour...he has not turned up....seems like the club has done everything to sort this out and there is no way Gus is bigger than the club...I thank Gus for his input into the club and getting us to play better football....but now is the time to get off the Gus Bus....thanks Gus...great ride, but it's time you moved on.......whilst looking for a more 'in your face' job you might consider that your 'passion' for the BHA is as real as Katy Prices boobs.......

Maybe you should read the League Manager Association's statement issued this evening on Gus' behalf before forming this opinion. Poyet only found out what the charges were on 13th June, the day before his hearing. The charges are over 500 pages long. The LMA contacted the club on 14th to say that Gus, and more importantly, his legal representative, couldn't attend until 20th or 21st June.
The club knew this but arranged another meeting for today, which Gus didn't attend because his legal rep wasn't available, but the club still issued a public statement saying Gus didn't turn up.
So the LMA issued a statement revealing the truth. As has been said previously on Nsc this evening, it is unusual for the LMA to release a statement like this.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
We are all now so close to this debacle that we are missing the point that this is a total ..ck up from all points of view.

The club is in disarray, it has created this mess on its own, and Gus Poyet is now being attacked savagely which I certainly believe lacks a lot of perspective.

He has brought the club (with the financial support of Tony Bloom) to a place where I for one was extremely proud of the way we performed on the pitch, and was not particularly angry that we didn't win every match by at least 3 clear goals as some here seemed to expect. He faced media questions about his future all the time, and has been pretty diplomatic with his responses. Since Barber turned up the wheels came off and now we have this shambolic handling of a disciplinary case which makes the club look totally inept, and fishing for justification of their actions all the time. Clearly Poyet cannot stay in a club where Barber now rules the roost - but I'm certain we'll live to regret this course of events in the future.

I don't wish to write off an approaching season that I was hoping to enjoy, but the on field preparation must be so much more damaged than we can imagine - and the remaining players must be scratching their heads in amazement - and definitely not feeling secure or stable. What an unholy mess - and please don't quote the "professionalsim of the club" in the way this has been handled - it is a complete joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports