Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The statement from the LMA is a bog standard statement, they would have issued for any manager going through this. That's why they are the managers union, they are hardly likely to say, " Mr Poyet didn't turn up today just to be awkward , therefore causing as much disruption to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and their preparations for the coming season, as he possible can. Because he is very difficult man to co-operate with. Unless everything is on his own terms and he does not like being told what to do and likes everyone to dance to his tune"...are they???

To turn that around, why did Barber leave out this key bit of information from his press statement ? There's something horribly fishy going on with this.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ok this is the deal. Poyet and Barber DO NOT get on. Poyet after the suspension has decided to gun for Barber. After all if he is gone, why not bring him down with him by going ALL the way to refute these charges ? The club have found nothing of substance under employment law to nail him. Poyet and his legal team know this. Poyet get's on ok with Bloom but Bloom has had enough of his hystrionics so he wants shot. Poyet wants out but with a pay off and his " reputation " in tact. The 3 of them are working a way out to make this happen. That is the stalemate we are at and like it or not I think I am right on this one.

On this basis the 500 pages are a waste of money then?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Ok this is the deal. Poyet and Barber DO NOT get on. Poyet after the suspension has decided to gun for Barber. After all if he is gone, why not bring him down with him by going ALL the way to refute these charges ? The club have found nothing of substance under employment law to nail him. Poyet and his legal team know this. Poyet get's on ok with Bloom but his sniping at the budget over the season has worn Bloom down, Bloom has had enough of his hystrionics so he wants shot. Poyet wants out but with a pay off and his " reputation " in tact. The 3 of them are working a way out to make this happen. That is the stalemate we are at and like it or not I think I am right on this one.

Is this a plot for your new film or just absolute shite.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
They aren't formally at negotiation yet. He was suspended.

they provided details of the charges on 13th (last Thursday, the day it was leaked that he would attend a hearing on Friday which he clearly was never going to, which also led to leaks that he had refused to attend),

they provided 500pages of detail and arranged a disciplinary panel hearing for Monday 17th (so less than 2 working days)

The club were informed Gus wouldnt be attending and also that his lma rep wasn't available until 20th. However the club chose to go ahead and commence despite his reasonable absence. and then claimed they dispute a matter of procedure that now appears to be adherence to their own handbook......

The most sensible post on this thread

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm just wondering, reading some of the posts on here, whether the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" has been suspended along with Gus. Plenty of people seem prepared to judge him without having heard or read a shred of evidence for or against him.

Gus may be proved to have done some terrible things. Or he may not. I don't even know what he is accused of. But some of my fellow Albion fans, who are presumably just as ignorant as I am (maybe even more ignorant), want him out of the club now. Yesterday. Even sooner than that.

Whether he's innocent or guilty, he's entitled to be properly represented before his accusers. I assume everyone posting here would expect the same rights if they were facing accusations of wrongdoing by their employers.

Okay, there's a football season coming up that the club needs to prepare for. But justice is justice, surely?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
To turn that around, why did Barber leave out this key bit of information from his press statement ? There's something horribly fishy going on with this.

He didn't leave nothing out. The meeting didn't happen and it's happening later in the week. Short, sweet and to the point. It's not Barber's place to go into the reasons why Poyet didn't attend but just to state the facts as they are. Which he did.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Or maybe the fact they had been told the LMA couldn't attend today rather than the mis-truth Barber has put out ?

Again, where is the 'mis-truth' in the club's statement?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
i don't understand why barber is getting the flack, there's a board. That board containers multiple people who run different departments...seeing as Dick Knight is the honorary lifetime president, he chairs the meetings. He can get the flak and explain where the 83 FA Cup final money went!

I agree that it is the Board that takes decisions rather than Barber. I don't think we need to make it personal

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
No, I wouldn't, as I'm on leave, which is a right. Also, as a football manager, there's a pretty defined time of the year you have to take as leave, isn't there?

So your house burns down while you are on leave but you don't come back to sort it out coz it's your right not to.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Isn't there something in statement about "process". My guess is that any lawyer worth his salt will always be able to find something wrong with the legal "process" or at least something they could object to.

So, his legal advice is to not attend until the "process" matter has been clarified.

This could go on for flaming weeks - once lawyers get involved they can make something simple become ultra complex and expensive!

My guess is the club are sure of their position, they will give "the grinning one" a third chance to appear later this week. If he doesn't turn up they will terminate his contract citing they have acted reasonably and in the best commercial and sporting interests of the club (with pre season about to start and fixtures released etc).

His Lawyers will counter claim but this time on the basis of the club honouring his contract (compensation) as the club will have terminated it. This will then go down to arbitration and involve LMA. He won't get 2.5m and we won't get away with paying nothing - this is only my view. Apologies I know we shouldn't surmise, but I cant stop it - this is driving me crazy I seem to have been checking every 10 minutes for updates over the last 4 weeks (like a lot of others I guess!!)

Spot on for me. It's now coming to a head, which is a good thing. If Gus doesn't show again, then the decision is made without him being there. I know which way that's going now. Onwards and upwards.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He didn't leave nothing out. The meeting didn't happen and it's happening later in the week. Short, sweet and to the point. It's not Barber's place to go into the reasons why Poyet didn't attend but just to state the facts as they are. Which he did.

Again, where is the 'mis-truth' in the club's statement?

This bit :

"However, Gus Poyet elected not to attend for disputed legal reasons."

Very carefully worded to imply Gus was at fault. How have the club managed to get "disputed legal reasons" from his LMA representative not being available today and for which he has a legal right to have at the meeting. As someone else has posted - the club aren't even following their own procedures.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was flamed on another thread by saying that Poyet would do all he could to f*ck the club up. I was proved to be right. The thing is when you call it right those people melt into the background and do not have the decency to admit you may have had a point. That is NSC always ready to flame but never with the good grace to admit it when you called something right. I stand by my earlier post and think I nailed it in that post. Feel free to believe what you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here